Which CPU/memory combo is the fastest?

dmicek

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2003
I'm looking to buy a "sweet spot" level system that is going to give me the most value/performance for my dollar today. I'm going to be doing about 70% gaming and the rest normal business application stuff.

I may try some light over-clocking but nothing extensive.

So here's my question... with all other components being equal....which one of these two CPU/mobo/memory platforms will give me the fastest overall performance?

1) AMD Athlon XP 2400+
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe
512kb Corsair XMS-3500 DDR

or

2) P4-2.4mhz 533fsb
Gigabyte GA-8IHXP
512Kb PC800 Rambus RDRAM

Thanks for your help.

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
The AMD setup will be faster. If you use PC1066 RDRAM with P4, then they will be almost equal.

I recommend getting the AMD setup

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=26708#26708" target="_new"> Go to my CPU Vendor Poll </A>

Andyddr

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
Yeah Spitfire is right. The P4 will be faster in Quake3 and a few other apps but in general the AMD is king (and cheaper too!!!). If you want to overclock then I`d read some of the forums here first `cause there is still a lot of confusion if the A7N8X Deluxe can unlock the multipliers. The A7N8X standard seems to be able unlock....

Your new hardware is out-of-date

cagemusic

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2002
I am confused... Most of the comparisons I see on Toms and Anadtech show the P4 2.4 beating the Athlon 2400 in 3D mark 2001 as well as Open GL-Q3. Why is it that everyone thinks the AMD setup would be so much better than a P4 with DDR400 or DDR333? I have also been debating between these two combinations.

Also the P4 2.4 and the XP 2400 are the same price! The mobos are within a few dollars of each other. Why is everyone saying AMD is cheaper? Maybe 6 months ago that was true, but not now.

dmicek

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2003
Yes .. I agree for a apples to apples comparision should have the Intel using the PC1066.

And in doing fairly extensive pricing.. these two systems come out very closely price wise.

I won't be doing extensive overclocking.. just playing with it a bit. So high performance gaming and stability are my top priorities. From several test I've seen it appears the Athlon will win on performance at this level.

Also.. I like that the ASUS board supports AGP 8x because I'm going to be getting a GeForce FX w/AGP8x.. so I would squeeze out a little more performace there.

cagemusic

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2002
I am not really a P4 fan boy. (so don't slam me) I am just curious why everyone on this forum says AMDs are faster when many of the tests I see point to the P4. Are the nForce boards the difference maker?

dmicek

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2003
Thanks Wusy.. I agree with you.. from what I've read the OCZ EL memory beats the corsair on the AMD system.

But why the motherboard change on the P4 system?