Up Grade from Home to Pro

I currently have the Home edition on my computer and want to up grade to Pro.
My question is can this be done?
Is it easy?
Do I need to remove the home edition first to get a proper install of Pro?
And last ansd most important:
Is the experience that you have had with XP worth the trouble,
I have heard so much negative about XP and do not want more problems.

I appreciate your help and support.
Thanks
10 answers Last reply
More about grade home

    Maybe I was not clear enough in my previous post. I currently have windows
    XP Home edition and am thinking about upgrading to XP Pro. Please see my
    questions below for help...
    Thanks

    "Dominic" wrote:

    > I currently have the Home edition on my computer and want to up grade to Pro.
    > My question is can this be done?
    > Is it easy?
    > Do I need to remove the home edition first to get a proper install of Pro?
    > And last ansd most important:
    > Is the experience that you have had with XP worth the trouble,
    > I have heard so much negative about XP and do not want more problems.
    >
    > I appreciate your help and support.
    > Thanks

    An upgrade from XP Home to Pro is one of the more stable upgrade paths I've
    found. However having said that one must always be aware that upgrades can
    go wrong so ensure you have made backups of your important data. I always
    create a full system backup using imaging software first.

    Gary Woodruff has an excellent page on Upgrading here
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm
    I have some thoughts here regarding upgrading
    http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/upgrade_tips.htm
    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Dominic" <Dominic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | I currently have the Home edition on my computer and want to up grade to
    Pro.
    | My question is can this be done?
    | Is it easy?
    | Do I need to remove the home edition first to get a proper install of Pro?
    | And last ansd most important:
    | Is the experience that you have had with XP worth the
    trouble,
    | I have heard so much negative about XP and do not want more problems.
    |
    | I appreciate your help and support.
    | Thanks

    XP Home and XP Pro are the exact same operating system with a few
    exceptions. If the computer is running OK on Home it will also run OK on
    Pro. The only additional features on Pro are some increased security in the
    file system and ability to access a domain type of network. If you are on a
    system at your house and do not connect to a domain, don't want to use MS
    IIS, you really don't need to upgrade to XP Pro.

    See this site for difference in Home and Pro.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx

    > Maybe I was not clear enough in my previous post. I currently have
    windows
    > XP Home edition and am thinking about upgrading to XP Pro. Please see my
    > questions below for help...
    > Thanks
    >
    > "Dominic" wrote:
    >
    > > I currently have the Home edition on my computer and want to up grade to
    Pro.
    > > My question is can this be done?
    > > Is it easy?
    > > Do I need to remove the home edition first to get a proper install of
    Pro?
    > > And last ansd most important:
    > > Is the experience that you have had with XP worth the
    trouble,
    > > I have heard so much negative about XP and do not want more problems.
    > >
    > > I appreciate your help and support.
    > > Thanks

    Hi

    You'll need to see if your hardware/software has any conflicts with XP if
    you want to upgrade from ME. There are several useful links on each page as
    well. One of the main options you will have to decide on is the type of XP
    CD you wish to purchase - OEM, upgrade retail or full retail.

    Check the following articles out:

    "HOW TO: Prepare to Upgrade Windows 98 or Windows Millennium Edition to
    Windows XP"
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316639&Product=winxp

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/upgrading/advisor.mspx

    --

    Will Denny
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Dominic" <Dominic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I currently have the Home edition on my computer and want to up grade to
    >Pro.
    > My question is can this be done?
    > Is it easy?
    > Do I need to remove the home edition first to get a proper install of Pro?
    > And last ansd most important:
    > Is the experience that you have had with XP worth the trouble,
    > I have heard so much negative about XP and do not want more problems.
    >
    > I appreciate your help and support.
    > Thanks

    Dominic,
    As a long time Computerer/Builder I would personally stay with the Windows
    Xp Home Edition!
    You will find it more user friendly down the road, and save you money and
    headaches...
    Have troubleshooted more Xp Pros then Xp Home...
    Myself Yes I have Xp Home Edition and would not even consider anything else!

