advice needed re DVD rewriter

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.cdr,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Im looking to buy a DVD rewriter to replace my cd rewriter. My question is
'does one size fit all'? i.e if i go into PC world will any dvd rw on the
shelf fit into my tower?
It says 'justlink' on my cd rw if thats any help to which DVD rw will fit.

Sorry if its a daft question but im a new user!

Any help appreciated.
8 answers Last reply
More about advice needed rewriter
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.cdr,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Andy wrote:

    > Im looking to buy a DVD rewriter to replace my cd rewriter. My question is
    > 'does one size fit all'? i.e if i go into PC world will any dvd rw on the
    > shelf fit into my tower?
    > It says 'justlink' on my cd rw if thats any help to which DVD rw will fit.
    >
    > Sorry if its a daft question but im a new user!
    >
    > Any help appreciated.

    Justlink as far as I know is something to do with buffer underrun and
    not the physical size of the kit. I think barring external drives the
    rest are one size fits all ... don't know about laptops though :O)

    --
    Paul (No movement, no colours, Just silence)
    Stop and Look

    Andy,
    Yes you will be able to install it just fine in your case, in my experience
    with building computers sometimes Compaq can through you for a loop...
    Is yours custom built tower or a Name brand?
    ie: Dell / Compaq / HP
    Most all Drive Bays are the same in size it's just the mounting holes that
    can be a little creative...
    You mentioned removing your CD drive, is your new DVD going to be a
    DVD-RW/CDRW ?

    Regards,
    L391

    "Andy" wrote:

    > Im looking to buy a DVD rewriter to replace my cd rewriter. My question is
    > 'does one size fit all'? i.e if i go into PC world will any dvd rw on the
    > shelf fit into my tower?
    > It says 'justlink' on my cd rw if thats any help to which DVD rw will fit.
    >
    > Sorry if its a daft question but im a new user!
    >
    > Any help appreciated.

  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.cdr,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Check the specs of the drive. Form Factor should be 5.25" H(eight)= 1 or
    lower (1/2). Of course, all internal DVD drives should fit in an empty 5.25"
    bay.
    JustLink is a technology (by Ricoh) to prevent 'buffer underwrite errors' -
    i.e. make sure the recording on media is not corrupted. But most if not all
    CD/DVD RW's employ a similar technology. JustLink has no connection with the
    Form Factor (physical dimensions) of your DVD RW.
    Make sure you get R+, R-, Dual Layer and the highest speed you can afford to
    pay for. Check what software comes with the driver as well - Nero's better
    than Roxio, at least for me.
    Michael

    "Andy" <andy@east08575.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Im looking to buy a DVD rewriter to replace my cd rewriter. My question is
    > 'does one size fit all'? i.e if i go into PC world will any dvd rw on the
    > shelf fit into my tower?
    > It says 'justlink' on my cd rw if thats any help to which DVD rw will fit.
    >
    > Sorry if its a daft question but im a new user!
    >
    > Any help appreciated.

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.cdr,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    DVD writers are all the same size, as long as they are "internal" writers.
    Any of them will fit. Highly recommend getting either the Pioneer 108 model
    or the NEC 3500. NewEgg.com has the NEC on sale right now for $68, but it
    will be a bare OEM drive with no software. If you want software, you can
    spend $76 and get this one:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-152-034&depa=0

    Chances are that your current software will not work with a new burner. If
    you prefer retail, the NEC is available in several different packages.
    MadDog and TDK 16x burners should be NEC. The Pioneer is fairly easy to find
    too, NewEgg also has them..

    Andy wrote:

> [...]

    It means will it be able to burn CD's as well as DVD's.
    Joan
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.cdr,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Andy wrote:

    > Im looking to buy a DVD rewriter to replace my cd rewriter. My question is
    > 'does one size fit all'? i.e if i go into PC world will any dvd rw on the
    > shelf fit into my tower?
    > It says 'justlink' on my cd rw if thats any help to which DVD rw will fit.
    >
    > Sorry if its a daft question but im a new user!
    >
    > Any help appreciated.

    When you go to PC World remember that the going rate for a DVD writer in
    the UK is around 50 pounds. If you want value for money it might be
    worth finding a proper computer retailer near you.

    Cheers.

    James.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.cdr,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    James Perrett wrote:

    > Andy wrote:
    > >
    > > Im looking to buy a DVD rewriter to replace my cd rewriter. My question is
    > > 'does one size fit all'? i.e if i go into PC world will any dvd rw on the
    > > shelf fit into my tower?
    > > It says 'justlink' on my cd rw if thats any help to which DVD rw will fit.
    > >
    > > Sorry if its a daft question but im a new user!
    > >
    > > Any help appreciated.
    >
    > When you go to PC World remember that the going rate for a DVD writer in
    > the UK is around 50 pounds. If you want value for money it might be
    > worth finding a proper computer retailer near you.
    >
    > Cheers.
    >
    > James.

    There are definitely some huge discrepancies in price depending on
    retailer. The only good thing about buying local is the ease of return
    if the goods are dodgy.
    --
    Paul (No movement, no colours, Just silence)
    Stop and Look
    http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

DVD CD-Rom DVD RW Windows XP