Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

After installing sp2, I am getting a runtime error when I close IE. This
only occurs when closing IE after opening a link from Outlook Express. When
closing IE after opening IE normally, it does NOT occur.

These are the two popups I get:

ie explorer.exe - Application Error
The instruction at "0x01203812" referred to "0x012cbb08". The memory could
not be read. Click OK to terminate the program.

Runtime error 216 at 01203812

I did a check at Microsoft Knowledgebase and it refers to a SubSeven Trojan
virus as possible and the solution is run an update antivirus while
disconnected from the internet. I made sure my Norton's AV was updated and
then ran it while disconnected from the internet. Norton's showed NO
infections.

Does anyone know of a fix for this?

Usually runtime errors deal with memory,ram and/or virtual memory,if
ram is adequate,try opening system properties,settings,advanced,click on
change button,highlight C: drive,set to: "let windows manage",then click
set 2X,close-out,a restart should be prompted.

"Jerry" wrote:

> After installing sp2, I am getting a runtime error when I close IE. This
> only occurs when closing IE after opening a link from Outlook Express. When
> closing IE after opening IE normally, it does NOT occur.
>
> These are the two popups I get:
>
> ie explorer.exe - Application Error
> The instruction at "0x01203812" referred to "0x012cbb08". The memory could
> not be read. Click OK to terminate the program.
>
> Runtime error 216 at 01203812
>
> I did a check at Microsoft Knowledgebase and it refers to a SubSeven Trojan
> virus as possible and the solution is run an update antivirus while
> disconnected from the internet. I made sure my Norton's AV was updated and
> then ran it while disconnected from the internet. Norton's showed NO
> infections.
>
> Does anyone know of a fix for this?

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have 512mb DDR ram. This system has been running fine for almost 2 years
and this is the first time seeing this error and it only occurred after
installing sp2.
> Usually runtime errors deal with memory,ram and/or virtual memory,if
> ram is adequate,try opening system properties,settings,advanced,click on
> change button,highlight C: drive,set to: "let windows manage",then click
> set 2X,close-out,a restart should be prompted.
>
> "Jerry" wrote:
>
>> After installing sp2, I am getting a runtime error when I close IE. This
>> only occurs when closing IE after opening a link from Outlook Express.
>> When
>> closing IE after opening IE normally, it does NOT occur.
>>
>> These are the two popups I get:
>>
>> ie explorer.exe - Application Error
>> The instruction at "0x01203812" referred to "0x012cbb08". The memory
>> could
>> not be read. Click OK to terminate the program.
>>
>> Runtime error 216 at 01203812
>>
>> I did a check at Microsoft Knowledgebase and it refers to a SubSeven
>> Trojan
>> virus as possible and the solution is run an update antivirus while
>> disconnected from the internet. I made sure my Norton's AV was updated
>> and
>> then ran it while disconnected from the internet. Norton's showed NO
>> infections.
>>
>> Does anyone know of a fix for this?

Jerry,

Confirm that SP2 is FULLY installed by following the steps here
under the " MORE INFORMATION " heading :
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888162

It is conceivable that the system was not free of ad|mal|spyware and
XP SP2 did not install completely.

MowGreen [MVP]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Jerry wrote:

> I have 512mb DDR ram. This system has been running fine for almost 2 years
> and this is the first time seeing this error and it only occurred after
> installing sp2.
> "Andrew E." <eckrichco@msn.com> wrote in message
>
>>Usually runtime errors deal with memory,ram and/or virtual memory,if
>>ram is adequate,try opening system properties,settings,advanced,click on
>>change button,highlight C: drive,set to: "let windows manage",then click
>>set 2X,close-out,a restart should be prompted.
>>
>>"Jerry" wrote:
>>

>>>After installing sp2, I am getting a runtime error when I close IE. This
>>>only occurs when closing IE after opening a link from Outlook Express.
>>>When
>>>closing IE after opening IE normally, it does NOT occur.
>>>
>>>These are the two popups I get:
>>>
>>>ie explorer.exe - Application Error
>>>The instruction at "0x01203812" referred to "0x012cbb08". The memory
>>>could
>>>not be read. Click OK to terminate the program.
>>>
>>>Runtime error 216 at 01203812
>>>
>>>I did a check at Microsoft Knowledgebase and it refers to a SubSeven
>>>Trojan
>>>virus as possible and the solution is run an update antivirus while
>>>disconnected from the internet. I made sure my Norton's AV was updated
>>>and
>>>then ran it while disconnected from the internet. Norton's showed NO
>>>infections.
>>>
>>>Does anyone know of a fix for this?

rhamilton7322

Distinguished
May 2, 2008
Hey this is my first time on this site. It's pretty cool. Lots of good stuff on here. I'm sorry if this seems ignorant, but have you checked to see if you have DEP turned on? That gets enabled with SP2.