error after update

October 20, 2004 9:31:06 AM

I have a user that has told me he download some windows update on his new xp
computer. when he rebooted he got this error "The procedure entry point
SHCreateThreadRef could not be located in the dynamic link library
SHLWAPl.dll."
If you click it off you get the wallpaper but no icons.

has any one see this one befor.

Joe

More about : error update

Anonymous
October 20, 2004 11:27:08 AM

Joe,
You might want to check this out,
http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?shlwa...
And if this problem has just developed try going back with "System Restore"
to a time that all was well, and try your Download once again...
Start / All Programs / Accessories / System Tools - Restore
Be sure that your Virus Definitions get updated after this restore and check
into Windows Update site!

Regards,
L391

"Joe Covay" wrote:

> I have a user that has told me he download some windows update on his new xp
> computer. when he rebooted he got this error "The procedure entry point
> SHCreateThreadRef could not be located in the dynamic link library
> SHLWAPl.dll."
> If you click it off you get the wallpaper but no icons.
>
> has any one see this one befor.
>
> Joe
October 21, 2004 1:49:02 AM

Hi L391
I too have the same/similar problem - same dll But no entry point for
AssocGetPerceivedType.
You mention to try a system restore, but how do I get to it if there are no
icons.
Thanks
Geoff

"L391" wrote:

> Joe,
> You might want to check this out,
> http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?shlwa...
> And if this problem has just developed try going back with "System Restore"
> to a time that all was well, and try your Download once again...
> Start / All Programs / Accessories / System Tools - Restore
> Be sure that your Virus Definitions get updated after this restore and check
> into Windows Update site!
>
> Regards,
> L391
>
> "Joe Covay" wrote:
>
> > I have a user that has told me he download some windows update on his new xp
> > computer. when he rebooted he got this error "The procedure entry point
> > SHCreateThreadRef could not be located in the dynamic link library
> > SHLWAPl.dll."
> > If you click it off you get the wallpaper but no icons.
> >
> > has any one see this one befor.
> >
> > Joe
October 21, 2004 2:41:03 AM

geoff,
Do you have a system's Boot-Disk for your system?
If so install it and run the repair task!
Are you running Windows Xp Pro?
Let me know?
"Always be aware of, and ward off the Demon from within"
Regards,
L391

"geoff" wrote:

> Hi L391
> I too have the same/similar problem - same dll But no entry point for
> AssocGetPerceivedType.
> You mention to try a system restore, but how do I get to it if there are no
> icons.
> Thanks
> Geoff
>
> "L391" wrote:
>
> > Joe,
> > You might want to check this out,
> > http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?shlwa...
> > And if this problem has just developed try going back with "System Restore"
> > to a time that all was well, and try your Download once again...
> > Start / All Programs / Accessories / System Tools - Restore
> > Be sure that your Virus Definitions get updated after this restore and check
> > into Windows Update site!
> >
> > Regards,
> > L391
> >
> > "Joe Covay" wrote:
> >
> > > I have a user that has told me he download some windows update on his new xp
> > > computer. when he rebooted he got this error "The procedure entry point
> > > SHCreateThreadRef could not be located in the dynamic link library
> > > SHLWAPl.dll."
> > > If you click it off you get the wallpaper but no icons.
> > >
> > > has any one see this one befor.
> > >
> > > Joe
Anonymous
October 21, 2004 2:49:09 AM

geoff,
Last minute thought's as to what you said about No Icons, could you tell me
a little more of what you meant by that?
Are you saying that your Start Bar is not showing?

Regards,
L391

"L391" wrote:

> geoff,
> Do you have a system's Boot-Disk for your system?
> If so install it and run the repair task!
> Are you running Windows Xp Pro?
> Let me know?
> "Always be aware of, and ward off the Demon from within"
> Regards,
> L391
>
> "geoff" wrote:
>
> > Hi L391
> > I too have the same/similar problem - same dll But no entry point for
> > AssocGetPerceivedType.
> > You mention to try a system restore, but how do I get to it if there are no
> > icons.
> > Thanks
> > Geoff
> >
> > "L391" wrote:
> >
> > > Joe,
> > > You might want to check this out,
> > > http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?shlwa...
> > > And if this problem has just developed try going back with "System Restore"
> > > to a time that all was well, and try your Download once again...
> > > Start / All Programs / Accessories / System Tools - Restore
> > > Be sure that your Virus Definitions get updated after this restore and check
> > > into Windows Update site!
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > L391

October 21, 2004 8:53:04 PM

Hi again L391

Sorry I have not back quicker, I'm writing this from work (as my pc
obviously doesn't work) and I think our time zone is way out from where you
might be (I'm in Australia), But i really appreciate your help/concern. Thank
you.

This is what I have/don't have and what I have tried to do to fix.
I have XP Pro with SP2 with current updates until the last update messed
everything up.

I do not have a system boot disk. (although I think there is one on the XP
disc - more on this below no. 12)

Sorry this is a bit long but thought i would try and cover all basis.

1. On turning on Pc it will show the log in screen.

2. When logging in to any user (no passwords on any user) and we are all
administrators, the message mentioned above appears ("explorer.exe-entry
point not found...SHLWAPI.dll").

