Mysterious Fatal Error during upgrade from 98SE to XP. Why..

Trying to upgrade from 98se to xp with the cd. If I ask the CD to run the
compatibility check it soon stops and gives me the message "Fatal Error.
Cannot create temporary folder, installation will be interuppted".
If I ignore this and cheekily go on and try an installation of the upgrade
anyway, it soon blocks completely in the preparatory phase (with 71 minutes
remaining till completion).
I've already disinistalled Norton, Nero, Office 97, I've disconnected a
printer and an old modem - but it doesn't strike me as a compatibility
problem and I can't see anything that could be causing this to happen - any
bright sparks out there got an idea??? I really would prefer NOT to have to
go and get a full install. Thanks for reading this.

--
Kevo
2 answers Last reply

    How to prepare to upgrade Windows 98 or Windows Millennium Edition to Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316639
    Error messages appear during upgrade from Windows Me or Windows 98 to Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307153
    Release Notes for Windows XP Setup Contained in the Home.txt File
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306824
    --
    Mary Sauer MS MVP
    http://office.microsoft.com/

    Kevo wrote:
    > Trying to upgrade from 98se to xp with the cd. If I ask the CD to
    > run
    > the compatibility check it soon stops and gives me the message
    > "Fatal
    > Error. Cannot create temporary folder, installation will be
    > interuppted".
    > If I ignore this and cheekily go on and try an installation of the
    > upgrade anyway, it soon blocks completely in the preparatory phase
    > (with 71 minutes remaining till completion).
    > I've already disinistalled Norton, Nero, Office 97, I've
    > disconnected
    > a printer and an old modem - but it doesn't strike me as a
    > compatibility problem and I can't see anything that could be causing
    > this to happen - any bright sparks out there got an idea??? I really
    > would prefer NOT to have to go and get a full install. Thanks for
    > reading this.
    >
    > --
    > Kevo

    Have you made sure that your PC's hardware components are capable
    of supporting WinXP? This information will be found at the PC's
    manufacturer's web site, and on Microsoft's Windows Catalog:
    (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx) Additionally, run
    Microsoft WinXP Upgrade Advisor to see if you have any incompatible
    hardware components or applications.

    You should, before proceeding, take a few minutes to ensure that
    there are WinXP device drivers available for all of the machine's
    components. There may not be, if the PC was specifically designed for
    Win98/Me. Also bear in mind that PCs designed for, sold and run fine
    with Win9x/Me very often do not meet WinXP's much more stringent
    hardware quality requirements. This is particularly true of many
    models in Compaq's consumer-class Presario product line or HP's
    consumer-class Pavilion product line. WinXP, like WinNT and Win2K
    before it, is quite sensitive to borderline defective or substandard
    hardware (particularly motherboards, RAM and hard drives) that will
    still support Win9x.

    HOW TO Prepare to Upgrade Win98 or WinMe
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316639

    Upgrading to Windows XP
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

    HOW TO Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation When You
    Upgrade from Windows 98 or Windows Me
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q310064

    --

    Bruce Chambers