desktop colors

Somehow I have managed to hose my color options for ALL of my applications
and desktop. I have tried reinstalling XP Pro to see if the default would
return. It did not. Any ideas?
7 answers Last reply
More about desktop colors

    What was it that you were doing to do this?

    "SCVolman" wrote:

    > Somehow I have managed to hose my color options for ALL of my applications
    > and desktop. I have tried reinstalling XP Pro to see if the default would
    > return. It did not. Any ideas?

    Well, I upgraded home to pro about 4 weeks ago. All was well. Yesterday I
    logged off for the first time in about 3 weeks and forgot my login password.
    I had made the start-up disks, so I used those to boot up to an admin screen.
    I was able to get into MSC and reset my password. Then rebooted and was
    able to login without a problem. Except for my desktop colors being all
    weird. I have tried changing the settings at display properties, updating my
    video driver and even reinstalling xp pro.

    "L391" wrote:

    > What was it that you were doing to do this?
    >
    > "SCVolman" wrote:
    >
    > > Somehow I have managed to hose my color options for ALL of my applications
    > > and desktop. I have tried reinstalling XP Pro to see if the default would
    > > return. It did not. Any ideas?

    SC,
    Sounds like when we take are car to the shop; "goes in with one problem, get
    a call and it has a new problem"
    I would say that it lies in your monitor being defective or needs attention,
    you might try checking your cable going to the computer and why your at it
    take a few minutes if you have the ability to do so and remove the case cover
    from the monitor and gently give it a good vaccuuming out, DO NOT use a air
    compressor as it will blow in moisture from the tank of the compressor. You
    can buy cans of Air at your local Wal-Mart or Office supply store.
    Monitors have a high magnetic field which draws dust which in turns lies on
    your circuit board and makes a small disturbance...

    Regards,
    L391

    "SCVolman" wrote:

    > Well, I upgraded home to pro about 4 weeks ago. All was well. Yesterday I
    > logged off for the first time in about 3 weeks and forgot my login password.
    > I had made the start-up disks, so I used those to boot up to an admin screen.
    > I was able to get into MSC and reset my password. Then rebooted and was
    > able to login without a problem. Except for my desktop colors being all
    > weird. I have tried changing the settings at display properties, updating my
    > video driver and even reinstalling xp pro.
    >
    > "L391" wrote:
    >
    > > What was it that you were doing to do this?
    > >
    > > "SCVolman" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Somehow I have managed to hose my color options for ALL of my applications
    > > > and desktop. I have tried reinstalling XP Pro to see if the default would
    > > > return. It did not. Any ideas?

    A few checks for 'weird colors', not necessarily in the following order:

    1. if only colors are 'weird,' check Color Scheme
    Display/Properties/Appearence to be "Default (blue)." Just change the
    Default/Apply and then switch it back.
    2. change the XP Theme in Display Properties then change it back.
    3. check the *monitor* drivers, supported screen refresh rate etc. Try
    minimal settings - w/out hardware acceleration etc.
    4. log in as Administrator and see if the problem persists.
    5 reinstall clean/clean - wipe the partition or drive - since XP finds and
    applies some of the previous settings.
    Michael

    A clean/clean XP reinstall implies wiping the partition/drive clean -
    otherwise, XP saves some of the previous settings.
    "SCVolman" <SCVolman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Well, I upgraded home to pro about 4 weeks ago. All was well. Yesterday
    > logged off for the first time in about 3 weeks and forgot my login
    > password.
    > I had made the start-up disks, so I used those to boot up to an admin
    > screen.
    > I was able to get into MSC and reset my password. Then rebooted and was
    > able to login without a problem. Except for my desktop colors being all
    > weird. I have tried changing the settings at display properties, updating
    > my
    > video driver and even reinstalling xp pro.
    >
    > "L391" wrote:
    >
    >> What was it that you were doing to do this?
    >>
    >> "SCVolman" wrote:
    >>
    >> > Somehow I have managed to hose my color options for ALL of my
    >> > applications
    >> > and desktop. I have tried reinstalling XP Pro to see if the default
    >> > would
    >> > return. It did not. Any ideas?

    I am hoping a clean install would not be needed. I have data to back up
    elsewhere and don't have the time to spend doing that, or reinstalling my
    apps. My monitor is 12 months old and is a LCD envision.

