Hello
I am a "newbie", so don't laugh too hard at my questions and comments.
I am using a new PC (Gateway), and I got the model that has a DVD/CD trays
that burn and a tray that plays back. I have a scanner/printer, and take
pictures with a digital camera (which I download to the hard drive), and I
have music downloaded to the hard drive that I can save to a disc.
I have tried Easy CD Creator and the CD BurnerXP Pro to burn what I choose
to either discs. I am testing with DVD-RW and CD-RW to try to work things
out.
The discs will play fine on the pc, but when I try them on the DVD/VHS
player hooked to the tv, and to a CD stereo unit, both units display "no
disc". I have tried to play music CDs on a portable CD player, but nothing
seems to work.
I had hoped to be able to scan our pictures and burn them to DVDs or CDs,
and view them on the tv through the DVD player, and to get them to use as a
"slide-show", which works on the pc.
I need help. I'm beginning to feel like I wasted my money with this system.
Can someone explain to me how to solve the problems with what I am doing????
--
Thanks for any assistance or suggestions.
Amber

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 06:49:03 -0700, "Amber"
<Amber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>I am a "newbie", so don't laugh too hard at my questions and comments.

Go to this site http://www.videohelp.com/

Spend a few days (yes days... there is a LOT there) reading the HOW TO
articles to learn WHAT to do, as well as how to do it

>have music downloaded to the hard drive that I can save to a disc.

Files on a hard drive which you may view/play on a computer are NOT
always the same as files to play in a stereo or Tv box (go to the
site listed above and do a lot of reading) so you need software which
will create the file TYPES and data STRUCTURES appropriate to where
you want to play the file

You also need to know that SOME standalone players simply will not
read a CD or DVD created on a computer (most new ones will... there
are also compatibility lists at the above site)

>I need help. I'm beginning to feel like I wasted my money with this system.
>Can someone explain to me how to solve the problems with what I am doing????

Go to the above site and read

John Thomas Smith
http://www.direct2usales.com
http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

You have to use CD-R CDs and you must finalize them before playing on home
equipment.

"Amber" <Amber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
[...]

I feel your pain. You've gotten some good advice here-the CD-RWs won't ever
work in your player, but CD-Rs are cheap and it doesn't cost much to
experiment.
You also need to find out the limitations of your DVD player-check the
manual or look at the www.videohelp.com site already mentioned. All DVD
players are not created equal.
Also, check out the EasyCD site and the tutorials:
http://www.roxio.com/en/support/tutorials/index.jhtml
I have a strong preference for Nero:www.nero.com
It's much easier to use and you can download a trial copy.
I regularly create DVDs and CDs that work in my DVD player and my car CD
player, so this can be done, but you'll have to do some research or get a
knowledgable friend to help. Take your time and all will be well.

"Amber" wrote:

> Hello
> I am a "newbie", so don't laugh too hard at my questions and comments.
> I am using a new PC (Gateway), and I got the model that has a DVD/CD trays
> that burn and a tray that plays back. I have a scanner/printer, and take
> pictures with a digital camera (which I download to the hard drive), and I
> have music downloaded to the hard drive that I can save to a disc.
> I have tried Easy CD Creator and the CD BurnerXP Pro to burn what I choose
> to either discs. I am testing with DVD-RW and CD-RW to try to work things
> out.
> The discs will play fine on the pc, but when I try them on the DVD/VHS
> player hooked to the tv, and to a CD stereo unit, both units display "no
> disc". I have tried to play music CDs on a portable CD player, but nothing
> seems to work.
> I had hoped to be able to scan our pictures and burn them to DVDs or CDs,
> and view them on the tv through the DVD player, and to get them to use as a
> "slide-show", which works on the pc.
> I need help. I'm beginning to feel like I wasted my money with this system.
> Can someone explain to me how to solve the problems with what I am doing????
> --
> Thanks for any assistance or suggestions.
> Amber

Nero is very good for burning almost all types discs if you burn with
it's guidance, and it is good in compatibility with player. try once
please

--
fielduq

If you feel completely inept just use Dvd Santa though dvd architect seems
to give better resolution.
"Amber" <Amber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello
> I am a "newbie", so don't laugh too hard at my questions and comments.
> I am using a new PC (Gateway), and I got the model that has a DVD/CD trays
> that burn and a tray that plays back. I have a scanner/printer, and take
> pictures with a digital camera (which I download to the hard drive), and I
> have music downloaded to the hard drive that I can save to a disc.
> I have tried Easy CD Creator and the CD BurnerXP Pro to burn what I choose
> to either discs. I am testing with DVD-RW and CD-RW to try to work things
> out.
> The discs will play fine on the pc, but when I try them on the DVD/VHS
> player hooked to the tv, and to a CD stereo unit, both units display "no
> disc". I have tried to play music CDs on a portable CD player, but
> nothing
> seems to work.
> I had hoped to be able to scan our pictures and burn them to DVDs or CDs,
> and view them on the tv through the DVD player, and to get them to use as
> "slide-show", which works on the pc.
> I need help. I'm beginning to feel like I wasted my money with this
> system.
> Can someone explain to me how to solve the problems with what I am
> doing????
> --
> Thanks for any assistance or suggestions.
> Amber

It might have helped if she stated the make of her DVD/CD writer. The
problem contrary to what you read is usually with the writer not the blank
media and rarely is with the dvd player. For a simple slideshow almost any
program should work for preparing the cd or dvd the problem is those
programs themselves have flaws in the burning process. Good advice is just
use those programs to prepare the DVD/CD and use a reliable burning program
to make the DVD or cd.