martin

Hi

I’ve problem with a network I’ve just set up. There are several
computers on it, all configured the same way, but with different
hardware due to historical reasons. All the workstations are set on a
peer-peer workgroup for file sharing.

One of the machines will not join the network. All the others do just
fine, but this one is not showing on any of the others, and when the
workgroup is opened on the rogue machine it appears in the workgroup on
its own.

It’s almost as if there is a firewall in the way, but the config is the
same as all the others. I’m running XP-P SP2 with all the current
patches. Zone Alarm (Free) is running with the subnet of the group in
the Trusted zone (in fact it makes no difference whether it’s running or
not).

Any ideas? It’s the worst one to screw up because it’s the office
managers. Today I resorted to ripping out the entire network support on
that PC and reinstalling it, but it’s no different. I’ve done loads of
XP/W2k networks and never had this one before.

Looked at all the likely things using Google and the MS KB and nothing
even hints at what could be wrong

Cheers

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Try here http://www.careyholzman.com/netfixes.htm or here
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/troubleshoot/

"Martin" <martin_nospam@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I’ve problem with a network I’ve just set up. There are several computers
> on it, all configured the same way, but with different hardware due to
> historical reasons. All the workstations are set on a peer-peer workgroup
> for file sharing.
>
> One of the machines will not join the network. All the others do just
> fine, but this one is not showing on any of the others, and when the
> workgroup is opened on the rogue machine it appears in the workgroup on
> its own.
>
> It’s almost as if there is a firewall in the way, but the config is the
> same as all the others. I’m running XP-P SP2 with all the current patches.
> Zone Alarm (Free) is running with the subnet of the group in the Trusted
> zone (in fact it makes no difference whether it’s running or not).
>
> Any ideas? It’s the worst one to screw up because it’s the office
> managers. Today I resorted to ripping out the entire network support on
> that PC and reinstalling it, but it’s no different. I’ve done loads of
> XP/W2k networks and never had this one before.
>
> Looked at all the likely things using Google and the MS KB and nothing
> even hints at what could be wrong
>
> Cheers

martin

Jerry wrote:
> Try here http://www.careyholzman.com/netfixes.htm or here
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/troubleshoot/
>
> "Martin" <martin_nospam@btinternet.com> wrote in message

thanks Jerry

apart from the Load IPX/SPX bit I've done all that.

I've been setting up these networks for 10 years now and never had a
machine that so refused to go onto a connection before.

I wouldn't care, but it's only the one beast! All the others work as
sweet as anything. Ah well, tomorrow is a another day which I intend
spending in my home office, and back on-site wednesday when I'm feeling
fresh and alert again.

To be honest with you, I was getting to the stage where I was going to
rip out the Dell install and replace it with my own (licenced) fresh
XP-P SP1 disks and pay for the fees myself.

The most obvious. How many machines on the network. More than 10 and you
are not going to get the 11th system connected. Probably not the case
but...

"Martin" <martin_nospam@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I’ve problem with a network I’ve just set up. There are several
> computers on it, all configured the same way, but with different
> hardware due to historical reasons. All the workstations are set on a
> peer-peer workgroup for file sharing.
>
> One of the machines will not join the network. All the others do just
> fine, but this one is not showing on any of the others, and when the
> workgroup is opened on the rogue machine it appears in the workgroup on
> its own.
>
> It’s almost as if there is a firewall in the way, but the config is the
> same as all the others. I’m running XP-P SP2 with all the current
> patches. Zone Alarm (Free) is running with the subnet of the group in
> the Trusted zone (in fact it makes no difference whether it’s running or
> not).
>
> Any ideas? It’s the worst one to screw up because it’s the office
> managers. Today I resorted to ripping out the entire network support on
> that PC and reinstalling it, but it’s no different. I’ve done loads of
> XP/W2k networks and never had this one before.
>
> Looked at all the likely things using Google and the MS KB and nothing
> even hints at what could be wrong
>
> Cheers

martin

Martin wrote:
> Hi
>
> I’ve problem with a network I’ve just set up. There are several
> computers on it, all configured the same way, but with different
> hardware due to historical reasons. All the workstations are set on a
> peer-peer workgroup for file sharing.
>
> One of the machines will not join the network. All the others do just
> fine, but this one is not showing on any of the others, and when the
> workgroup is opened on the rogue machine it appears in the workgroup on
> its own.
>
> It’s almost as if there is a firewall in the way, but the config is the
> same as all the others. I’m running XP-P SP2 with all the current
> patches. Zone Alarm (Free) is running with the subnet of the group in
> the Trusted zone (in fact it makes no difference whether it’s running or
> not).
>
> Any ideas? It’s the worst one to screw up because it’s the office
> managers. Today I resorted to ripping out the entire network support on
> that PC and reinstalling it, but it’s no different. I’ve done loads of
> XP/W2k networks and never had this one before.
>
> Looked at all the likely things using Google and the MS KB and nothing
> even hints at what could be wrong
>
> Cheers

Hi

Thanks for the tips everyone.

Do you know what it was? I'm really annoyed about it. Today i stripped
the machine down one install at a time and it suddenly started to work
properly. Once SP2 went, the machine did everything it should have done
in the first place.

Ah well.

One more for the SP2 knowlege base. BTW the machine is a DELL Latitude
2400. I blew it out today, installed the OS from MS original media
(rather than the Dell media) and installed SP2 and all the rest of the
patches. It works as sweet as a nut.

It really looked like there was a firewall in the way you know, but all
the firewalling was suposedly turned off while I was testing the beast.

LVT: No, there ate 6 machines on the network, next year I'm going to
insist they have a real IT budget and actually stump up for a server and
small business server or something like that.

cheers guys