Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Age of Conan ?

Last response: in Video Games
May 22, 2008 5:15:32 PM

Can any one tell me for sure if Age of Conan is multi threaded, (AKA quad core better then dual core) and does it utilize sli? I cant find nothing on the web except the minimum and recommended specs.

I was wondeing because I sold a PC with e7200 OC 3.8 and 8800gt and the customer said her quad core sli'd 8800gts run 50 FPS and the system I sold runs 75FPS.

Based on that its not quad or sli optimized.

The quad is runnin Vista and the dual that I made is on XP. Vista machine has 8g ram dual machine has 2g.

I dont understand how the dual is beating the quad. She said the quad is 3.8 and I know the dual is oc to 3.8.

Im thinking the game isnt quad or sli optimized and her quad is stock or slightly higer.

More about : age conan

May 22, 2008 5:23:29 PM

sigh
May 22, 2008 5:25:39 PM

Why are you putting together and selling computers if you don't even fully understand what performance you're going to get from the components, software and settings you're using?
Related resources
May 22, 2008 5:30:14 PM

I do understand thats what dont make sense. The only thing I'm unsure of is if AOC utilizes quad core and sli.

And I told her to use CPU-Z to check her quad becaue I doubt its running 3.8 like she said.

I know I build bad ass rigs. Just didnt think they were that bad ass. Ima have to charge a premium. Ima ave to call them Railienware.
May 22, 2008 6:50:20 PM

Quote:
I do understand thats what dont make sense.
:??: 

Anyways seeing as you need it spelled out to you and I have 5 mins to waste; There are many variables that could be at play but most likely the Vista system is running AoC in DX10 and the XP system is running DX9. I haven't really tested the difference in this game but it did make a huge difference in Crysis. Also I'm guessing that if this person is buying a computer from you there are likely many user 'issues' at play especially with the SLI system.
May 22, 2008 7:33:44 PM

purplerat said:
Quote:
I do understand thats what dont make sense.
:??: 

Anyways seeing as you need it spelled out to you and I have 5 mins to waste; There are many variables that could be at play but most likely the Vista system is running AoC in DX10 and the XP system is running DX9. I haven't really tested the difference in this game but it did make a huge difference in Crysis. Also I'm guessing that if this person is buying a computer from you there are likely many user 'issues' at play especially with the SLI system.

LoL. My system wasn't SLI if you could read.

Possibly the difference is DX10 vs DX9. Evidentally you dont know either so you need it spelled out as well.
The main question of the topic is is AOC utilizing quad core and SLI. If you dont know you need it spelld out also. The rest of the post is a real life comparison.

Seems to me even DX10 quad core ,sli 8800gt, and 8g ram should run as good or better then DX9 dual core, single 8800gt 2g ram.

I promise you I can build a better/faster PC then you any day of the week.

I dont need rude comments, as I'm looking for a simple answer; Does AOC utilize quad core and sli? Google turned up nothing so, I'm asking people here that may have the game and know more then you!

Evidentally, I must be the **** then if my $589 system can smoke the $1800 system.

May 22, 2008 7:48:12 PM

purplerat said:

There are many variables that could be at play but most likely the Vista system is running AoC in DX10 and the XP system is running DX9.

DX10 has not been released as of yet for AoC lol... you can try turning it on in the options but it does nothing.
It will be released when Euro version is released I believe.
May 22, 2008 7:51:34 PM

Wow, the more you talk the more you prove yourself to be an idiot. I guess you just have the touch of God when it comes to building PCs. Why don't you post some screen shots of these side by side comparisons so we can all be blown away. Anyways if you're really concerned about whether or not AoC is supposed to be multi-core optimized you could just look at the front of the box.
May 22, 2008 7:54:16 PM

Quote:
LoL. My system wasn't SLI if you could read.

