Help! My ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard Does Not Wo

JonathanF

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001
I just received fron Newegg my ASUS A7N8X Motherboard with the Revision 1001.G BIOS, an AMD Athlon 2800+ CPU, and an AMD approved TAISOL CPU Heatsink and FAN.

I also have two sticks of Kingston HyperX PC 3500 DDR RAM which I installed in the Memory Slots 1 and 3.

The Computer booted up the first time, but I noticed that the CPU registered at around a 1350 GHZ CPU.

I then went into the Motherboard's BIOS and changed the CPU External Frequency from the Default 100 MHZ to 133 MHZ, and I then rebooted the Computer.

The Computer now refuses to boot up now although I get power, but I have no Video.

I cannot get to the Motherboard's BIOS Setup Screen to change any of the BIOS Settings.

I tried to reset the Motherboard's BIOS by first turning off the Computer, unplugged the Power Cord, removed the CMOS Battery, moved the "CLRTC1" Jumper from "1-2" to "2-3".

I then waited a few minutes and placed the "CLRTC1" Jumper Back to "1-2".
I reinstalled the CMOS Battery, I plugged the Power Cord back in, and I restarted the Computer.

I tried this Procedure many times and the Computer powers up, but I still have no Video so I cannot get to the CMOS Setup Screen.

I even removed the Kingston PC 3500 DDR RAM, and I inserted my old Kingston PC 2100 DDR RAM, but the procedure still will not work, and I still have no Video and cannot get to the BIOS Setup Screen.

What can I do now?

Jonathan

Jonathan

I would use the cmos jumper or the battery removal, not both at the same time. I would reseat the video card. You got video once, so you know the card works. Your bios should clear with the power supply unplugged using the cmos jumper only. If you get it to post, stop and check out the manual. If necessary, I would leave it at 100 until you get a chance to see what problems others may be having with your video card or memory. I would suspect your memory setting may have been too high. You can also try bumping your memory voltage up to 2.6 or 2.7. Good luck.

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I agree with the other poster, clear the CMOS and then reboot. When it reboots, enter the BIOS and select the option for "setup defaults". That should get you running normally and then you can go in later and tweak any settings you want to.

Sometimes if you tweak a BIOS setting too much, it locks up like this and you have to clear the CMOS. It's not a big deal really!

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

lichocpu

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2001
there is also something else: If you got an XP 2800+, doesn't that cpu use the 166 (333DDR) bus? if so, you would need to use 166 instead of 133 for the system bus.

Or not?