Travel Charger Question

I have a charger from my Nextel I90 and another for my V60S. The connectors
are the same, the one for the nextel has slightly higher voltage and
current. It was made for its standard battery, which is the extended
battery for the V60S.

Both seem to charge just fine in the V60S. Is there any advantage or
disadvantage to using one or the other?

Also, sometimes with my V60S, I will be at two bars. If I power down the
phone and power it up again, I get three bars for quite a while. Any
explanation?

--
-----------========::::::::::+::::::::::========---------
ken@tssf.org Ken E. Norian Long Island, NY USA

By a "slightly higher voltage" what kind of voltage are we talking about?
Can you list the values?

As far as the current rating goes, it is totally fine to use a charger that
has a higher rating for a lower current application.

I wonder if one is a rapid charger vs. a normal charger?

-Eric

"K.E.N." <kenorian@see.sig.for.email> wrote in message
> I have a charger from my Nextel I90 and another for my V60S. The
connectors
> are the same, the one for the nextel has slightly higher voltage and
> current. It was made for its standard battery, which is the extended
> battery for the V60S.
>
> Both seem to charge just fine in the V60S. Is there any advantage or
> disadvantage to using one or the other?
>
> Also, sometimes with my V60S, I will be at two bars. If I power down the
> phone and power it up again, I get three bars for quite a while. Any
> explanation?
>
> --
> -----------========::::::::::+::::::::::========---------
> ken@tssf.org Ken E. Norian Long Island, NY USA
> http://tssf.org/kenshome.html
> ----------========::::::::::+::::::::::========---------

K.E.N. <kenorian@see.sig.for.email> wrote:
> I have a charger from my Nextel I90 and another for my V60S. The connectors
> are the same, the one for the nextel has slightly higher voltage and
> current. It was made for its standard battery, which is the extended
> battery for the V60S.
>
> Both seem to charge just fine in the V60S. Is there any advantage or
> disadvantage to using one or the other?

If you want to blow up your phone, that's your choice. If you're going
to blow up a phone, I'd suggest not ruining a Motorola handset as they
tend to be expensive.

If the chargers are rated for different voltages, THEY ARE NOT INTERCHANGEABLE.
Fry your phone this way and bang, you've voided the warranty if it hasn't
expired.

Joseph

Distinguished
May 19, 2002

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 00:48:15 -0500, Steven J Sobol
<sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:

>If you want to blow up your phone, that's your choice. If you're going
>to blow up a phone, I'd suggest not ruining a Motorola handset as they
>tend to be expensive.
>
>If the chargers are rated for different voltages, THEY ARE NOT INTERCHANGEABLE.
>Fry your phone this way and bang, you've voided the warranty if it hasn't
>expired.

Often "trickle" chargers will have lower output voltage than travel
"quick" chargers. And BTW Motorola makes both the V60 and the i90.
All Nextel phones are made by Motorola the last time I checked.

remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply

If you have to ask this question you are taking a strong chance on a very
real application of a 'smoke test'.

I *would not* do what you propose. FWIW I spent the last 12 years
designing wireless phones.

"Eric Rosenberry"
| By a "slightly higher voltage" what kind of voltage are we talking about?
| Can you list the values?
|
| As far as the current rating goes, it is totally fine to use a charger
that
| has a higher rating for a lower current application.
|
| I wonder if one is a rapid charger vs. a normal charger?
|
| -Eric
|
| "K.E.N." <kenorian@see.sig.for.email> wrote in message
| > I have a charger from my Nextel I90 and another for my V60S. The
| connectors
| > are the same, the one for the nextel has slightly higher voltage and
| > current. It was made for its standard battery, which is the extended
| > battery for the V60S.
| >
| > Both seem to charge just fine in the V60S. Is there any advantage or
| > disadvantage to using one or the other?
| >
| > Also, sometimes with my V60S, I will be at two bars. If I power down
the
| > phone and power it up again, I get three bars for quite a while. Any
| > explanation?

Then why are the same car chargers sold for multiple phones, whose "travel
chargers" have slightly varying voltages and current?

--
-----------========::::::::::+::::::::::========---------

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 03:49:27 GMT, "K.E.N." <kenorian@see.sig.for.email>
wrote:
>I have a charger from my Nextel I90 and another for my V60S. The connectors
>are the same, the one for the nextel has slightly higher voltage and
>current.

Can you PLEASE tell us the output voltage and current specs for the two
chargers? Thank you...

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 03:49:27 GMT, "K.E.N."
<kenorian@see.sig.for.email> wrote:

>Also, sometimes with my V60S, I will be at two bars. If I power down the
>phone and power it up again, I get three bars for quite a while. Any
>explanation?

As the people who designed the phones have stated before, the signal
strength has no 'reality' conversion - i.e. it doesn't really mean
anything.

Evan

In article <5e3tb01t2ikl1csnol84st73o941kq6673@4ax.com>,
Evan Platt <evan@TheObvious.espphotography.com> wrote:
>On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 03:49:27 GMT, "K.E.N."
><kenorian@see.sig.for.email> wrote:
>
>>Also, sometimes with my V60S, I will be at two bars. If I power down the
>>phone and power it up again, I get three bars for quite a while. Any
>>explanation?
>
>As the people who designed the phones have stated before, the signal
>strength has no 'reality' conversion - i.e. it doesn't really mean
>anything.

It's not even clear what it SHOULD mean on a CDMA phone. With CDMA,
everyone uses the same frequency at the same time. You could have a
strong signal, but with so many users at that instant that you might have
trouble holding the call due to the "noise". Phones vary as to their
signal strength and signal quality requirements. Phone manufacturers
use some combination of strength and noise level to compute bars.
The computation can even change from one version of the software for a
given phone to another version for the SAME phone.

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 03:49:27 GMT, "K.E.N."
<kenorian@see.sig.for.email> wrote:

>Also, sometimes with my V60S, I will be at two bars. If I power down the
>phone and power it up again, I get three bars for quite a while. Any
>explanation?

Which indicator bars are you talking about? Signal or battery?