CRT Monitor for FPS

I'm looking into getting a new CRT monitor sometime and I want something very good but won't cost me 400 bucks. I'm looking for at least 19" and 1280x1024 and a refresh rate of at least 85 Hz but preferably higher if possible.

Are my standards too high? Is this going to be something that's hard to find?

The reason I want 19" and 1280x1024 is because that's what I currently have in an LCD but I want the higher refresh rate.

kthx!
17 answers Last reply
More about monitor
  1. Good luck finding a CRT in this day and age.

Pretty much no-one manufactures them anymore. Everything is LCD now.
  2. Buy an lcd and glue a large heavy box on the back for that crt feel! As infornogra phy42 said, a crt may be hard to find these days (second hand shops maybe)...
  3. I saw some of the Samsung ones on their website but I don't know if they meet my needs. The range of vertical refresh rate doesn't tell me what it would be when I set it to 1280x1024
  4. Last CRT I got was a 17" that ran up to 1600x1200 and it did 85 hz at 1600, but they may have stopped making high refresh monitors due to lack of gaming audience demand. Personally I dislike them because they're heavy, often look tacky and they get damaged by things like phones, batteries and anything electronic you forget to take off your desk.
  5. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824002090

Just one on newegg that looked ok. 21", 120hz for 299 dollars.
  6. How do they get damaged? If I left my cellphone, house phone, speakers, flash drive, TV remote, CD player, Guitar tuner on the desk, which of those would damage it and how badly?
  7. Anything that has a noticable magnetic field can damage a CRT screen. It will leave bruises. Weak magnetic fields will be faint to unnoticable. If you want to see what a stronger one does, take apart a hard drive. Remove the magnets (you will know them when you find them). Find a CRT you don't care about, put the magnet close the screen and move it around.

Have fun.
  8. It messes up the colour completely, they look like a ripple of water with crazy colours in the middle.
  9. The cell phone would definitely damage it but the others would probably be fine.
  10. why do you want a higher refresh rate? why do you need it? LCDs refresh is different to a CRT, a LCD only refreshes pixels that have changed whereas a CRT constantly refreshes the whole screen.

also a LCD is so much better for your eyes.
  11. infornography42 said:
    Anything that has a noticable magnetic field can damage a CRT screen. It will leave bruises. Weak magnetic fields will be faint to unnoticable. If you want to see what a stronger one does, take apart a hard drive. Remove the magnets (you will know them when you find them). Find a CRT you don't care about, put the magnet close the screen and move it around.

Have fun.

when i first got a 5.1 system my subwoofer had to be moved miles outta the way cause it would cause my crt to go funny.
  12. Yea, an LCD doesn't need as high a refresh rate to get a similar result as a CRT does. I'm a die hard FPS gamer and I held onto my old 22" CRT, all 65 lbs worth, until it fizzled on me about 2 months ago. I've since got a very nice LCD Samsung 22" widescreen and I couldn't be happier. The detail is so crisp over my CRT for games like UT3, Crysis, and COD4. If you still want a CRT though they do have them on New Egg, but only up to 19" if I remember correctly. Good luck!
  13. crom said:
    all 65 lbs worth

I like lcd's. At least they don't break your back when you pick them up.
  14. I had an old 37" CRT that did a bit over 1024x768. That beast took two people to pick it up and it was still a back breaker. Never weighed it. Eventually the blue died on it and I couldn't get it repaired for any reasonable amount of money so that was the end of that.
  15. infornography42 said:
    I had an old 37" CRT that did a bit over 1024x768. That beast took two people to pick it up and it was still a back breaker. Never weighed it. Eventually the blue died on it and I couldn't get it repaired for any reasonable amount of money so that was the end of that.

You should have donated it to your local gym...

Edit: I replied to your P.M.
  16. If I had donated it to a gym they would have considered it cruel and unusual punishment for misbehaving members ;-)
  17. Craigslist bro! You can get super high end ones from people who are ready to throw them out, but I'm with others who prefer LCDs for gaming. The only thing I think CRTs do considerably better at is movie playback, which isn't so pronounced if you have high def files.
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming CRT Monitors FPS Video Games Product