DWL 120D with Linksys BEFW11S4 Connection woes

I've just got a nice new Linksys BEFW11S4 router. I have upgraded it
to the latest firmware (1.50.3 i think) that I could find on the
Linksys UK site. I have it working great with two PC's connected by
Cat5 and a Pocket PC with a D Link DCF 660W wireless lan CF card. The
problem comes with the DWL 120+ on the third PC (running XP Pro Sp1)
(rev. d). It connects to the wireless network with an excellent signal
but thats it! It seems unable to obtain and IP address over the DHCP
(which is enabled, it works on the PPC!) Even when I enter IP details
manually it doesn't connect! I have tried different drivers (the ones
that came with it, and two different ones from D Link sites).
The router it set up for MAC filtering on the wireless side, and I can
see the DWL 120 comp on it, and added it's MAC address (from the
wireless clients MAC list) but it shows no comp name and an I.P
address of 0.0.0.0!

I even tried putting in my now spare DWL 520+, but unfortuantely I
have one of the Promise ATA100 controllers it has issues with (the
original reason I got the DWL 120!), after reading on other groups
apparently attatching the primary HD to the normal IDE controllers and
disabling the Promise one allows the card to install ok, but when I do
this my XP hangs on the loading screen!

Any suggestions would be appreciated and may I thank those that do
reply in advance!

Mark Skrzypczyk wrote:
> I've just got a nice new Linksys BEFW11S4 router. I have upgraded it
> to the latest firmware (1.50.3 i think) that I could find on the
> Linksys UK site. I have it working great with two PC's connected by
> Cat5 and a Pocket PC with a D Link DCF 660W wireless lan CF card. The
> problem comes with the DWL 120+ on the third PC (running XP Pro Sp1)
> (rev. d). It connects to the wireless network with an excellent signal
> but thats it! It seems unable to obtain and IP address over the DHCP
> (which is enabled, it works on the PPC!) Even when I enter IP details
> manually it doesn't connect! I have tried different drivers (the ones
> that came with it, and two different ones from D Link sites).
> The router it set up for MAC filtering on the wireless side, and I can
> see the DWL 120 comp on it, and added it's MAC address (from the
> wireless clients MAC list) but it shows no comp name and an I.P
> address of 0.0.0.0!
>
> I even tried putting in my now spare DWL 520+, but unfortuantely I
> have one of the Promise ATA100 controllers it has issues with (the
> original reason I got the DWL 120!), after reading on other groups
> apparently attatching the primary HD to the normal IDE controllers and
> disabling the Promise one allows the card to install ok, but when I do
> this my XP hangs on the loading screen!
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated and may I thank those that do
> reply in advance!

The first thing to do is review the settings for the adapter in device
manager. Set up the properties exactly as your other wireless is set
up. It is possible that even if you are using Wireless Zero
Configuration, any bogus settings in the device properties will
interfere. Check that Wireless Zero service is set to Automatic and is
Enabled. Make sure that any configuration utility is not running at
startup (start, run command, msconfig, startup tab). What happens if you
select to repair the connection? Does that fail? Is WEP/WPA enabled
properly? Are your systems open or shared keys and specified similarly?
Are you broadcasting SSID? If not, do it for testing. Also, try
disabling the router's MAC filtering while testing.

It might also be beneficial to do ipconfig /all from a command prompt on
a working wireless and on the problem computer to see if there is an
obvious difference in what is reported about the problem system that can
be used to diagnose the problem.