I recently used my XPrecovery disc - which has worked fine, BUT - all my old
files/programs seem to be in some sort of 'archive' - I can access tem, but
they don't appear in the program list any more.
Any help appreciated - Dennis

"Dennis Yardley" <denn@is2209.freeserve.co.uk>
wrote in news:ckt9f1$tu5$1@news5.svr.pol.co.uk:
> I recently used my XPrecovery disc - which has worked fine, BUT - all
> my old files/programs seem to be in some sort of 'archive' - I can
> access tem, but they don't appear in the program list any more.
> Any help appreciated - Dennis

Well, how would WE know what recovery disc you used? "Recovery disk"
doesn't sound like the Microsoft Windows XP installation CD. Sounds
more like some bastardized, er, customized recovery disk provided by
whomever manufactured your particular desktop or laptop. You'll need to
call them to find out how THEIR "recovery" works. If you want guesses,
mine is that the recovery disk reinstates the partition in the same
condition as when you got the computer and moved everything that was
there before into some "archive" to permit recovery of data and/or
configuration files. The "recovery" probably laid down a disk image
(actually a partition image) and wiped everything out and start all over
with the same setup you had at the beginning, which means you have to
install all your applications again that were not included in that
original setup.

thanks