Sign in with
Your question

Wii Fit Calls Girl "Fat"

Last response: in Video Games
May 19, 2008 6:34:08 PM

Article by Kevin Parrish

Nintendo's Wii Fit launches today in the U.S., but the game company is dealing with controversy after its new title called a 10-year-old girl "fat." Beware of the balance board.

http://www.tomsgames.com/us/2008/05/19/wiifit_controversy/

More about : wii fit calls girl fat

May 19, 2008 7:21:25 PM

Just speeds up the eventual influence of the fashion industry, anorexia here we come.
To be fair though, The Daily Mail was the source, which almost always jumps on small stories and blows them way out of proportion, besides which it's a BMI test which is utter rubbish anyway as they never take muscle mass into account.
Did anyone catch the show where it tested the fat content of a group of people and according to their bmi's the skinny people were more healthy than the so called overweight rugby player but when they actually tested the amount of fat in the body he had the least. Think it had jamie oliver on it and dr.gunther von hagen.
Bottom line, it's a gimmicky way to get people to do more exercise, if you already do a fair amount (2-3 hours a week or more) and eat right then it's irrelevant.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
May 19, 2008 7:37:28 PM

Wii sports told me I was 67 years old the first time I played.

**EDIT** I'm not 67 years old.
May 19, 2008 7:46:34 PM

that was a very interesting program, gunther is great, weird but great, did you see the exhibition in london?

BMI is not worth the paper its written on (or phospor dots)
May 19, 2008 7:52:24 PM

it was severals years ago, really really interesting
but yes glasgows a bit far
May 19, 2008 7:52:27 PM

Not as yet I haven't, will have to get down there at some point to check it out, bit of a treck though as I'm in Glasgow currently, mind you takes less time to London than it does to Yorkshire where I originate. Crafty trains.
May 19, 2008 9:05:30 PM

spanner_razor said:
Just speeds up the eventual influence of the fashion industry, anorexia here we come.
To be fair though, The Daily Mail was the source, which almost always jumps on small stories and blows them way out of proportion, besides which it's a BMI test which is utter rubbish anyway as they never take muscle mass into account.
Did anyone catch the show where it tested the fat content of a group of people and according to their bmi's the skinny people were more healthy than the so called overweight rugby player but when they actually tested the amount of fat in the body he had the least. Think it had jamie oliver on it and dr.gunther von hagen.
Bottom line, it's a gimmicky way to get people to do more exercise, if you already do a fair amount (2-3 hours a week or more) and eat right then it's irrelevant.

Yeah, BMI is totally a false estimation of whether someone is overweight or not.... which is one of the reasons why I say it is time that we don't use that to decide whether someone is overweight or not.
May 19, 2008 9:06:34 PM

I'm almost afraid to find out what it calls me. I just hope it doesn't pop up a new category of "Moo".

I have been considering picking up this game for a while now.
May 19, 2008 10:02:59 PM

Overweight does not equal Fat! Come on give me break. Obese does not even equal Fat! Life is not fair deal with it people, and as stated Wii Fit was not intended for children, so if your child is offended by being called overweight or obese then don't use. Frivolous lawsuits due however equal DUMB!!
May 19, 2008 11:35:06 PM

The BMI ratings are sort of an industry standard that Nintendo has no control over.

You can even legally be denied health insurance based on your BMI.

I am not fat based on my percent of body fat but my BMI equates to Obese, what does Nintendo have to do with it?

Hell, I think even Shaq is considered Obese.
May 20, 2008 12:23:13 AM

purplerat said:
Wii sports told me I was 67 years old the first time I played.

**EDIT** I'm not 67 years old.

Wii sports told me i was 70(3 times+4 years my real age) the first time i played! my friend said thats the worst score he ever saw! was i angry? nope,i guess i had beginners luck...a computer cant tell you your real age! fat girl needs to get over it...im overweight and people call me fat im still not angry.
May 20, 2008 12:44:03 AM

Lawsuits aren't going to get you into a prom dress sweetie, better start losin'!
May 20, 2008 1:42:53 AM

yeah to survive in this world, people need to get a little less sensitive.
Im guessing the stats used in wii fit are standard reporting measurements. (if not then thats different) If she went into a gym and got her first assessments, the report would have been the same. Plus its also a tool to make you fitter. No one is going to get fit if the first thing they hear is that they have an ideal weight. no one will be fit if all we hear is, "you are perfect he way you are sweetie, no matter how you look, (or behave or smell or how stupid you are etc) we love you and thats what counts.
May 20, 2008 4:13:41 AM

I LOL'd

People crying cos a video game calls them fat, they next thing we will be sueing people who flame us online.