    "Michael" wrote:

    > A few checks for 'weird colors', not necessarily in the following order:
    >
    > 1. if only colors are 'weird,' check Color Scheme
    > Display/Properties/Appearence to be "Default (blue)." Just change the
    > Default/Apply and then switch it back.
    > 2. change the XP Theme in Display Properties then change it back.
    > 3. check the *monitor* drivers, supported screen refresh rate etc. Try
    > minimal settings - w/out hardware acceleration etc.
    > 4. log in as Administrator and see if the problem persists.
    > 5 reinstall clean/clean - wipe the partition or drive - since XP finds and
    > applies some of the previous settings.
    > Michael
    >
    > A clean/clean XP reinstall implies wiping the partition/drive clean -
    > otherwise, XP saves some of the previous settings.
    > "SCVolman" <SCVolman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Well, I upgraded home to pro about 4 weeks ago. All was well. Yesterday
    > > logged off for the first time in about 3 weeks and forgot my login
    > > password.
    > > I had made the start-up disks, so I used those to boot up to an admin
    > > screen.
    > > I was able to get into MSC and reset my password. Then rebooted and was
    > > able to login without a problem. Except for my desktop colors being all
    > > weird. I have tried changing the settings at display properties, updating
    > > my
    > > video driver and even reinstalling xp pro.
    > >
    > > "L391" wrote:
    > >
    > >> What was it that you were doing to do this?

    SC,
    Borrow a friends Monitor for 5 minutes, You will see!

    Regards,
    L391

    "SCVolman" wrote:

    > I am hoping a clean install would not be needed. I have data to back up
    > elsewhere and don't have the time to spend doing that, or reinstalling my
    > apps. My monitor is 12 months old and is a LCD envision.
    >
    > "Michael" wrote:
    >
    > > A few checks for 'weird colors', not necessarily in the following order:
    > >
    > > 1. if only colors are 'weird,' check Color Scheme
    > > Display/Properties/Appearence to be "Default (blue)." Just change the
    > > Default/Apply and then switch it back.
    > > 2. change the XP Theme in Display Properties then change it back.
    > > 3. check the *monitor* drivers, supported screen refresh rate etc. Try
    > > minimal settings - w/out hardware acceleration etc.
    > > 4. log in as Administrator and see if the problem persists.
    > > 5 reinstall clean/clean - wipe the partition or drive - since XP finds and
    > > applies some of the previous settings.
    > > Michael
    > >
    > > A clean/clean XP reinstall implies wiping the partition/drive clean -
    > > otherwise, XP saves some of the previous settings.
    > > "SCVolman" <SCVolman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Well, I upgraded home to pro about 4 weeks ago. All was well. Yesterday
    > > > logged off for the first time in about 3 weeks and forgot my login
    > > > password.
    > > > I had made the start-up disks, so I used those to boot up to an admin
    > > > screen.
    > > > I was able to get into MSC and reset my password. Then rebooted and was
    > > > able to login without a problem. Except for my desktop colors being all
    > > > weird. I have tried changing the settings at display properties, updating
    > > > my
    > > > video driver and even reinstalling xp pro.

    Also, check if one of those "Accesibility" tools is not enabled - i.e.
    colors for people with color perception "disabilities."
    See what processes are running in Windows Task Manager for that.
    Michael

    >I am hoping a clean install would not be needed. I have data to back up
    > elsewhere and don't have the time to spend doing that, or reinstalling my
    > apps. My monitor is 12 months old and is a LCD envision.
    >
    > "Michael" wrote:
    >
    >> A few checks for 'weird colors', not necessarily in the following order:
    >>
    >> 1. if only colors are 'weird,' check Color Scheme
    >> Display/Properties/Appearence to be "Default (blue)." Just change the
    >> Default/Apply and then switch it back.
    >> 2. change the XP Theme in Display Properties then change it back.
    >> 3. check the *monitor* drivers, supported screen refresh rate etc. Try
    >> minimal settings - w/out hardware acceleration etc.
    >> 4. log in as Administrator and see if the problem persists.
    >> 5 reinstall clean/clean - wipe the partition or drive - since XP finds
    >> and
    >> applies some of the previous settings.
    >> Michael
    >>
    >> A clean/clean XP reinstall implies wiping the partition/drive clean -
    >> otherwise, XP saves some of the previous settings.
    >> "SCVolman" <SCVolman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Well, I upgraded home to pro about 4 weeks ago. All was well.
    >> > Yesterday
    >> > logged off for the first time in about 3 weeks and forgot my login
    >> > password.
    >> > I had made the start-up disks, so I used those to boot up to an admin
    >> > screen.
    >> > I was able to get into MSC and reset my password. Then rebooted and
    >> > was
    >> > able to login without a problem. Except for my desktop colors being all
    >> > weird. I have tried changing the settings at display properties,
    >> > updating
    >> > my
    >> > video driver and even reinstalling xp pro.

Desktops Microsoft Windows XP