Windows XP Reload

My laptop recently started freezing shortly after I downloaded SP2 and it has
got to the point that I have to reload my original system disks. It likes to
read the first disk but it continually freezes while trying to load XP. It
was recommened that during the reload process I select Yes to the request to
partition the recovery. I never get the prompt. Should I be using safe mode
to reload xp and if so what commands should i follow?
3 answers Last reply
More about windows reload

    Read the User's Guide that came with your laptop or visit the support
    web site of the manufacturer to learn how to properly utilize the
    recovery CDs to restore Windows XP.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Carl" wrote:

    | My laptop recently started freezing shortly after I downloaded SP2 and it has
    | got to the point that I have to reload my original system disks. It likes to
    | read the first disk but it continually freezes while trying to load XP. It
    | was recommened that during the reload process I select Yes to the request to
    | partition the recovery. I never get the prompt. Should I be using safe mode
    | to reload xp and if so what commands should i follow?

    Well we have tried all of the instructions so just wanted to know how to get
    XP to load from some other process. Again none of this started until we
    downloaded SP2. Can it be that much of a coincidence.?

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > Read the User's Guide that came with your laptop or visit the support
    > web site of the manufacturer to learn how to properly utilize the
    > recovery CDs to restore Windows XP.
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    >
    > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    > "Carl" wrote:
    >
    > | My laptop recently started freezing shortly after I downloaded SP2 and it has
    > | got to the point that I have to reload my original system disks. It likes to
    > | read the first disk but it continually freezes while trying to load XP. It
    > | was recommened that during the reload process I select Yes to the request to
    > | partition the recovery. I never get the prompt. Should I be using safe mode
    > | to reload xp and if so what commands should i follow?

    You're original system disks are likely recovery disks as opposed to an
    actual XP installation disk. These are customized disks and use a
    proprietary routine. We could give you the instructions for using a retail
    version of XP but those instructions won't work for recovery disks. If you
    are having problems getting the manufacturer recovery disks to work, you
    need to contact the system manufacturer for help.

    Sometimes, changes such as the updates you installed make the system
    unrecognizable to the recovery disks. Manufacturer's usually have methods
    for getting the disks to see the system again as well as jump starting the
    recovery routine that you currently are unable to initialize. Nonetheless,
    the information will have to come from the system manufacturer.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "carl" <carl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Well we have tried all of the instructions so just wanted to know how to
    > get
    > XP to load from some other process. Again none of this started until we
    > downloaded SP2. Can it be that much of a coincidence.?
    >
    > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Read the User's Guide that came with your laptop or visit the support
    >> web site of the manufacturer to learn how to properly utilize the
    >> recovery CDs to restore Windows XP.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Carey Frisch
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP - Shell/User
    >>
    >> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx

    >> "Carl" wrote:
    >>
    >> | My laptop recently started freezing shortly after I downloaded SP2 and
    >> it has
    >> | got to the point that I have to reload my original system disks. It
    >> likes to
    >> | read the first disk but it continually freezes while trying to load XP.
    >> It
    >> | was recommened that during the reload process I select Yes to the
    >> request to
    >> | partition the recovery. I never get the prompt. Should I be using safe
    >> mode
    >> | to reload xp and if so what commands should i follow?

Microsoft Windows XP