P.S. I didn't say YOUR system was SLI, I said THE SLI system may not be configured properly which could not only negate any SLI benefit but could actually lower performance. But I guess a super builder like you would know that.
May 22, 2008 7:55:14 PM

Quote:
DX10 has not been released as of yet for AoC lol...
It will be released when Euro version is released.

Do you have a link to something regarding this? Like I said I've yet to test it out but there is a DX10 option in the game I have and it's clearly advertised all over the Funcom site and on the game packaging so it would be hard to believe that they actually left it out.
May 22, 2008 7:56:02 PM

Thankks radio. That takes that out of the equation.

I'm a idiot? Your th guy that thought you could get $400 for a FX-60, and came here to ask what you should buy.

Atleast I can pick my own parts. LoL. Oh snap!

You implied if she bought it from me it could be user error , especially sli.

If you dont have any knowledge on the topic please leave.
May 22, 2008 8:00:44 PM

Were you the dope who bought that chip? You're right though I only got $330 for it on a 3 day auction.
May 22, 2008 8:03:31 PM

I had an issue last night where my game crashed and for some reason it wouldnt run as smothly as before. I checked my card GC settings and SLI mysteriously turned off. I am pretty sure AoC takes advantage of multi core proccessors and SLI. I can't remember where I read it and do not have time to look it up(plus the page would probably be blocked) because I am at work. Try the AoC forums.
May 22, 2008 8:05:49 PM

purplerat said:
Were you the dope who bought that chip? You're right though I only got $330 for it on a 3 day auction.

Prove it.
May 22, 2008 8:06:14 PM

Thanks again radio. The forums are locked unless you have the game. I do not have the game right now. I cant believe a forum would want you to register your key. Thats a new one for me.
May 22, 2008 8:12:53 PM

Now please prove your results.
May 22, 2008 8:13:03 PM

I did find that Radio. It looks like that DX10 setting does nothing. I cause those results must just be caused by user error and/or BS.
May 22, 2008 8:13:22 PM

If I remmber later when I get home I will try and look it up on the forums. I have yet to register myself and did not realize you need to own a copy of the game lol.
May 22, 2008 8:20:13 PM

Thanks Radio I would appreciate it. My laptop wont play it and my new desktop isnt done yet, so no sense to buy the game.

What proof you need Purple? What you want to see?

Thats funny someone bought that. I would feel bad for rippin someone off, guess thats called a concious. More power to you though.
May 22, 2008 8:24:41 PM

Well i'm afraid I'm as in the dark as others on this front, first of all i think some people on here are just being assholes for no reason and i would be suprised if they know as much as they like to make out. and i dont mean roadrunner.

As for the poor scores. at equal clockspeeds, it should be similar performance. if it isnt, chances are the overclock isnt stable and could be throwin up errors. but to be fair either processor at stock or overclocked i cant imagine making such a massive difference. the gfx cards could. is the 88GT you used overclocked?

is the power supply in the quad sli machine enough?

it seems very odd, but even if the game doesnt support sli or quad, there shouldnt be less performance on the quad, afterall it has 2 duals in there strapped together, i cant imagine loosing any more than 5fps from a quad and sli... I dunno.. its magic!
May 22, 2008 8:27:31 PM

Well like I asked if quad core and sli made a difference the quad machine should pown.

If not and the quad is stock the dual core will pown. She told me her quad is 3.8; however I think she lied. I bet it is stock or slightly higher. She may have even lied about sli for all I know. She said the quad machine was $1800 maybe she got ripped off. She lives in Texas, I live in Nebraska. All I know is the machine I built and sold. I have never nor will ever have access to her quad machine.

Its only one game so its not really a big deal. I just cant find any info via google. Maybe I need to register on the forums.

Purple; are you using the machine in your sig? If so could you please check windows task manager and see if the game is using 4 cores? Please!
May 22, 2008 8:29:18 PM

Tahnks for the input Gow87. I appreciate it.
May 22, 2008 8:31:43 PM

roadrunner197069 said:
Thanks Radio I would appreciate it. My laptop wont play it and my new desktop isnt done yet, so no sense to buy the game.

