from win 98 to xp home edition

hello. a newbie here. do i need to uninstall win 98 before installing xp home
edition on my computer.

thanks

ShaunaLee wrote:
> hello. a newbie here. do i need to uninstall win 98 before
> installing
> xp home edition on my computer.
>
> thanks

Not necessarily. Some people will recommend that you perform a
clean installation, rather than upgrade over an earlier OS. For the
most part, I feel that these people, while well-meaning, are living in
the past, and are basing their recommendation on their experiences
with older operating systems. You'd probably save a lot of time by
upgrading your PC to WinXP, rather than performing a clean
installation, if you've no hardware or software incompatibilities.
Microsoft has greatly improved (over earlier versions of Windows)
WinXP's ability to smoothly upgrade an earlier OS.

WinXP is designed to install and upgrade the existing operating
system while simultaneously preserving your applications and data, and
translating as many personalized settings as possible. The process is
designed to be, and normally is, quite painless. That said, things
can go wrong, in a small number of cases. If your data is at all
important to you, back it up before proceeding.

Have you made sure that your PC's hardware components are capable
of supporting WinXP? This information will be found at the PC's
manufacturer's web site, and on Microsoft's Windows Catalog:
(http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx) Additionally, run
Microsoft WinXP Upgrade Advisor to see if you have any incompatible
hardware components or applications.

You should, before proceeding, take a few minutes to ensure that
there are WinXP device drivers available for all of the machine's
components. There may not be, if the PC was specifically designed for
Win98/Me. Also bear in mind that PCs designed for, sold and run fine
with Win9x/Me very often do not meet WinXP's much more stringent
hardware quality requirements. This is particularly true of many
models in Compaq's consumer-class Presario product line or HP's
consumer-class Pavilion product line. WinXP, like WinNT and Win2K
before it, is quite sensitive to borderline defective or substandard
hardware (particularly motherboards, RAM and hard drives) that will
still support Win9x.

HOW TO Prepare to Upgrade Win98 or WinMe
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316639

Upgrading to Windows XP
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having
both at once. - RAH

Hi Shauna,

Short answer is no. There is no reason to do a clean installation unless you
want to. Upgrade advice:
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"ShaunaLee" <ShaunaLee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hello. a newbie here. do i need to uninstall win 98 before installing xp
> home
> edition on my computer.
>
> thanks

thanks so much for your quick reply.

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi Shauna,
>
> Short answer is no. There is no reason to do a clean installation unless you
> want to. Upgrade advice:
> http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "ShaunaLee" <ShaunaLee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > hello. a newbie here. do i need to uninstall win 98 before installing xp
> > home
> > edition on my computer.
> >
> > thanks

papa

No, but you should run the XP compatibility program (it is on the XP CD
disk) BEFORE installing XP. It will point out any problems that you may
encounter. Some older systems are just not appropriate for XP, and some of
your existing hardware may need new drivers - which may or may not be
available.

"ShaunaLee" <ShaunaLee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hello. a newbie here. do i need to uninstall win 98 before installing xp
> home
> edition on my computer.
>
> thanks

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 17:41:13 -0400, "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote:

And just a comment that I wish I'd known before that option existed. If you
have the drive space, you can run BOTH win98 and winxp. I lost tons of software
by upgrading where if I had kept the win98 system, I might have still been able
to use it. A good example is M$ Java. It's no longer compatible.

Win98 has to be installed on the system before XP.

>No, but you should run the XP compatibility program (it is on the XP CD
>disk) BEFORE installing XP. It will point out any problems that you may
>encounter. Some older systems are just not appropriate for XP, and some of
>your existing hardware may need new drivers - which may or may not be
>available.
>
>"ShaunaLee" <ShaunaLee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> hello. a newbie here. do i need to uninstall win 98 before installing xp
>> home
>> edition on my computer.
>>
>> thanks

My computer tower is an e monster 500a machine, my operating system is
Windows XP and my Internet Service provider is SBCYahoo DSL. From the moment
I turn my computer on, it runs very, very, very slowly. What can I do to
speed it up?

papa

You should not start a new discussion in an old thread, but to answer your
question - the most effective single thing you can do is to add more memory.

I looked up your computer with my Google search engine, and found out that
it comes with only 64 MB of memory. I suggest you up that to at least 128
MB, and even more would be better. All of my XP computers run on 512 MB.

Also I found that your computer came with only a 500 MHZ CPU. For Windows
XP, that is pretty slow. If possible, replace it with one running at 1 GHZ
or faster.

Another thing, have you defragmented your hard drive recently? Perhaps you
should.

"THEJESS" <THEJESS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My computer tower is an e monster 500a machine, my operating system is
> Windows XP and my Internet Service provider is SBCYahoo DSL. From the
> moment
> I turn my computer on, it runs very, very, very slowly. What can I do to
> speed it up?

Unless you have always run a firewall and scanned for
spyware, you probably have a ton of "evil" stuff clogging
your CPU cycles.
Get SpyBot Search and Destroy www.safer-networking.org and
Ad-Aware SE Personal
from www.lavasoftusa.com These are free and will detect and
remove unwanted programs.

And follow Papa's advice and buy a 256 MB RAM stick. It is
possible that you have 2 -32 MB sticks now and will have to
remove one or both in order to upgrade your RAM, but RAM is
not too expensive.