Unsharing Printers

I have an uncle whom I let use my computer. He gets on this things and prints
out masses of documents and its burning up my cartridges like mad. I've tried
disabling printers both through my Acct and through the Administrator with no
success~

Is there something else I need to know?
Or do I contact the printer/software manufacturer?

I'm using WindowsXP Home Ed.

Right click the Printer icons in (Printers and Faxes, Control Panel) choose
sharing > Do not share this printer > OK.

Andre
"Bah~Bah~Briggsey" <Bah~Bah~Briggsey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:A65C2932-72EE-4B3E-BF9A-95BD3EC3F997@microsoft.com...
>I have an uncle whom I let use my computer. He gets on this things and
>prints
> out masses of documents and its burning up my cartridges like mad. I've
> tried
> disabling printers both through my Acct and through the Administrator with
> no
> success~
>
> Is there something else I need to know?
> Or do I contact the printer/software manufacturer?
>
> I'm using WindowsXP Home Ed.

You know I was going to suggest that in first place Rick, but it seems I
misinterpreted the problem.

Andre
"Bah~Bah~Briggsey" <Bah~Bah~Briggsey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:A65C2932-72EE-4B3E-BF9A-95BD3EC3F997@microsoft.com...
>I have an uncle whom I let use my computer. He gets on this things and
>prints
> out masses of documents and its burning up my cartridges like mad. I've
> tried
> disabling printers both through my Acct and through the Administrator with
> no
> success~
>
> Is there something else I need to know?
> Or do I contact the printer/software manufacturer?
>
> I'm using WindowsXP Home Ed.

No, that's incorrect. That prevents it from being shared to other networked
computers.

What needs to be done is to logon as administrator and access the security
settings. In a WinXP Home system you have to logon in Safe mode for this. In
WinXP Pro you must disable "simple file sharing" in folder options/view.
Once on the security tab, you need to remove print permissions for everyone,
then add just the accounts that you want to have this right.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Andre Da Costa" <andred25@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Right click the Printer icons in (Printers and Faxes, Control Panel)
> choose sharing > Do not share this printer > OK.
>
> Andre
> "Bah~Bah~Briggsey" <Bah~Bah~Briggsey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:A65C2932-72EE-4B3E-BF9A-95BD3EC3F997@microsoft.com...
>>I have an uncle whom I let use my computer. He gets on this things and
>>prints
>> out masses of documents and its burning up my cartridges like mad. I've
>> tried
>> disabling printers both through my Acct and through the Administrator
>> with no
>> success~
>>
>> Is there something else I need to know?
>> Or do I contact the printer/software manufacturer?
>>
>> I'm using WindowsXP Home Ed.

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 13:23:02 -0700, "Bah~Bah~Briggsey"
<Bah~Bah~Briggsey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have an uncle whom I let use my computer. He gets on this things and prints
>out masses of documents and its burning up my cartridges like mad. I've tried
>disabling printers both through my Acct and through the Administrator with no
>success~
>
>Is there something else I need to know?
>Or do I contact the printer/software manufacturer?
>
>I'm using WindowsXP Home Ed.

Yes. Take a baseball bat and bash his head in and then burry him in a
remote region of a park..

What's wrong with telling him not to do it? Or better yet next time you
go to buy cartridges take him along and make him pay.

...D.