What proof you need Purple? What you want to see?

Thats funny someone bought that. I would feel bad for rippin someone off, guess thats called a concious. More power to you though.

Some screen shots showing specs and that you are using identical settings between the two systems. If you're going talk a big game about how you're some supreme PC builder (yet you don't have a system that can play this game) you might want to back it up. Anyways I didn't rip any body off. I put that chip up for a starting price of $150 with no reserve. Somebody obviously wanted it enough to pay that much for it. As a matter of fact the guy who bought it said he would be reselling it in a gaming system. Hum that sounds familar.
May 22, 2008 8:33:26 PM

I'll check that when I get home. But I'd still like to see what settings/benchmarks you have. I know from playing the game and talking to people in game that on high settings 75fps does not seem correct. 50fps is a little more in line with what most people are getting so I think the whole 75fps is either due to very low settings or just plain BS.
May 22, 2008 8:45:44 PM

Thank you.

I cant tell you for sure if the settings are the same or not.
Shes like 60 years old and I only got what she told me.
I thought it was odd. I will run some of my own test soon.
She told me the settings are the same.
If settings are the same and it only uses 1 card and one core then it all makes sense.
I dont have a system to play the game because I built that system for me, and I sold it to her, so I can build myself a quad core system with with the 48xx series card next month.
This laptop is a 1.6 dual core with 1g ram, Vista Ultimate. Its like watching paint dry compared to the desktop that I sold. 1 more G of ram is on the way.
May 22, 2008 9:39:57 PM

SWEET DUDE
Anonymous
May 22, 2008 9:42:54 PM

honestly roadrunner you are an idiot. you are on here arguing with people about 2 computers running games that you havent even seen to compare. You say she's old and is lieing about the processor speed then Why the **** are you taking the FPS as right. Purplerat is right you are wrong and your system building skills are lame. What skill is involved with piecing a few parts together and upping voltages. noone cares, you are wrong.
May 22, 2008 9:43:29 PM

Quote:
honestly roadrunner you are an idiot. you are on here arguing with people about 2 computers running games that you havent even seen to compare. You say she's old and is lieing about the processor speed then Why the **** are you taking the FPS as right. Purplerat is right you are wrong and your system building skills are lame. What skill is involved with piecing a few parts together and upping voltages. noone cares, you are wrong.

That basically says it all right there. /end thread
May 22, 2008 10:24:41 PM

Quote:

Says the guy that said his CPU was making noise. LoL. I said maybe shes lieing, maybe not. I asked a simple question so someone with knowledge of the game and similar setup could chime in. Not some ignorant noob that hears things from cpus. Sorry if the question was to hard or confusing for you. Next time you dont know the anwer dont waste your time.

She may be right if the game doesnt utilize 4 cores or sli, then the faster dual core would out do the quad.

Build a system and I will also, then we can donate them to toms to bench. I already no the winner and its not you.

For someone that knows so much you dont have many posts. Maybe I should tell her to make sure the CPU aint making noise? What you think.

LOL Hate on Roadrunner because he asked to hard and confusing of a question. Pretty entertaining really.
Anonymous
May 22, 2008 10:40:37 PM

roadrunner197069 said:
Says the guy that said his CPU was making noise. LoL. I said maybe shes lieing, maybe not. I asked a simple question so someone with knowledge of the game and similar setup could chime in. Not some ignorant noob that hears things from cpus. Sorry if the question was to hard or confusing for you. Next time you dont know the anwer dont waste your time.

She may be right if the game doesnt utilize 4 cores or sli, then the faster dual core would out do the quad.

Build a system and I will also, then we can donate them to toms to bench. I already no the winner and its not you.

For someone that knows so much you dont have many posts. Maybe I should tell her to make sure the CPU aint making noise? What you think.

