XP registration and activation

Ok I bought a referbished/returned Hp computer the other day with win XP oem
software already installed on it. After setting up the system I looked at
system information and noticed that my system and windows is already
registered to the previous user. Is there a way for me to change that
information? Please note my system did not come with windows disks (HP does
not provide disks for refurbished systems) I can do a restore from the
provided partition that comes with HP systems (F10 restore) but Im not sure
if that will help.
3 answers Last reply
More about registration activation

    Hi

    You 'may' be able to change the Registration details using the following
    link to Doug Knox's web site:

    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_change_owner.htm

    To check on the Activation status, run the following command from Start>Run:

    %systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /A

    --

    Will Denny
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Erinelsa" <Erinelsa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Ok I bought a referbished/returned Hp computer the other day with win XP
    > oem
    > software already installed on it. After setting up the system I looked at
    > system information and noticed that my system and windows is already
    > registered to the previous user. Is there a way for me to change that
    > information? Please note my system did not come with windows disks (HP
    > does
    > not provide disks for refurbished systems) I can do a restore from the
    > provided partition that comes with HP systems (F10 restore) but Im not
    > sure
    > if that will help.

    Erinelsa,
    By the way, if your PC came with a CD Writer, you should check with HP, and see if there is a way to copy the Restore (Hidden) partition to a CD, as a backup. If for some reason your PC's hard drive goes "south", you will need to find another method to reinstall the OS, after replacing the HDD. Or you will be force to buy another copy of Win XP.

    Rich/rerat

    (RRR News) <message rule>

    Erinelsa wrote:
    > Ok I bought a referbished/returned Hp computer the other day with
    > win
    > XP oem software already installed on it. After setting up the system
    > I looked at system information and noticed that my system and
    > windows
    > is already registered to the previous user. Is there a way for me to
    > change that information? Please note my system did not come with
    > windows disks (HP does not provide disks for refurbished systems) I
    > can do a restore from the provided partition that comes with HP
    > systems (F10 restore) but Im not sure if that will help.

    With second-hand computers, particularly if acquired from
    strangers, your wisest course of action would probably be to format
    the hard drives and start fresh. You don't want to get in trouble
    because the original owner may have filled the hard drive with kiddie
    porn, or have problems because the original owner downloaded/installed
    viruses or other malware. Some unscrupulous people could even sell a
    used computer preconfigured with the necessary key-loggers and spyware
    to collect your personal information for future use.

    However, to fix the "Registered to" information for WinNT/2K/XP,
    you can use Start > Run > Regedit.exe to edit:

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\RegisteredOwner

    and:

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current
    Version\RegisteredOrganization

    How this will affect the name displayed in previously installed
    applications will vary depending upon each individual program; some
    read the registered owner information dynamically, some read it only
    during installation, and some don't read it al all.

    The C:\Documents and Settings\Username folders _cannot_ be
    renamed, even if the associated user account has been. So, your best
    course of action would be to log on using the built-in Administrator
    account, create a new user account, with the username desired. You
    can then delete the old user account(s).

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having