3. On clicking ok to the message only a blank desktop appears.

4. There are no icons, no taskbar, no start button - nothing.

5. I have put the XP Pro disk in, turned PC off and back on so to get into
safe mode.

6. A number of options appear eg. safe mode or safe mode with command
prompt, debugging mode etc etc)

7. I tried the safe mode - up came the log in screen with all users PLUS an
Administrators log in.

8. I tried the Administartor log in but it required a password. No passwaord
I tried worked (old passwords we use to have or just blank). Logging into a
user took me to a black screen with the words safe mode but nothing happened
just a black screen.

9. I tried other options and nothing happened except for Safe Mode with
command prompt. But I didn't know what to put in so left it.

10. But I did work out how to get to my files.

11. I logged in as usual, got the no entry point message and got the blank
screen. I then Ctrl-Alt-Del and up came the Task Mgr.

12. I was able to see files etc. This is where I can see a boot disk on the
XP disc via exploring - I didn't touch it/try it just in case. So I don't if
I can make a boot disk from this position I am in.

13. I thought I could try a system restore as could see this too. But once
in this I received a blank white screen.

14. I'm now at the conclusion that all I might be able to do is reformat. I
put XP Pro over Win98se, so presume I'll have to reformat with the win98se
boot disk and put xp on again etc.

Again,I appreciate you having some thought into this.

Geoff

"L391" wrote:

> geoff,
> Last minute thought's as to what you said about No Icons, could you tell me
> a little more of what you meant by that?
> Are you saying that your Start Bar is not showing?
>
> Regards,
> L391
>
> "L391" wrote:
>
> > geoff,
> > Do you have a system's Boot-Disk for your system?
> > If so install it and run the repair task!
> > Are you running Windows Xp Pro?
> > Let me know?
> > "Always be aware of, and ward off the Demon from within"
> > Regards,
> > L391
> >
> > "geoff" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi L391
> > > I too have the same/similar problem - same dll But no entry point for
> > > AssocGetPerceivedType.
> > > You mention to try a system restore, but how do I get to it if there are no
> > > icons.
> > > Thanks
> > > Geoff

Anonymous
October 22, 2004 1:45:05 AM

Geoff,
Well I personally would recommend a overhaul (Re-Format/Re-Install) The only
draw back to this is if you have critical information on your system, You are
going to loose it all during this process, unless you know you can back it up
to a CD-R/W...
If this is not a factor grab your Windows Xp disk;
1. Disconnect from Internet and disconnect your printer/scanners ect. all
you need at this point is Keyboard-Mouse-Monitor.
and insert CD and go through the Install procedure as normal, Be sure to
FORMAT your Hard Drive which will be asked...Once you do this and all seems
stable "No Error Messages" procede to reconnect to the internet and go to
Windows Update (and only windows update site) and get "all" available
updates, Do this a few times by going back and checking in with Windows
Update, Sometimes they do not come all at once and you will have to Re-Start
your system several times until you have them all...
These are a must to Follow up with next!
2. When all updates are in house get your "PROTECTION UP"
firewall/anti-virus/adaware/spyware, Be sure they to all have current updates
and definitions (run 2-3 times)
3. At this point you can reconnect your printer/scanner/ect
4. You should now be ready for your favorite programs/applications...

"Always be aware of, and ward off the occurrence from within"

Regards,
L391

"geoff" wrote:

> [...]
> put XP Pro over Win98se, so presume I'll have to reformat with the win98se
> boot disk and put xp on again etc.
>
> Again,I appreciate you having some thought into this.
>
> Geoff
>
> "L391" wrote:
>
> > geoff,
> > Last minute thought's as to what you said about No Icons, could you tell me
> > a little more of what you meant by that?
> > Are you saying that your Start Bar is not showing?
> >
> > Regards,
> > L391
> >
> > "L391" wrote:
> >
> > > geoff,
> > > Do you have a system's Boot-Disk for your system?
> > > If so install it and run the repair task!
> > > Are you running Windows Xp Pro?
> > > Let me know?
> > > "Always be aware of, and ward off the Demon from within"

October 22, 2004 2:03:02 AM

L391
I thought it might come down to what you suggested. (had nothing else to do
on the weekend).
Previously, you mentioned about a boot disk. I found downloadable xp pro
sp2 boot disk at www.bootdisk.com.
Presumeably it is designed to boot up the pc.
Do you think it is worth a go?
Of course if it doesn't work, I'm no worse off.
Geoff

"L391" wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > 12. I was able to see files etc. This is where I can see a boot disk on the
> > XP disc via exploring - I didn't touch it/try it just in case. So I don't if
> > I can make a boot disk from this position I am in.
> >
> > 13. I thought I could try a system restore as could see this too. But once
> > in this I received a blank white screen.
> >
> > 14. I'm now at the conclusion that all I might be able to do is reformat. I
> > put XP Pro over Win98se, so presume I'll have to reformat with the win98se
> > boot disk and put xp on again etc.
> >
> > Again,I appreciate you having some thought into this.
> >
> > Geoff
> >
> > "L391" wrote:
> >
> > > geoff,
> > > Last minute thought's as to what you said about No Icons, could you tell me
> > > a little more of what you meant by that?
> > > Are you saying that your Start Bar is not showing?

Anonymous
October 22, 2004 7:07:02 AM

Hey Geoff,
If you tried your original Windows Install Disk it is better then a boot
disk, and if it did not repair the problem, Your at the end of the highway!
By the way yes I'm around the world from you I'm in the U.S. on the Upper
Pacific Northwest...
Hang in there Geoff!

Regards,
L391