Microsoft to increase Xbox 360 capabilities

gjdixon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
Microsoft to increase Xbox 360 capabilities?

Thursday, May 15 2008, 12:13 BST

By David Gibbon, Gaming Reporter
Microsoft to increase Xbox 360 capabilities?

The boss of Microsoft Game Studios has revealed plans to bring technical innovation to the Xbox 360, possibly in the form of 'additional capabilities'.

Speaking in San Francisco, Shane Kim, who discussed potential modifications to the firm's current games machine, said: "You're going to continue to see technical innovation. It might be additional capabilities to the current format - but honestly we haven't made those kind of decisions yet.

"As far as technical limitations? We're not seeing those. I think there's the potential for more multi-disc titles - we've already shipped a few of those already. But I don't think this is so drastic that people will start saying that Microsoft missed a trick with not using Blu-ray. I just don't believe that."

Kim also revealed that he expects the Xbox 360 to enjoy a seven-year shelf-life, lasting until 2012.

"We said from the beginning that we expect the Xbox 360 to have a long tail," Shane told CVG.

"Clearly we didn't do that with the original Xbox, which was a strategic decision we made. Admittedly, we don't have any experience doing this, but we're pretty confident 360 will have a long tail."

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
how wonderfully .... vague.

There is no reason to think there wouldn't be any further innovation to the 360. They already have opened up a lot of new functions through software and I fully expect them to continue to do so.

As for a 7 year shelf life, this will only work out well if Nintendo and Sony have 6 or more year shelf lives. Microsoft of all companies should have seen the inherent benefits in being the first to market by a year and they should avoid giving that sort of advantage to their competition.