  • Desktops
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
October 19, 2004 11:05:02 PM

Somehow I have managed to hose my color options for ALL of my applications
and desktop. I have tried reinstalling XP Pro to see if the default would
return. It did not. Any ideas?

More about : desktop colors

Anonymous
October 20, 2004 3:37:09 AM

What was it that you were doing to do this?

"SCVolman" wrote:

> Somehow I have managed to hose my color options for ALL of my applications
> and desktop. I have tried reinstalling XP Pro to see if the default would
> return. It did not. Any ideas?
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 12:39:08 PM

Well, I upgraded home to pro about 4 weeks ago. All was well. Yesterday I
logged off for the first time in about 3 weeks and forgot my login password.
I had made the start-up disks, so I used those to boot up to an admin screen.
I was able to get into MSC and reset my password. Then rebooted and was
able to login without a problem. Except for my desktop colors being all
weird. I have tried changing the settings at display properties, updating my
video driver and even reinstalling xp pro.

"L391" wrote:

> What was it that you were doing to do this?
>
> "SCVolman" wrote:
>
> > Somehow I have managed to hose my color options for ALL of my applications
> > and desktop. I have tried reinstalling XP Pro to see if the default would
> > return. It did not. Any ideas?
October 20, 2004 1:27:01 PM

SC,
Sounds like when we take are car to the shop; "goes in with one problem, get
a call and it has a new problem"
I would say that it lies in your monitor being defective or needs attention,
you might try checking your cable going to the computer and why your at it
take a few minutes if you have the ability to do so and remove the case cover
from the monitor and gently give it a good vaccuuming out, DO NOT use a air
compressor as it will blow in moisture from the tank of the compressor. You
can buy cans of Air at your local Wal-Mart or Office supply store.
Monitors have a high magnetic field which draws dust which in turns lies on
your circuit board and makes a small disturbance...

Regards,
L391

"SCVolman" wrote:

> Well, I upgraded home to pro about 4 weeks ago. All was well. Yesterday I
> logged off for the first time in about 3 weeks and forgot my login password.
> I had made the start-up disks, so I used those to boot up to an admin screen.
> I was able to get into MSC and reset my password. Then rebooted and was
> able to login without a problem. Except for my desktop colors being all
> weird. I have tried changing the settings at display properties, updating my
> video driver and even reinstalling xp pro.
>
> "L391" wrote:
>
> > What was it that you were doing to do this?
> >
> > "SCVolman" wrote:
> >
> > > Somehow I have managed to hose my color options for ALL of my applications
> > > and desktop. I have tried reinstalling XP Pro to see if the default would
> > > return. It did not. Any ideas?
October 20, 2004 4:46:57 PM

A few checks for 'weird colors', not necessarily in the following order:

1. if only colors are 'weird,' check Color Scheme
Display/Properties/Appearence to be "Default (blue)." Just change the
Default/Apply and then switch it back.
2. change the XP Theme in Display Properties then change it back.
3. check the *monitor* drivers, supported screen refresh rate etc. Try
minimal settings - w/out hardware acceleration etc.
4. log in as Administrator and see if the problem persists.
5 reinstall clean/clean - wipe the partition or drive - since XP finds and
applies some of the previous settings.
Michael

A clean/clean XP reinstall implies wiping the partition/drive clean -
otherwise, XP saves some of the previous settings.
"SCVolman" <SCVolman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Well, I upgraded home to pro about 4 weeks ago. All was well. Yesterday
> logged off for the first time in about 3 weeks and forgot my login
> password.
> I had made the start-up disks, so I used those to boot up to an admin
> screen.
> I was able to get into MSC and reset my password. Then rebooted and was
> able to login without a problem. Except for my desktop colors being all
> weird. I have tried changing the settings at display properties, updating
> my
> video driver and even reinstalling xp pro.
>
> "L391" wrote:
>
>> What was it that you were doing to do this?
>>
>> "SCVolman" wrote:
>>
>> > Somehow I have managed to hose my color options for ALL of my
>> > applications
>> > and desktop. I have tried reinstalling XP Pro to see if the default
>> > would
>> > return. It did not. Any ideas?
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 4:46:58 PM

I am hoping a clean install would not be needed. I have data to back up
elsewhere and don't have the time to spend doing that, or reinstalling my
apps. My monitor is 12 months old and is a LCD envision.

"Michael" wrote:

> A few checks for 'weird colors', not necessarily in the following order:
>
> 1. if only colors are 'weird,' check Color Scheme
> Display/Properties/Appearence to be "Default (blue)." Just change the
> Default/Apply and then switch it back.
> 2. change the XP Theme in Display Properties then change it back.
> 3. check the *monitor* drivers, supported screen refresh rate etc. Try
> minimal settings - w/out hardware acceleration etc.
> 4. log in as Administrator and see if the problem persists.
> 5 reinstall clean/clean - wipe the partition or drive - since XP finds and
> applies some of the previous settings.
> Michael
>
> A clean/clean XP reinstall implies wiping the partition/drive clean -
> otherwise, XP saves some of the previous settings.
> "SCVolman" <SCVolman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Well, I upgraded home to pro about 4 weeks ago. All was well. Yesterday
> > logged off for the first time in about 3 weeks and forgot my login
> > password.
> > I had made the start-up disks, so I used those to boot up to an admin
> > screen.
> > I was able to get into MSC and reset my password. Then rebooted and was
> > able to login without a problem. Except for my desktop colors being all
> > weird. I have tried changing the settings at display properties, updating
> > my
> > video driver and even reinstalling xp pro.
> >
> > "L391" wrote:
> >
> >> What was it that you were doing to do this?

Anonymous
October 20, 2004 4:46:59 PM

SC,
Borrow a friends Monitor for 5 minutes, You will see!

Regards,
L391

"SCVolman" wrote:

> I am hoping a clean install would not be needed. I have data to back up
> elsewhere and don't have the time to spend doing that, or reinstalling my
> apps. My monitor is 12 months old and is a LCD envision.
>
> "Michael" wrote:
>
> > A few checks for 'weird colors', not necessarily in the following order:
> >
> > 1. if only colors are 'weird,' check Color Scheme
> > Display/Properties/Appearence to be "Default (blue)." Just change the
> > Default/Apply and then switch it back.
> > 2. change the XP Theme in Display Properties then change it back.
> > 3. check the *monitor* drivers, supported screen refresh rate etc. Try
> > minimal settings - w/out hardware acceleration etc.
> > 4. log in as Administrator and see if the problem persists.
> > 5 reinstall clean/clean - wipe the partition or drive - since XP finds and
> > applies some of the previous settings.
> > Michael
> >
> > A clean/clean XP reinstall implies wiping the partition/drive clean -
> > otherwise, XP saves some of the previous settings.
> > "SCVolman" <SCVolman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Well, I upgraded home to pro about 4 weeks ago. All was well. Yesterday
> > > logged off for the first time in about 3 weeks and forgot my login
> > > password.
> > > I had made the start-up disks, so I used those to boot up to an admin
> > > screen.
> > > I was able to get into MSC and reset my password. Then rebooted and was
> > > able to login without a problem. Except for my desktop colors being all
> > > weird. I have tried changing the settings at display properties, updating
> > > my
> > > video driver and even reinstalling xp pro.

October 20, 2004 8:06:19 PM

Also, check if one of those "Accesibility" tools is not enabled - i.e.
colors for people with color perception "disabilities."
See what processes are running in Windows Task Manager for that.
Michael

!