LOL Hate on Roadrunner because he asked to hard and confusing of a question. Pretty entertaining really.

amazing response, the motherboard had a large spill stain on the back of it and there was a high pitched feedback from one of the transistors placed next to the processor. Just because you are called out for being an idiot in a thread you resort to trying to catch me with a stupid post from 2006. All you need to do is load the game and look at your processors and sli bar and that will tell you whether or not it uses it i dont get why you cant just do this and quit being a contamination on the board.

http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/21905

Q: Is the game optimized for quad core or is it just dual core?

Pål: The more cores you have, the better it will run.
May 22, 2008 10:43:33 PM

I checked real quickly and all 4 cores are active during game play, although 1 runs at about 40% while the others are less than 25%. However the fact that none of them were ever above 50% or so leads be to believe that CPU has little to do with what you're asking. I still say 50FPS sounds about right while 75FPS is either complete BS or at very low settings. Anyways roadrunner just shut up. Not only is what you're saying stupid, but your English is so broken that it makes me think you may have some sort of mental defect which makes it hard to pick on you - thus why I gave you the info you asked for. What do you do all day anyways? Just sit around and right down things that people said in this forum in the past. Also why couldn't a CPU make noise? Do you know anything about electronics?
May 22, 2008 10:45:14 PM

You sound pretty defensive roadrunner. If you were even half decent with computers you'd know to just run it on one of your "awesome rigs" with a quad processor (surely someone who's as pimp as you would have an extra quad laying around, right? those things are so inexpensive these days, who doesn't?!), and you could see that it doesn't utilize all four cores at high load. It will use all four cores, but you'd only see 10-25% load on 2 of your cores max (because the game is built primarily for dual cores), which wouldn't account for a heavy boost. Even if you don't have a quad to test, this info is easily available through the convenient search engine google.com, which you may have heard of.

The only confusing thing about your original question is how it is you're building and selling computers to people without even a simple understanding of how to test performance properly, or even search the **** internet for easily obtainable information. You'd rather post on a forum acting like a hotshot, when your computer is probably garbage.

k Thanks :) 

purplerat said:
words...

Hey look roadrunner, another person who knows how to use this google.com search engine all these people seem to be talking about these days.
May 22, 2008 10:57:35 PM

I'm not interested in any more ignorant posts from children, so hopefully someone with actual knowledge will come post some usefull information.

Please no more envious, jealous, noobish children thanks.

@ Purple. Therse no reason to be rude. Thank you for checking that. If you say shes full of BS I will go with it, you have access to the game and to the forums. I don't. I don't care if my PCs are faster then NASA or slower then Nintendo. They sell and I make money staying at home being my own boss. I just want to know how this game works since alot of customers are asking.

I have one more question purple, if you don't mind. What settings do you play at with your rig for 50FPS?
May 22, 2008 11:01:58 PM

Quote:
I don't care if my PCs are faster then NASA or slower then Nintendo.

Quote:

Oh wait so you don't care if his computer benches higher than yours now?
May 23, 2008 7:55:44 AM

Crikey, this thread spiralled out of control!

I can see why why other websites take the p!ss out of the Tom's Hardware Forums.

Shame on you, shame on you all.
May 23, 2008 8:09:05 AM

my post was just to make everyone lighten up lol.
May 23, 2008 9:20:07 AM

bushmastertd said:
my post was just to make everyone lighten up lol.

I know and it was quite refreshing after the prior slander!
May 23, 2008 8:46:39 PM

Yup no quad or dual core support yet not tell we get dx 10
May 30, 2008 5:37:05 PM

Just from my experience it benchmarks faster on 1 core than multi cores. Haven't tested with the current patch release. It did use two core but it didn't help performance actually about 5 FPS hit.

