No used PC games at GameStop?

gta_bmx

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2008
I stopped into a GameStop about a month ago, and there were no used PC games. I can't remember if there were brand new PC games or not. Definitely not any used PC games. The guy working there said they don't carry them. I wonder if this is going to be the new GameStop/EB Games policy or if this store's manager just doesn't like to stock PC games? If he's not buying used PC games or accepting them in on trade, then of course they won't have any to sell. Might be a chicken/egg issue. They might not sell many PC games, so they don't bother buying them or trading for them, so as a result, they of course have NONE to sell.

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
EB's usually still have a few used PC games, but I haven't seen a Gamestop with used PC games in a long time.

The whole not knowing if the serial code is still in use by the seller makes it unlikely that they will start buying used PC games any time real soon too.

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
I actually went into GAMESTOP that I usually don't go in and they had the new PC games open and took the disks out (to stop shoplifters LOL) but left the books and the case on shelves. I told the person who was working there, that all someone would have to do is write down the CODE borrow there friends disks or download illegal or legal copy off the net and they have a free game. The clerk said ZOMG your are right I better tell my manager. Needless to say I went in there a couple of weeks later and they still had them on the shelves with the manuals in them lol...

ricktavius

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
EB owns Gamestop. They both sell new PC games. I was told by the manager at my local Gamestop that it was illegal for them to buy and sell used PC games due to the industry regulations which point to the fact that it is much too easy to copy and counterfeit PC games.

darkstar01

Distinguished
May 31, 2008

Does anyone realize how easy it is to copy and play Xbox, Xbox 360, PS3, PSP, etc... games tooo? they act or pretend like piracy on consoles isn't alive and well? Are they oblivious or are they just trying to sell more crappy console systems? I mean seriously now due to Red Box people can simply rent the game for an hour, copy and return it... Red Box is the bane of the gaming industry LOL. Thankfully I'm a PC gamer, and I play games that actually require skill, not random button mashing...

darkstar01

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Also PC games will probably never be sold used, because of the serial number issues associated with it, if there was a quick way to look up a game to see if it was already registered, than PC games would have a market, or if companies allowed people to unregister a game or transfer license to a third party like GameStop than this would work out. It would be something like... a company would register serials with a third party company, that company would broker exchanges of that property back and forth between users. At least that is My Idea. Another thing people don't realize is that trade-ability of console games actually increases their value, and Console games tend to sell for 5-10+$ more per game for the same game. Thus if PC games were trade-able than their price would be about the same price as Console systems.

Think about World of Warcraft for example, while you could sell the account, you could not sell the actual CD key due to the fact that it was already "USED UP" meaning when someone tries the code again the game companies system will reject it.

darkstar01

Distinguished
May 31, 2008

It is against the forum rules to ask those questions here, why don't you google it or use Youtube on Modchips, etc... Good luck.