Anyone else waste their money on Quake Wars??

FATAL STR1K3

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
:fou: Recently got a new rig so i decided to get a new game... Quake wars looked pretty cool so i got it.

of course it is nothing good. total waste of my $30.

Anyone else think that this game is BF2142 except a lot worse??

And to top it all off EB Games wont let me return and PC games since it is open(atleast thats what their website says)

Should I have gotten UT3 or COD4 ??

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
UT3 is kinda nice looking, but IMO not that great, there's hardly anything good to look at (if you have time, BOOM HEADSHOT!).

Get bored quick with UT3, same as Quake Wars (was fun for a bit, but quickly got repetitive).

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
You should have gone with The Orange Box, it's the best bundle game box available.

Team Fortress 2 alone will keep you entertained for years. Especially now with all the updates of the game, including the unlockable weapons and achievements etc.

FATAL STR1K3

Distinguished
May 21, 2008

lolz.

yeah i started playin UT04 just to kill some time and it is real fun but gets very boring.... those 1.23 second spawn kills are a bitch..

i wish i could reinstall BF2142 but punkbuster is gay and wont let me...also i dont feel like getting the expansion and all the patches..

i kinda wish i got COD4... it was great for xbox(imo) and i can only imagine it is like on PC.

WARNING: please play the demo before purchasing!!

spanner_razor

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
I actually liked the tighter team integration of quake wars, good for a group of mates but fairly pointless on a random server. It's a smaller game in scale than Battlefield 2142 so that all the combat centers around the objectives and not around the 5 silos or captured areas or half stuck on ground while the rest assault the titan. You need to treat it as a team game to get the most out of qw:et i feel.

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006

Yes, you should have gotten CoD 4, but ETQW is a good game imo. I got it on day 1 and it had its problems, but the patches made it much better. I started playing it again after they patched it and actually was on it right before I got on this thread (I like it much much more than BF2142). I love UT, but most people dont like those kind of games, so I cant really recommend it. CoD 4 is one that is always a good play.

Best,

3Ball

Oh Snap

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008

That seems like a problem with games these days. Multiplayer is important, but too much emphasis on teamwork makes the game completely terrible on random pub servers. Just look at Savage 2. That game has all the potential to be incredibly fun and amazing, and they combined the RPG/RTS/FPS very well. The only problem is, they really made it like playing a first person RTS. It's like getting to play first person StarCraft. Your entire team needs to work together, and often times you end up playing as a marine against an ultralisk. The simple fact is, the marine is going to die. In an RTS, that's fine because it's just another unit to you. But an actual person is playing that unit, and most online players are selfish douchebags only concerned with saving themselves and getting kills. So they run away, don't help their team, and the team loses. Games that understand that most people are idiots and only concerned with self-preservation tend to be more successful, and fun for everyone. I'm sure if I had 10 other players constantly on ventrilo and ready to play Quake Wars as an organized team, I'd have fun with it.

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
Bought quake wars, installed it, played it for a bit, thought "this aint no bf2/bf2142, even less appealing than stalker multiplayer", stopped playing and put disc back in case. End of my quake wars story. It could be alot of fun but you'll have to be part of a clan or have lots of pc owning mates, otherwise its more charging the enemy on public servers but in a less fun way than the battlefield games.

anthropophaginian

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
I only played the demo but I didn't think it was too bad.
I was almost going to get it since I saw it really cheap somewhere but didn't have the time to play it.

But yes, teamplay is important. I've seen a lot of people just going for kills and then losing the game. Ah well, I suppose you get that in most games.

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Sorry you don't like it, but I think you should give it more time. . . I can't stand Team Fortress 2 in comparison, it just seems like spam. BF games really don't hit my spot either.

For Quake Wars, you really need to focus on objectives and doing your job.

You also might want to check out quake wars for noobs site to help you out with what your supposed to do.

FATAL STR1K3

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
Yeah, san pedro... i think that i just need time to let it soak in

actually..that happpens a lot. i dnt like a game, but then i get used to it.

but i do wish that the servers were more populated like bf2142

MattC

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2004
I like QW, but I don't think it's as accessible as other FPS. As others have said, teamwork is much more important. A coordinated team is a blast to play on, though - there are just so many diverse roles to play, unlike in a game like COD4, where you're either rushing, sniping, or something in between - in Quake Wars, you have those roles, but along with those you have people calling in artillary (which is implemented much better than in CODIV or BF), setting up and maintaining turrets, healing, throwing down shields to absorb a little firepower, and even sneaking around in disguise, sabotaging enemy structures, placing mines, and backstabbing.
Unfortunately, the game engine is not nearly as well developed as CODIV or HL2. It's not even as well designed as BF2, and in my opinion BF2 is just clunky (especially when compared to a truly polished title like CODIV).

If you're having trouble finding a fun game on ETQW, switch servers until you find people talking, then follow someone's directions. There's not much quite as fun as working with 10 other people to hold off coordinated attacks, and it's a refreshing change from BF2 and CODIV to have a map that you play in parts - in BF2 and COD IV you usually can be anywhere on the map and still find battle, but ETQW requires you to to focus on the objective at hand.

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
mattc speaks the truth. Another thing that might help is playing defense first. I think it's a lot easier to learn strategies and work as a team playing defense (especially a technician who sits near objective passing out stroyent and making spawn hosts). You might also want to focus on one role for a while to get good at it.