keyboard/mouse port on asus a7v333 die out?!

omegayen

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
my computer today that is only 7 months old just screwed up. the keyboard and mouse port no longer are working. i have a usb mouse that works fine, but the keyboard doesnt work and when i tried my old ps2 mouse it wouldnt work, i have a asus A7V333 motherboard, is there anyway i can fix this problem? or does anyone know if asus will send me a new motherboard, or should i just call the company i bought the comp from and see if they can fix it, i am still under warranty

i would also like to say that the keyboard lights up on all 3 lights, for a brief second as i put the keyboard in both of the ports, is it actually possible for just these ports to go out?

mito

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
I had an Asus a7a133 that experienced the exact same problem. The ps/2 mouse failed occasionaly until Windows XP didn't recognize it anymore after a few weeks. Later the COM ports weren't recognized either. Only the USB would work fine. To add insult to injury, 3 HD's were lost during this period (bad blocks and general failure). I was fed up and decided to upgrade to an ECS k7s5a mb.

There were three main suspects:

1. The AC plug wasn't grounded (shame on me!);
2. Defective PSU. Already bought me a new one (450w);
3. The ps/2 connector that's attached to the motherboard. I changed it, but the problem persisted.

/\/\ito<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Mito on 01/03/03 10:45 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

jedge78

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2002
i have an a7v333 and the ps2 keyboard often stops responding and i have to unplug it from the mobo and plug it in again to work...it is really annoying

mito

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
Jedge78,

In the beginning the same happened to me. After that if I used another mouse, the problem would be solved. However, after some weeks, the problems worsened until neither Windows XP nor MS-DOS would recognize the ps/2 mouse.

/\/\ito

jedge78

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2002
did you contact asus...if so what did they say...if not, do you know off hand how long the warranty is on the mobo?

mito

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
hello,

my case is unusual. I live in Brazil, purchased the system in Rio de Janeiro and moved to another state. Problems happened after I moved. Warranty was void after the first HD failure. I substituted the HD myself. The ps/2 problem persisted. I was on my own.

/\/\ito