Ultimate Mobo (+CPU) for Audio Production?

BlackHole

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
Hi

I'd like to know from people already running sequencers, soft-samplers and soft-synths (all three together) on their PCs (or anyone else in the know) what the ideal kind or model of motherboard would be, in terms of absolute minimal latency and other production issues. I'd even be more grateful if somebody could suggest one. Since RDRAM is on the decline, I'd be looking at DDR Ram support.

Anyone who's done production, I'm sure, appreciates the importance of minimal latency.

Thanks very much.

jheine

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2002
Latency is key. My system at the moment:
ASUS A7V333 /w RAID (about to install Lumberjack BIOS)
AMD Athlon XP 2100+
2 - WD800JB in RAID 0
512MB Corsair XMS PC2700 CAS2
Matrox G550 (for dual monitor support)
3-Com NIC (don't remember model, but pricey one /w management)
Chieftec case /w Enermax 430W PSU
Lite-On DVD
Yamaha CRW-F1EZ

I went with the A7V333 because of the Firewire. I'm using the MOTU 828 Audio interface and a MOTU MicroExpress USB MIDI interface. I wouldn't normally recommend USB devices, but I needed compatability on multiple systems. USB audio is still sketchy in my book - latency issues.

Look at the mobos with the nForce2 chipset. I think they may be the best bet now. I'm considering picking one up along with another 512MB and a third WD800JB as a system drive, keeping the RAID cluster for data only. I also will be building an 1600+ system in a 2U rack for live gigs. If you can afford the better stuff, by all means go for it. Even though some of the software out there supports dual processors, I don't think it's worth the extra cash unless you plan on running alot of softsynths. 256MB of memory is a minimum. 120MB HDD would be minimum as well, as you'll have most music in .wav format for the final mixdown. I'd skip the Audigy and go for a Terratec soundcard minimum. Also, be sure to consider your case fans and HSF for noise. A Delta screamer will keep the CPU cool as hell, but you won't be able to mic anything unless it's across the house. I'm using a Zalman CNPS6000-cu because it's quiet when the fanmate is cranked down. Also, I would't overclock, since timing is everything.

Jarrett

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new"><b><font color=red>Join The THGC Music Project</font color=red></b></A>

BlackHole

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
I was looking more at Intel P4 boards. This'll be the first system I'm assembling so I dont want the potential of my CPU frying, no offense to Athlon users, due to my lack of cooler or setup knowledge somehow. Besides the 3 Ghz performs quite good.

I was planning to get a USB midisport 2 x 2, I never realised USB latency was a problem because the USB transfer rate is far greater than ancient Midi.

Ideally my mobo would support 333 (I'd love to wait for Dual DDR 333 but its too far away), SATA for future HD upgrades, Firewire, plenty of USB 2 ports, etc... oh and good performance figures.

I'm still very open and would greatly appreciate any suggestions...

bob_dn

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
Crashman posted <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=530172#530172" target="_new">this</A>. Dual DDR 333 from AOpen with the SiS655/963 chipset.

<font color=red><i>"Does your contract have a sanity clause?"
"Are you kidding? Everybody know there's no sanity clause!" - Chico Marx</i></font color=red>