U hurt my feelings baaawaaaa :( 

Bottom line is some MASSIVE % of americans (and australians) are now medically obese or overweight. Just walk around your local shopping centre etc and have a little look.

The father is a bit deluded too. He calls her "solidly built". Obviously being soldily built is TOTALLY different to being fat. The problem is these days most people think morbidly obese people are just plain 'fat', and fat people are just normal.

The human body was made to look and perform like an athelete. Its been working like that rather well for that past few thousand years.

If u cant take care of your own body thats fair enough, but please be honest enough to call yourself exactly WHAT you are, not what you would like to be.

So grab a coke and a smile and stfu.
May 20, 2008 5:44:12 AM

I dont get it, if you are FAT, you are fat, if you dont like being called fat, loose some wight FFS. People get to sensative about issues like that. Hell I started loosing my hair at 17 *cries*, but I dont go around sueing people and bithcing cuz they say that I am balding, cuz I am. That is why I never worry about calling fat people FAT.
May 20, 2008 7:35:59 AM

thepinkpanther said:
Wii sports told me i was 70(3 times+4 years my real age) the first time i played! my friend said thats the worst score he ever saw! was i angry? nope,i guess i had beginners luck...a computer cant tell you your real age! fat girl needs to get over it...im overweight and people call me fat im still not angry.

70-4=66
66/4=16.5

You still give your age in half years? ;-)

I'm fat, and I get a ribbing from my mates quite regularly about it, and guess what? I've cut back on the drink, and the rubbish I used to eat at the weekends and I've dropped a waist size so far.

Being told you're fat helps! If noone tells you, you think noone's noticed ("my god these baggy t-shirts are doing wonders for my figure!")
May 20, 2008 8:09:56 AM

mrmez said:
I LOL'd

People crying cos a video game calls them fat, they next thing we will be sueing people who flame us online.

U hurt my feelings baaawaaaa :( 

Bottom line is some MASSIVE % of americans (and australians) are now medically obese or overweight. Just walk around your local shopping centre etc and have a little look.

The father is a bit deluded too. He calls her "solidly built". Obviously being soldily built is TOTALLY different to being fat. The problem is these days most people think morbidly obese people are just plain 'fat', and fat people are just normal.

The human body was made to look and perform like an athelete. Its been working like that rather well for that past few thousand years.

If u cant take care of your own body thats fair enough, but please be honest enough to call yourself exactly WHAT you are, not what you would like to be.

So grab a coke and a smile and stfu.

Totally agree.

I think obesity is a positive thing for the western world. We have tons of fatties wobbling around in the U.K, wheezing from their car to Mc Donalds and back with their big bag of McSh1t burgers (why do they always get diet coke with the 3 big macs?), most of them will die in their 40's & 50's, thus solving our pensions crisis :kaola: 

Oh and just cause you're thin doesn't mean your're healthy. My friends partner had a heart attack 2 weeks after his 40th birthday, nearly killed him and now he's a cripple, he was thin, just had a really crap diet and smoked.
May 20, 2008 12:59:28 PM

mi1ez said:
70-4=66
66/4=16.5

I'm fat, and I get a ribbing from my mates quite regularly about it, and guess what? I've cut back on the drink, and the rubbish I used to eat at the weekends and I've dropped a waist size so far.

Being told you're fat helps! If noone tells you, you think noone's noticed ("my god these baggy t-shirts are doing wonders for my figure!")

70-4=66
66/3=22

Anyway, the game's been out in europe and japan for a while. I actually suggested to my mom to get Wii Fit, she really liked wii sports boxing and bowling (she was pretty sore the next day lol).
May 20, 2008 1:10:11 PM

I totaly agree that people need to stop being wimps when they get insulted. There is alot I could say to add to that, however, I was reading about this game, and apparently it is difficult to get a heartrate over 120 bpm while playing this. I guess this depends on the person really, but if thats true, it begs the question: is this game is only designed to get your heart rate up? How is it better than any intense fps game? I can recall many adrenaline pumping games of halo 2 when it first came out. That makes me wonder how much better the wii fit is than any exciting game that has come out in the past.
May 20, 2008 2:49:16 PM

stemnin said:
70-4=66
66/3=22

Anyway, the game's been out in europe and japan for a while. I actually suggested to my mom to get Wii Fit, she really liked wii sports boxing and bowling (she was pretty sore the next day lol).

OK, your maths is evidently better than my reading!
May 20, 2008 3:22:02 PM

I was surprised it was a Brit that sued Nintendo first. We Americans are slouching!

WiiFit is a game. Deal with it. If you're so sensitive on your "solidly built" daughter maybe you shouldn't buy her video games and instead take her out and have her solid frame do solid things, like play sports.
May 20, 2008 4:54:07 PM

sports? nah thats way to hard for a child.
May 20, 2008 5:01:12 PM

Flakes said:
sports? nah thats way to hard for a child.

