ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard Will Not Boot Now!

JonathanF

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001
I just received fron Newegg my ASUS A7N8X Motherboard with the Revision 1001.G BIOS, an AMD Athlon 2800+ CPU, and an AMD approved Tailsol CPU Heatsink and FAN.

The Taisol CPU Heatsink and Fan are approved on the AMD Website for Athlon CPUs up to 2700+.

I also have two sticks of Kingston HyperX PC 3500 DDR RAM which I installed in the Memory Slots 1 and 3.

The Computer booted up the first time, but I noticed that the CPU registered at around a 1350 GHZ CPU.

I then went into the Motherboard's BIOS and changed the CPU External Frequency from the Default 100 MHZ to 133 MHZ, and I then rebooted the Computer.

I was going one step at a time with the CPU External Frequency from 100 to 133, and then hopefully to 166.

The Computer now refuses to boot up now although I get power, but I have no Video, and no Keyboard indicator lights.

I get no Beeps or any Sounds of any kind, but I do have power.

I cannot get to the Motherboard's BIOS Setup Screen to change any of the BIOS Settings.

I tried to reset the Motherboard's BIOS by first turning off the Computer, unplugged the Power Cord, removed the CMOS Battery, moved the "CLRTC1" Jumper from "1-2" to "2-3".

I then waited a few minutes and placed the "CLRTC1" Jumper Back to "1-2".
I reinstalled the CMOS Battery, I plugged the Power Cord back in, and I restarted the Computer.

I tried this Procedure many times and the Computer powers up, but I still have no Keyboard Response or Video so I cannot get to the CMOS Setup Screen.

I even removed the Kingston PC 3500 DDR RAM, and I inserted my old Kingston PC 2100 DDR RAM, but the procedure still will not work, and I still have no Video and cannot get to the BIOS Setup Screen.

I switched Video Cards and also reseated the CPU with no changes.

I tried booting up with no RAM or any Daughter Cards and it did not make any difference.

What can I do now?

Jonathan

Jonathan

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Actually I'm not hearing about major problems with that model board, but it is possible you got a defect.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

maxwellspeed

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
You need to clear the bios. it tells you how in the book. it gets locked. Mine did that too when i tried to push it too hard. my old via-asus would at least allow me to get back into the bios to change what i had done. anyways, take off the case and look for the little round battery down at the bottom near the sata chip. remove it..and of course touch the metal case to make sure you dont do any zapping to the components. once the batter is out, there is a little jumper next to it, that you need to move from 1-2 to 2-3, then back again. this clears the bios. definitely read the manual to see the illustrations for doing this.

phr0ze

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
Try clearing the cmos (by using the jumper) without removing the battery. Also I think asus has a special button to clear bad chip settings. I forget what it was or if they even have it anymore but it was like hold DELETE as you push the power button and keep holding. Then press f1 or whatever to go into setup.

---------------------------------------
phr0Ze