XP2 Home SP2: Blocks downloads of .EXEs too well?

Hi - I upgraded one of my machines to XP Home SP2 - now, I have
trouble downloading (specifically) .EXE files - the downloads hang part
way - happens in mozilla and IE6, and even in a FTP client program. On
another (WIN98SE) machine, no problem. This happened to me under
Mcafee, Etrust, and Norton (I'm trying out AV programs), but happened as
well with each one "disabled". (haven't tried it with no AV
installed). The windows firewall is OFF. I have no other
network-related problems. I'm not asking for an answer as much as help
- where to debug, where to look for that hidden option that's clogging
the works.

Thanks!
/j
5 answers Last reply
More about home blocks downloads exes well

    If you are running with your firewall off while trying to solve a problem,
    you are in for a great many more problems. It only takes a few seconds to
    have your computer become infected with all sorts of "nasties".

    I wonder what you may have on your computer now that will cause you
    additional problems!

    --

    Regards:

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    Jeff W wrote:
    > Hi - I upgraded one of my machines to XP Home SP2 - now, I have
    > trouble downloading (specifically) .EXE files - the downloads hang
    > part way - happens in mozilla and IE6, and even in a FTP client
    > program. On another (WIN98SE) machine, no problem. This happened
    > to me under Mcafee, Etrust, and Norton (I'm trying out AV programs),
    > but happened as well with each one "disabled". (haven't tried it
    > with no AV installed). The windows firewall is OFF. I have no other
    > network-related problems. I'm not asking for an answer as much as
    > help - where to debug, where to look for that hidden option that's
    > clogging the works.

    I wouldn't say this was SP2 blocking anything but rather a more general
    download issue. If the SP2 security enhancements detect something they don't
    like while browsing the web, it happens in IE and it gives you a message in
    a yellow bar at the top of the browser window similar to the popup warning.

    Have you tried downloading files of other types but of a similar size? Are
    the problem files only coming from one site?

    no - my machine is clean. but you'll never guess what it was - I added
    netbeui for easier communication with some older machines - until I
    discovered it corrupted files on network copies....
    /j

    Richard Urban wrote:

    >If you are running with your firewall off while trying to solve a problem,
    >you are in for a great many more problems. It only takes a few seconds to
    >have your computer become infected with all sorts of "nasties".
    >
    >I wonder what you may have on your computer now that will cause you
    >additional problems!

    S--t - that was an unrelated problem, and now I sound like a screwup for
    not doing my homework. Still, norton says my machine is clean (and my
    router runs a firewall - and a good one).. Many..exe's download fine,
    but others, like the one below, can't quite make it.

    if you have XP home SP2 - go here

    http://crm.my-etrust.com/CIDocument.asp?KDId=684&GUID=E875382F8FC2437896162576B77DDE2A

    and try to download the 2nd link (vpatcher.exe) -

    I can from my win98se machine, but it won't quite finish under XP2 -
    really weird...

    /j

    Jeff W wrote:

    >no - my machine is clean. but you'll never guess what it was - I added
    >netbeui for easier communication with some older machines - until I
    >discovered it corrupted files on network copies....
    >/j
    >
    >Richard Urban wrote:
    >
    >>If you are running with your firewall off while trying to solve a problem,
    >>you are in for a great many more problems. It only takes a few seconds to
    >>have your computer become infected with all sorts of "nasties".
    >>
    >>I wonder what you may have on your computer now that will cause you
    >>additional problems!

    Hmmmm - now if I replace my bad NIC..... 8-{ 8-{ 8-{ 8-{ 8-{ 8-{

    sorry to be posting garbage
    never mind
    /j

    Jeff W wrote:

    >S--t - that was an unrelated problem, and now I sound like a screwup for
    >not doing my homework. Still, norton says my machine is clean (and my
    >router runs a firewall - and a good one).. Many..exe's download fine,
    >but others, like the one below, can't quite make it.
    >
    >if you have XP home SP2 - go here
    >
    >http://crm.my-etrust.com/CIDocument.asp?KDId=684&GUID=E875382F8FC2437896162576B77DDE2A
    >
    >and try to download the 2nd link (vpatcher.exe) -
    >
    >I can from my win98se machine, but it won't quite finish under XP2 -
    >really weird...
    >
    >/j
    >
    >Jeff W wrote:
    >
    >>no - my machine is clean. but you'll never guess what it was - I added
    >>netbeui for easier communication with some older machines - until I
    >>discovered it corrupted files on network copies....
    >>/j
    >>
    >>Richard Urban wrote:
    >>
    >>>If you are running with your firewall off while trying to solve a problem,
    >>>you are in for a great many more problems. It only takes a few seconds to
    >>>have your computer become infected with all sorts of "nasties".
    >>>
    >>>I wonder what you may have on your computer now that will cause you
    >>>additional problems!

Windows XP