No DX10 until fall.
May 31, 2008 4:51:54 AM

I read somewhere that multiple cores would be implemented once the game went gold, that is why it is windows vista's flagship game. The whole promotion of multi core gaming and DX10 implementation, so don't fret as support will eventually make it's way to the world of conan, as to when, well that is an entirely new question indeed.
May 31, 2008 5:53:29 PM

Multicore is in now,dx10 is coming in aug.
June 2, 2008 5:16:10 AM

ok, here is the deal. my lil bro was running a Phenom 9600, with 4 gigs G.Skill DDR800, an EVGA 8800GTX and he was cranking 10-16 FPS. Ok imo that is freaking sad for that setup. we tweaked settings and played with it and played with it. Still could only get around 10-16 FPS, then i brainstormed, hey lets try my 6400+ in your box and see what it cranks out. Sure enough frames went from 10-16 up to 40-75 frames, dependsing on the area. SO to answer the ?, no AoC does not run better on quads, not atm anyway.
June 2, 2008 2:54:45 PM

AoC suffers from many bugs.

One them being crazy memory leaks when playing on anything but the highest video settings.

Anyway the best way to stabilize your FPS is make sure you are playing on the "high settings", even if your computer is not the best. And Disable shadows. Everyone who has done this has seen significant FPS improvement. Also, make sure you have 2gbs of ram.

June 2, 2008 7:29:49 PM

bushmastertd said:
ok, here is the deal. my lil bro was running a Phenom 9600, with 4 gigs G.Skill DDR800, an EVGA 8800GTX and he was cranking 10-16 FPS. Ok imo that is freaking sad for that setup. we tweaked settings and played with it and played with it. Still could only get around 10-16 FPS, then i brainstormed, hey lets try my 6400+ in your box and see what it cranks out. Sure enough frames went from 10-16 up to 40-75 frames, dependsing on the area. SO to answer the ?, no AoC does not run better on quads, not atm anyway.

Never Fear RADIO_ACTIVE is here...

Turn the shader from 3.0 to 2.X or 2.0 in the advanced video settings it will greatly improve your FPS. Trust me, it will go from the teens to about 50-60 on average. Sometimes it will automatically switch back to 3.0 so check it occassionally. So you shouldn't have to turn off shadows if you do this.
June 3, 2008 3:41:09 PM

AoC does not officially support SLI, but at the higher resolutions you should still see some kind of benefit. If you stick with 1280x1024 resolution then you're not going to see much of anything from SLI

DX10: There was an option on the video menu for a while, but FC took it off and annouced that native DX 10 support would be coming later in the year.

Quad vs. Dual core: AoC is mildly multi-threaded but seems to prefer doing most of the load on one core. That's said it IS multi-threaded and in some outdoor multi-player areas with lots of people I have seen it do 100% on one core and more than 50% on another.

Going Quad vs. Dual at this moment will only gain you benefit if you're running other programs in the background so they don't interfere with AOC.

I have a C2Q6600, I do multitask while playing the game. The extra cores are worth it.

AoC was meant for beefy machines and as more players end up in the same areas its going to demand more and more power from your machine. If you don't have the money the position your machine for easy upgrades. If you do have the money...go nuts now, you won't regret it later.
June 3, 2008 7:03:26 PM

So many replies and do any of you posters have any experience with AOC and SLI?

Not only is SLI not officially supported, but I have read on the AOC forums and been told by guildies that running SLI has caused issues. I personally run 8800GT's and with SLI enabled, I would get random artifacting and eventual crashes. Once SLI was disabled, the client is super stable. So if you want to compare performance using AOC, I would have her disable SLI.

Additionally, more often than not, performance overall is going to be better on XP. Not to put down your uber pc building skills, but those could be contributing factors as to the performance difference.

cheers,
noobalicious
June 3, 2008 7:32:48 PM

Kind of retarded for the people with high resolutions, since SLI is basically required to handle all that vid memory at high settings
June 3, 2008 8:20:44 PM

I am running SLI and am not having any issues since I turned the shaders to 2.0 instead of 3.0.
!