    Regards,
    L391

    "Dominic" wrote:

    > I currently have the Home edition on my computer and want to up grade to Pro.
    > My question is can this be done?
    > Is it easy?
    > Do I need to remove the home edition first to get a proper install of Pro?
    > And last ansd most important:
    > Is the experience that you have had with XP worth the trouble,
    > I have heard so much negative about XP and do not want more problems.
    >
    > I appreciate your help and support.
    > Thanks

    just installed XP pro, made everything on my system crash (office XP, etc)
    wouldn't recognize and use my modem..had to ignore windows setup's plea "I do
    not support going from XP pro to home!"...got rid of every single registry
    entry for every program, and every single shortcut...killed my computer,
    basically.

    "L391" wrote:

    > Dominic,
    > As a long time Computerer/Builder I would personally stay with the Windows
    > Xp Home Edition!
    > You will find it more user friendly down the road, and save you money and
    > headaches...
    > Have troubleshooted more Xp Pros then Xp Home...
    > Myself Yes I have Xp Home Edition and would not even consider anything else!
    >
    > Regards,
    > L391
    >

    > "Dominic" wrote:
    >
    > > I currently have the Home edition on my computer and want to up grade to Pro.
    > > My question is can this be done?
    > > Is it easy?
    > > Do I need to remove the home edition first to get a proper install of Pro?
    > > And last ansd most important:
    > > Is the experience that you have had with XP worth the trouble,
    > > I have heard so much negative about XP and do not want more problems.
    > >
    > > I appreciate your help and support.
    > > Thanks

    Dominic,
    As you noticed with the post from Tokakeke, take my advise at your own will!
    Always take notice of the Demon that could lie within.

    Regards,
    L391

    "Tokakeke" wrote:

    > just installed XP pro, made everything on my system crash (office XP, etc)
    > wouldn't recognize and use my modem..had to ignore windows setup's plea "I do
    > not support going from XP pro to home!"...got rid of every single registry
    > entry for every program, and every single shortcut...killed my computer,
    > basically.
    >
    > "L391" wrote:
    >
    > > Dominic,
    > > As a long time Computerer/Builder I would personally stay with the Windows
    > > Xp Home Edition!
    > > You will find it more user friendly down the road, and save you money and
    > > headaches...
    > > Have troubleshooted more Xp Pros then Xp Home...
    > > Myself Yes I have Xp Home Edition and would not even consider anything else!
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > L391
    > >

    > > "Dominic" wrote:
    > >
    > > > I currently have the Home edition on my computer and want to up grade to Pro.
    > > > My question is can this be done?
    > > > Is it easy?
    > > > Do I need to remove the home edition first to get a proper install of Pro?
    > > > And last ansd most important:
    > > > Is the experience that you have had with XP worth the trouble,
    > > > I have heard so much negative about XP and do not want more problems.
    > > >
    > > > I appreciate your help and support.
    > > > Thanks

    Harry
    Thanks for you help, here is another one for you if you can help or point me
    in the direction to get the help. I have something on my computer that keeps
    poping up when I log on to the internet called'about blank". No matter what I
    do or buy I have not been able to get rid of it. I have bought several
    spyware programs that did not work. What I have now on the computer are the
    following:
    Spy Sweeper it's not doing the job
    Ad-aware 6.0 I guess it's not working
    Registry Mechanic, It's not doing the job
    Norton anti Virus, it does not remove "about blank"
    Spy Sweeper; apparantly it's not removing this "about blank" thing either.
    Do you have any suggestions???
    HELP

    "Harry Ohrn" wrote:

    > An upgrade from XP Home to Pro is one of the more stable upgrade paths I've
    > found. However having said that one must always be aware that upgrades can
    > go wrong so ensure you have made backups of your important data. I always
    > create a full system backup using imaging software first.
    >
    > Gary Woodruff has an excellent page on Upgrading here
    > http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm
    > I have some thoughts here regarding upgrading
    > http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/upgrade_tips.htm
    > --
    >
    > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    >

