Motherboard and RAM Questions

tkeller76

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
I am trying to put together a P4 3.06 gaming system and am in need of some advice. I'm not sure whether I should buy DDR ram or rambus. I am leaning towards DDR from what I've read in THG, as well as the fact(true/false?) that intel is moving towards DDR in their product line. Price-wise I am looking at DDR434(PC3500) because it seems to be very close in price to DDR400(pricewatch.com). Unfortunatly, I am confused to what choices I have in a chipset that can handle DDR434. So far in my search, most motherboards seem to be spec'd for DDR333 and unofficially usable with DDR400.

Are there new chipsets on the way(in the next month) for DDR400 and DDR434?
Should I go rambus?
Should I use a current motherboard that can handle DDR400?

Thanks,
Tim

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
An AXP 2700+ with DDR is slightly faster than P4 3.06 GHz w/ DDR. I assume that you want the fastest, so don't buy DDR. If you want to buy DDR, then go for Athlon XP 2800+ and nForce2

Let us know what is the Best Chipset of 2002 in your eye.<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=26410#26410" target="_new"> Click </A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Right now the 3.06 is outrageously priced. If you wait another month for a slight price drop, you'll be rewarded with more motherboard choices as well.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

tkeller76

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
I'm not in a hurry to buy, and I am waiting for the P4 3.06 to drop in price. The lowest I've seen the P4 for was $640. Too rich for my taste.
Any info on what motherboards/chipsets might be released next month? -or- where to look?

Thanks,
Tim

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The first SiS655 chipset board was released yesterday, more to follow, interested in benchmarks!

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>