Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • CRT Monitors
  • FPS
  • Video Games
  • Product
Last response: in Video Games
June 1, 2008 8:45:44 AM

I'm looking into getting a new CRT monitor sometime and I want something very good but won't cost me 400 bucks. I'm looking for at least 19" and 1280x1024 and a refresh rate of at least 85 Hz but preferably higher if possible.

Are my standards too high? Is this going to be something that's hard to find?

The reason I want 19" and 1280x1024 is because that's what I currently have in an LCD but I want the higher refresh rate.

kthx!

More about : crt monitor fps

June 1, 2008 11:23:37 AM

Good luck finding a CRT in this day and age.

Pretty much no-one manufactures them anymore. Everything is LCD now.
June 1, 2008 12:42:30 PM

Buy an lcd and glue a large heavy box on the back for that crt feel! As infornogra phy42 said, a crt may be hard to find these days (second hand shops maybe)...
Related resources
June 1, 2008 4:10:39 PM

I saw some of the Samsung ones on their website but I don't know if they meet my needs. The range of vertical refresh rate doesn't tell me what it would be when I set it to 1280x1024
June 1, 2008 6:12:38 PM

Last CRT I got was a 17" that ran up to 1600x1200 and it did 85 hz at 1600, but they may have stopped making high refresh monitors due to lack of gaming audience demand. Personally I dislike them because they're heavy, often look tacky and they get damaged by things like phones, batteries and anything electronic you forget to take off your desk.
June 1, 2008 8:27:49 PM

How do they get damaged? If I left my cellphone, house phone, speakers, flash drive, TV remote, CD player, Guitar tuner on the desk, which of those would damage it and how badly?
June 1, 2008 9:31:54 PM

Anything that has a noticable magnetic field can damage a CRT screen. It will leave bruises. Weak magnetic fields will be faint to unnoticable. If you want to see what a stronger one does, take apart a hard drive. Remove the magnets (you will know them when you find them). Find a CRT you don't care about, put the magnet close the screen and move it around.

Have fun.
June 1, 2008 10:21:29 PM

It messes up the colour completely, they look like a ripple of water with crazy colours in the middle.
June 1, 2008 10:22:02 PM

The cell phone would definitely damage it but the others would probably be fine.
June 2, 2008 3:27:19 PM

why do you want a higher refresh rate? why do you need it? LCDs refresh is different to a CRT, a LCD only refreshes pixels that have changed whereas a CRT constantly refreshes the whole screen.

also a LCD is so much better for your eyes.
June 2, 2008 3:29:58 PM

infornography42 said:
Anything that has a noticable magnetic field can damage a CRT screen. It will leave bruises. Weak magnetic fields will be faint to unnoticable. If you want to see what a stronger one does, take apart a hard drive. Remove the magnets (you will know them when you find them). Find a CRT you don't care about, put the magnet close the screen and move it around.

Have fun.

when i first got a 5.1 system my subwoofer had to be moved miles outta the way cause it would cause my crt to go funny.
June 2, 2008 3:51:20 PM

Yea, an LCD doesn't need as high a refresh rate to get a similar result as a CRT does. I'm a die hard FPS gamer and I held onto my old 22" CRT, all 65 lbs worth, until it fizzled on me about 2 months ago. I've since got a very nice LCD Samsung 22" widescreen and I couldn't be happier. The detail is so crisp over my CRT for games like UT3, Crysis, and COD4. If you still want a CRT though they do have them on New Egg, but only up to 19" if I remember correctly. Good luck!
June 2, 2008 3:57:44 PM

crom said:
all 65 lbs worth

I like lcd's. At least they don't break your back when you pick them up.
June 2, 2008 4:43:23 PM

I had an old 37" CRT that did a bit over 1024x768. That beast took two people to pick it up and it was still a back breaker. Never weighed it. Eventually the blue died on it and I couldn't get it repaired for any reasonable amount of money so that was the end of that.
June 2, 2008 5:12:17 PM

infornography42 said:
I had an old 37" CRT that did a bit over 1024x768. That beast took two people to pick it up and it was still a back breaker. Never weighed it. Eventually the blue died on it and I couldn't get it repaired for any reasonable amount of money so that was the end of that.

You should have donated it to your local gym...

Edit: I replied to your P.M.
June 2, 2008 7:50:37 PM

If I had donated it to a gym they would have considered it cruel and unusual punishment for misbehaving members ;-)
June 3, 2008 12:24:38 AM

Craigslist bro! You can get super high end ones from people who are ready to throw them out, but I'm with others who prefer LCDs for gaming. The only thing I think CRTs do considerably better at is movie playback, which isn't so pronounced if you have high def files.
!