Battlefield 2 or Battlefield 2142?

Hey everyone,

I am trying to decide which of the Battlefields to buy. Which one did you think was best? Battlefield 2 or 2142? Include good mods in your judgment.
30 answers Last reply
More about battlefield battlefield 2142
  1. BF2!!!!! - seriously its the best one imho. BF2 is fast paced with some excellently designed maps and just seems to function as a whole alot better than bf2142, which has lost a little something over its predecessor. Its hard to describe but 2142 has lost a little bit of that 'magic' that made bf2 sooo good. Im more or less fed up with it now, but I bought it the month it came out (around august 2005) and more or less spent 90% of my gaming time on this one title. I was a hopeless bf2 addict lol. Despite its age its still very popular, i think 3 times more people play bf2 as play bf2142, ...and i say 'very popular' not because im a hopeless bf2 fanboy but because there are thousands of people playing it at any one time, a quick search for servers that match your search criteria gets like 800 hits (i generally look for large maps with vehicles). Its not just seasoned players thou cos you notice a haelthy scattering of noobs all over the place in every game, so most rounds are a nice mix of drama, comedy, frustration and of course heaps of fun. I recently switched to bf2142 for a change of scene in my gaming habits but it just doesn't have quite the bite of bf2. Its still alot of fun thou. Just a word, if you do buy 2142 you should get the 'Northern Strike' expansion pack (genuine expansion pack not a mod), which apparently brings some more intense maps and new vehicles and weapons. Cheers.
  2. 1 vote for BF2, I'd vote for BF1942 twice if I could!
  3. Are any of the expansion packs for BF2 worth getting?
  4. i like bf2 better.
  5. I agree - BF2 is far better than 2142. Of course, they're both great games - BF2, to me, has more strategic options vs. 2142 though. One example is the number of kits available in BF2. You can choose from 7 or so kits whereas in 2142 there are only 4. Even though the kits in 2142 are all combinations of two or more BF2 kits, there is still more of a strategic style of play to BF2 since you're limited to only one play-style per kit.

Also, BF2 has been out longer than 2142 - it's had more time to develop and more time to find bugs and fix 'em. I don't mean to say that the gameplay in 2142 is buggy, but there still is the occasional bug you'll encounter more often than one in BF2.

EDIT:
    Honestly though... I would just get both of them if I were you. They're both great games and it's more of a preference thing anyway.
  6. personally i prefer 2142, and i know of others who do, however i can this just leading to a list of reasons to why i am stupid.
  7. Oh and they have just patched 2142, so hopefully them bugs have gone, and there are also now 4 game modes i believe, Conquest, titan, assaulted lines, assault conquest.
  8. BF2 is slower paced and more basic where BF2142 is often filled with faster paced / congested maps and has a little more depth in the upgrades. IMO BF2142 is a bit more sloppy than BF2 but more fun. I have been playing it more than BF2 lately. They are quite different in game play if you break it down but what I like the best is that BDF2142 seems to be more stable on my system...quicker load times and less crashes.
  9. SpinachEater said:
    BF2 is slower paced and more basic where BF2142 is often filled with faster paced / congested maps and has a little more depth in the upgrades. IMO BF2142 is a bit more sloppy than BF2 but more fun. I have been playing it more than BF2 lately. They are quite different in game play if you break it down but what I like the best is that BDF2142 seems to be more stable on my system...quicker load times and less crashes.

Aaarghh! I was leaning toward BF2 from the previous comments then you came along! :D If I had the dough I would just buy both of them. I think I would like the higher tech feel of 2142. But I also like the sound of a better developed BF2. Also from the sound of it their are more people on the BF2 servers.
  10. So far BF2142 has 66.7% of the vote.
  11. If you have a military mindest and prefer more realistic, modern combat, get BF2, but I would say that overall BF2142 is more fun because there are more achievements and bonuses you can get. It's tons of fun. The only reason to choose BF2 over 2142 is like I said before, if you want realistic modern combat
  12. extremepilot said:
    but I would say that overall BF2142 is more fun because there are more achievements and bonuses you can get. It's tons of fun.

I like achievements and bonuses. Hmm... I do also like realism... I think I'll get 2142.
  13. extremepilot said:
    If you have a military mindest and prefer more realistic, modern combat, get BF2, but I would say that overall BF2142 is more fun because there are more achievements and bonuses you can get. It's tons of fun. The only reason to choose BF2 over 2142 is like I said before, if you want realistic modern combat

100% agree with that. BF2 has a more realistic look and feel to it...it is one of the reasons why I like it.
  14. PS
    The upgrades lack though. They cap off pretty fast in BF2. This is an extra 2142 plug...I like how they consolidated the kits. Now the engineer kit is fun to play.