    > "Dominic" <Dominic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > | I currently have the Home edition on my computer and want to up grade to
    > Pro.
    > | My question is can this be done?
    > | Is it easy?
    > | Do I need to remove the home edition first to get a proper install of Pro?
    > | And last ansd most important:
    > | Is the experience that you have had with XP worth the
    > trouble,
    > | I have heard so much negative about XP and do not want more problems.
    > |
    > | I appreciate your help and support.
    > | Thanks

    You did not upgrade correctly.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Tokakeke" <Tokakeke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | just installed XP pro, made everything on my system crash (office XP, etc)
    | wouldn't recognize and use my modem..had to ignore windows setup's plea "I
    do
    | not support going from XP pro to home!"...got rid of every single registry
    | entry for every program, and every single shortcut...killed my computer,
    | basically.
    |
    | "L391" wrote:
    |
    | > Dominic,
    | > As a long time Computerer/Builder I would personally stay with the
    Windows
    | > Xp Home Edition!
    | > You will find it more user friendly down the road, and save you money
    and
    | > headaches...
    | > Have troubleshooted more Xp Pros then Xp Home...
    | > Myself Yes I have Xp Home Edition and would not even consider anything
    else!

    | > Regards,
    | > L391
    | >

    | > "Dominic" wrote:
    | >
    | > > I currently have the Home edition on my computer and want to up grade
    to Pro.
    | > > My question is can this be done?
    | > > Is it easy?
    | > > Do I need to remove the home edition first to get a proper install of
    Pro?
    | > > And last ansd most important:
    | > > Is the experience that you have had with XP worth the
    trouble,
    | > > I have heard so much negative about XP and do not want more problems.
    | > >
    | > > I appreciate your help and support.
    | > > Thanks

    check the info here.
    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&frame=right&th=9bfc2e2137ad0756&seekm=ahufl09p8l6doqvfj15tnn920t42cjlh41%404ax.com#link2

    You may have to copy and paste the long url or you can click on the tinyurl
    version here http://tinyurl.com/4apsf

    --

    | Harry
    | Thanks for you help, here is another one for you if you can help or point
    me
    | in the direction to get the help. I have something on my computer that
    keeps
    | poping up when I log on to the internet called'about blank". No matter
    what I
    | do or buy I have not been able to get rid of it. I have bought several
    | spyware programs that did not work. What I have now on the computer are
    the
    | following:
    | Spy Sweeper it's not doing the job
    | Ad-aware 6.0 I guess it's not working
    | Registry Mechanic, It's not doing the job
    | Norton anti Virus, it does not remove "about blank"
    | Spy Sweeper; apparantly it's not removing this "about blank" thing either.
    | Do you have any suggestions???
    | HELP
    |
    | "Harry Ohrn" wrote:
    |
    | > An upgrade from XP Home to Pro is one of the more stable upgrade paths
    I've
    | > found. However having said that one must always be aware that upgrades
    can
    | > go wrong so ensure you have made backups of your important data. I
    always
    | > create a full system backup using imaging software first.
    | >
    | > Gary Woodruff has an excellent page on Upgrading here
    | > http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm
    | > I have some thoughts here regarding upgrading
    | > http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/upgrade_tips.htm
    | > --
    | >
    | > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    | > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    | >

    | > "Dominic" <Dominic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | > | I currently have the Home edition on my computer and want to up grade
    | > Pro.
    | > | My question is can this be done?
    | > | Is it easy?
    | > | Do I need to remove the home edition first to get a proper install of
    Pro?
    | > | And last ansd most important:
    | > | Is the experience that you have had with XP worth the
    | > trouble,
    | > | I have heard so much negative about XP and do not want more problems.
    | > |
    | > | I appreciate your help and support.
    | > | Thanks

Microsoft Windows XP