Slow browsing of W98SE machines from XP - what else can I ..

Hi - I have 2 WIN98SE machines, and one I just upgraded to XP Home SP2.
I can browse the XP machine from the 98SE machines just fine. However,
when I browse from the XP machine - soon after a boot, it hangs a lot.
Later, it hangs if I dig down too many directory levels. Usually it
comes back after hanging for up to a minute, but it's still painful.

I did some research> So far I

1) removed the registry key that causes it to try to see the scheduled
tasks on the remote machine
2) disabled uPnP services.

I was wondering if I should run wmiprvse - but I really don't know what
it does.

What else can I do here?

thanks!
/j

hmmm - how about replacing my bad NIC 8-{ 8-{ 8-{ 8-{ 8-{

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 12:01:27 -0400, Jeff W wrote:

> hmmm - how about replacing my bad NIC 8-{ 8-{ 8-{ 8-{ 8-{

Dont know why but it always surprises me how many network problems are
fixed (after hours and hours of other troubleshooting) by replacing a bad
NIC card. This bit of hardware is relatively inexpensive. Keeping a spare
on hand and trying it early in the troubleshooting process is probably a
good idea.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

I DO keep a spare on hand Sharon - the pain is when it only partially
fails so that it's not the first thing I think of 8-}

/j

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 10:56:24 -0400, Jeff W wrote:

> I DO keep a spare on hand Sharon - the pain is when it only partially
> fails so that it's not the first thing I think of 8-}

At least you thought of it ... eventually. ;^)
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

TRENDING THREADS