I think 2142 is a good choice. Haha, sorry to come in with the late comment and mess you up!
  15. SpinachEater said:
    PS
    The upgrades lack though. They cap off pretty fast in BF2. This is an extra 2142 plug...I like how they consolidated the kits. Now the engineer kit is fun to play.

I think 2142 is a good choice. Haha, sorry to come in with the late comment and mess you up!

:p

Now I will start shopping for a copy of 2142. How many different expansions did they make for 2142?
  16. first i had bf2, my pci 6600Gt got artifacts, so i bought a new graka for it, later i hear that bf2142 loads faster, has more upgrades.... more fun

and indeed i played 3x times more 2142 than bf2. also killing someone in 2142 is easier than in 2. go for the 2142. and go for the bf2 :D
  17. Well I hope y'all are right about 2142 because I just bought it off Ebay.
  18. I just can't stand the 2142 sand and ice maps (played for 2 months, got general, most awards etc, bored, quit), played Bf2 for 3 years and still haven't got all! GOTTA CATCH EM ALL!!!!
  19. stemnin said:
    I just can't stand the 2142 sand and ice maps (played for 2 months, got general, most awards etc, bored, quit), played Bf2 for 3 years and still haven't got all! GOTTA CATCH EM ALL!!!!

that's the reason i loved 2142 (faster ranking)
  20. Do I buy a Ferrari or a Lamborghini? Can't afford both. Well you haven't got that problem cos for the Zillion hours of fun that can be had from either game, the cost for both BF2/BF2142 is less than the ashtray in the Ferrari.
  21. I am a fan of new games. Crysis, COD4, and I also enjoyed Quake Wars a bit. There's only 2 games from the past that I still play regularly to this day. That would be Diablo II and BF2.

The BF2 is in IMO a much better experience than Bf2142. BF2 is more realistic as well and although I like mods, you won't need them in BF2 because the game itself is plenty.

As for the Expansion packs, I have Special forces but have barely used it. However, you can get the BF2 full package for very cheap and for that kind of money, I'd recommend it.

BF2142 is ok...upgrades are somewhat better and more rewarding but the overall experience is less rewarding than BF2. It's hard to explain.
  22. ^ I thought that at first too. I got 2142 and ended up switching to BF2 after a few games for the more realistic gameplay. At some point though I started playing 2142 and forgot about BF2...I think the quicker load times and more responsive server list first netted me in.

I also got the Special forces pack and hate it. The maps always turn into a cluster F with more than 30 people and the addition of climbing ropes just gets you killed faster...

Not to switch the subject but how is COD4 multiplay in comparison to BF2? Once I upgrade GPUs I am going to try it out if it is any good.
  23. COD4 can't be compared to BF2...unless all you play is Karkand.

BF2 = vehicles and the whole interactive environment whereas COD4 is a shot'em up.
  24. Well after I get tired of 2142 I'll do that Star Wars mod..
  25. I've been playing BF2 since 2006. I have tried others: Halo, Rogue Spear, Medal of Honor Allied Assault, Crysis, Men of War, All the Call of Duty series, Black Hawk Down... and many more. I end up returning to BF2 (all the expansion packs installed). I always seek the 64 player maps, infantry only most of the time. Road to Jalalabad is favorite followed by Strike at Karkand for infantry only. Dragon Valley and Wake Island favorite for air and vehicle assault. Almost ready to turn over to 2 star General after 1,022 hours of game play. Stopped watching progress bar... now only play because is it the best!
  26. battlefield bad company 2
  27. Oh SH*T. I haven't been up on my games in a while. BC2 is on PC huh? That made my day.
  28. BF2 = ownage

Got both 2142 + BF2

2142 pros;

Titans float in air, theyre like floating bases which you can board and blow to tiny smitherenes.

High tech equipment such as stealth thingy ( makes you invisible )

2142 cons

Sniper rifles are nerd. They just feel gay.

Most guns feel gay.

No jets, you can get some type of like command and conquer Orca helicopter with jet engines type thingy, not as fun as BF2 jets.

Cartoony graphics.

BF2 pros

Best gfx ever

One of my favourite FPS of all time

Ownage guns, feel real. Plus bigger selection of them :P

Helicopters + Jets just own on there, so fun.

BF2 cons

HMM ?
  29. physx7 said:
    Are any of the expansion packs for BF2 worth getting?

IMO only expansion pack I played was Armored Fury because it brought in some cool highway maps, and the A10 , new bombers, tanks, and helis. U can download it for like 9.99 from EA downloader..

But anyway, i would got with BF2, i still play this :bounce:
  30. I concur with that. Armored Fury has some good maps. I enjoy the farm map quite a lot. Maybe a little too much....
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming Battlefield Video Games