As is knowing where to use capital letters, apostrophes, commas and the correct spelling of "too". :lol:  [/cheap]
May 20, 2008 7:47:39 PM

milliamp said:
The BMI ratings are sort of an industry standard that Nintendo has no control over.

You can even legally be denied health insurance based on your BMI.

I am not fat based on my percent of body fat but my BMI equates to Obese, what does Nintendo have to do with it?

Hell, I think even Shaq is considered Obese.

Yep...... According to BMI, most football players, most baseball players, and most basketball players would be called 'obese'. That is why a lot of states have BANNED using BMI to deny someone insurance, and the feds are thinking of banning that as well.
Nintendo should have been smart, and not even INCLUDED the BMI rating in their game. They should have just asked for the height of the person, the body type of the person, the weight of the person, and THEN decided whether someone was overweight or not.
May 20, 2008 8:09:18 PM

I wonder if this is partly a cultural thing as well. It's quite common in some parts of East Asia for people to ask about or say things that would be considered offensive in the U.S. For example, weight, complexion, sometimes even income are all fair game. My sister once broke down in tears after several people living on my grandparent's street commented about her acne. They considered it being helpful.
May 20, 2008 8:15:50 PM

Well now... Class repeat after me:

I will not succumb to delusions of gandure... I will except the truth and embrace it. Even if it does come from a video game! :cry: 

ok... seriousley. I'm 6' 2" and I way 135lbs, my diet is horrible... I drink and I smoke. I'm skinny and BMI is probably fine and I am willing to bet my life savings (which is 0 lol) that I die before the lot of you.

Thank you, and good night.
May 20, 2008 8:50:17 PM

Quote:
According to BMI, most football players, most baseball players, and most basketball players would be called 'obese'.

While not obese in the sense that they have large amounts of excess body fat, they really aren't a terribly healthy segment of society. Repetitive strain and over-exertion injuries run rampant in that group, not to mention the terribly unhealthy practices to get that extra ounce of performance. Joint replacements at 50 really are not ideal.

BMI readings work well for the vast majority of the population. A few outlying groups do throw it off. However, they've likely gone to rather extreme ends in order to get and keep their body the way it is.

Quote:

The human body was made to do the least amount of work possible in order to provide food, protection, and mating opportunities. This is the root of why we are fat in the first place. Our instincts tell us to grab what has the highest energy content(calories), lay on the couch, and keep an eye out for the lovely mating opportunities on TV.

Vigorous activity wasn't the norm and was only employed in rare cases. Protecting yourself or the rare instance when you actually had the opportunity to chase down a wounded animal. Lots of mild to moderate activity, such as collecting food or walking to new hunting grounds, was the norm and will never make you look like a model or an athlete.

Look at any of the remote tribal societies around today. None of them look like athletes. They look like skinny guys with bellies. That is probably the best look we'll ever get at how pre-modern man lived as many of these groups are still largely living that way.

I might be wrong here, but don't kids generally come in very low on the BMI? Wouldn't that likely make this little girl quite the porker? Damn those delicious crumpets!
May 20, 2008 10:31:33 PM

mi1ez said:

and writing/grammar.
May 21, 2008 3:07:05 AM

rtfm said:
why do they always get diet coke with the 3 big macs?

LOL :pt1cable:  :pt1cable:  :pt1cable: 
Thank the Lord for people like that. They make me look real tough like He-Man :D 

Reminds me of my fav GTA radio lines...

Woman: Ive tried EVERYTHING to lose weight
Man: Yeah, except exercise and eating healthy
May 21, 2008 6:48:29 AM

llama_man said:
As is knowing where to use capital letters, apostrophes, commas and the correct spelling of "too". :lol:  [/cheap]

Years of using Microsoft Word to correct my spelling and grammer, has had an effect.
May 21, 2008 7:52:25 AM

raptorxt said:
and writing/grammar.

What was wrong with what I last said?

OK, your maths is evidently better than my reading! said:

That's grammatically perfect!
May 21, 2008 11:23:11 AM

Flakes said:
Years of using Microsoft Word to correct my spelling and grammer, has had an effect.

Is your spell checker on holiday? :lol: 
May 21, 2008 12:27:49 PM

Flakes said:

I find the Firefox spell checker quite effective...
May 21, 2008 1:18:36 PM

i have that ^^
May 21, 2008 2:16:53 PM

PhReaK_K said:
I dont get it, if you are FAT, you are fat, if you dont like being called fat, loose some wight FFS. People get to sensative about issues like that. Hell I started loosing my hair at 17 *cries*, but I dont go around sueing people and bithcing cuz they say that I am balding, cuz I am. That is why I never worry about calling fat people FAT.

