Is this worth it? Dell Special Alienware Aurora!

Status
Not open for further replies.

peebz

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
Today was slow at work, so I spent it looking for a new PC as mine is rather aged. My current build worked amazing in games such as Warhammer and World of Warcraft. Now I'm playing AION and it seems a bit more demanding. I feel its time to upgrade anyway.

I have experience building computers, but I feel safe in the decision in buying one this time around, especially since I think its a great deal! Now, to get your opinion on it!

Dell has a 24hour sell, 11 hours remaining as of now, which include an alienware aurora. (Oh i know, not worth paying for the name, but its on sale!) Here are the specs so far.

$1588.94 FREE SHIPPING $1499.00+tax(89.94)

CHASSIS COLOR Cosmic Black, Alienware Aurora Chassis
PROCESSOR Overclocked Intel® Core™ i7 920 (3.2GHz, 8MB Cache)
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
VIDEO CARD Single 1GB GDDR5 ATI Radeon™ HD 5870
MEMORY 9GB Triple Channel 1067Mhz DDR3
HARD DRIVE 500GB - SATA-II, 3Gb/s, 7,200RPM, 16MB Cache HDD
OPTICAL DRIVE Single Drive: 24X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability
MONITOR No Monitor
KEYBOARD No Keyboard
WARRANTY AND SERVICE 1 Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis

My current build:
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz, 2997 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Ultimate
GeForce 9800 GTX 512MBs
4GB Ram

I want an updated build. Do you guys think its a big enough jump between what I have and what I want? Is the dell special a good deal? And for any AION players, will this rid fortress siege lag? (Main purpose of the build)! Also, I have a limited time for the offer, so reply quick :) Thank you!

king421

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009

I say definitely not. It's probably priced at least $500 more than if you build it yourself for just those parts. Look at the homebuilt systems section to see what other people are getting for that price.

kemilyon

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
I don't know, if you combine it with 5% Bing cashback or Discover double cashback which may be 10% IIRC it will at least cover some of your tax. If you are set on buying vs building, I think it's decent, but i personally would get at least a 2 or 3 year hardware warranty. I would be suspect of the quality of the ram, mobo, ps, etc

I don't think it's worth it either. You can build a lot with $1600, or at least pick up the extras they don't include with the same specs.

@kemilyon: The cashbacks would probably be the same as anywhere, especially the Discover. You also probably wouldn't pay taxes at other stores (such as Newegg), which offsets a lot of the cashback...

G

just change your graphics card to an ati 5870 and stick a q9550 in there! a lot of upcoming games r gonna be usn quad cores soon!

also your current e8400 is good to overclock to 4ghz with the right motherboard and adequate cooling!

Status
Not open for further replies.