Yo baldie....

Anyway if this 10 year old was fat then she needed to be told so, im not saying be anorexic but at then end of the day if someone is over weight by a large amount then they need to lose it..

I know some one who is over 25 stone, jokes and calls him self fat b'start but hates it when my son who is 3 calls him fat man...

If your fat, thin, bald, ginger or what ever you are what you are and if that area can be changed...

I cant understand why people are so sensitive about something they are not seriously trying to do something about it.
Im a little overweight and need to do something about it and I will, if people call me fatty then I am..Im not bothered..

Let a Wii game bring it on as this will drive me to why I bought wii fit for to a) get fit - b) lose weight
May 21, 2008 2:47:39 PM

mi1ez said:
70-4=66
66/4=16.5

I'm a doctor so it's my business to tell people to lose weight and to stop smoking. Other than when I'm at the hospital treating patients, I generally mind my own business. I, however, I wish it was the social norm to tell people they're fat and that they should take better care of themselves in the same way it's accepted to tell people not to smoke (at least to those around you, around your kids or in your home). It's forbidden to smoke in many public places now, much to my delight as both a human who hates smoke and as a doctor who knows that smoking leads to so many health problems. Obesity is the other major cause of health problems today. If we could do away with both smoking and obesity, that would pretty much only leave alcoholics and the elderly as my patients (genetic causes of disease and accidents are very rare where I work). I dislike the fact that people with entirely avoidable health problems detract from my time spent with patients with "legitimate" diseases. Any doctor would tell you the same.

If it takes the Wii Fit to start telling people to lose weight and it actually works, so be it. Heaven knows that people don't listen to their doctors until it's too late. It takes something radical to make people change their lifestyles. I'd prefer outrage over a life-changing disease any day.

PS: Good for you, mi1ez.
PSS: Research doesn't show any link between telling people they're fat and anorexia. Telling someone they're fat and using social pressure, however, does have an effect on weight loss. I don't know why people always bring up anorexia as an argument at times like these. Perhaps it's just convenient because they have nothing else intelligent to say on the topic.
May 21, 2008 9:25:38 PM

If you're actually fat or "overweight" if that makes you feel any better, and the game calls you out on it. So be it, you're **** fat and even a video game can tell.

If you're not fat and the video game calls you fat, then just laugh at it. Who cares?

If you're in the middle and you are insecure about a game calling you out, then toughen the **** up, because life is going to get a lot more rough than game calling you exactly what you are. End your life if you can't handle this. Maybe the national IQ will go up a bit.

Look, if you're fat and you aren't prepared to live a life being called fat or having others consider you as being fat, then DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT BESIDES BITCHING. Words don't make you lose weight, crying about it doesn't make you lose weight, suing a game company that called you fat does NOT MAKE YOU lose weight. Show some god damned self control and responsibility over your own actions and make a drastic change in your life to reverse the effects that you have inevitably brought upon your self. (Being fat) No one but your self is to blame for this problem, therefor no one but your self should be responsible for the consequences you may encounter.

If you're fat, people WILL call you fat. If you're white, people WILL call you white. If you're dressed up like a police man, people WILL call you "officer". Learn to live with it.
May 21, 2008 11:40:10 PM

I've never seen a wii, but I am a big guy, not fat,BMI don't know the military doesn't use this, had a stroke at 57, also had a stress test at 56 and they said that I was a bad test subject because after 3 min on the treadmill they couldn't get my heart rate up enough to test me, hmm am I fat or out of shape
May 22, 2008 3:47:57 AM

mi1ez said:
What was wrong with what I last said?

That's grammatically perfect!

You must have failed both math and english while you were attending school.

OK, your MATH IS evidently better than my reading.
May 22, 2008 5:11:51 AM

raptorxt said:

Uncultured monkey, MATHS is the colloquially British way to say MATHEMATICS. Can't you contribute something to this thread other than your ignorance?
May 22, 2008 9:45:05 AM

raptorxt said:

"Maths" is the more common shortened version of the word "Mathematics" across the rest of the world. "Math" is simply the incorrect, almost lazy, form used purely by Americans.

You don't study "Mathematic" do you...

Besides, why in the blue hell are we correcting people on spelling and grammar? This is a thread about a computer game and surely we of the gaming community are all illiterate button-mashers anyway (or Wiimote wagglers)?
May 22, 2008 9:51:51 AM

I'm glad you guys picked up on what he was on about, because I didn't have a clue!

On a lighter note, summer's here, petrol prices are up, and we're discussing fitness - time to get the bike out again!

May 29, 2008 7:15:57 PM

Oh Snap said:
Lawsuits aren't going to get you into a prom dress sweetie, better start losin'!

hahahaha!
So true. They will not get a date for the Prom either!
!