After upgrading from WIN XP SP1 to SP2 explorer.exe gets e..

October 20, 2004 5:05:03 PM

After upgrading WIN XP prof SP1 to SP2 expolrer.exe gets error in mod
shell32.dll or shlwapi.dll and other mods, then closes. Each time also get
the message "Dr. Watson post-modem debugger has encountered a problem". I
was able to restore back to SP1 but need to know what the problem is before I
try SP2 again. Can anyone help?
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 5:45:02 PM

Sally,

Hopefully, this will help in resolving the error :

You receive an "Explorer.EXE - Entry Point Not Found - The procedure
entry point SHCreateThreadRef could not be located in the dynamic
link library Shlwapi.dll" error message after you install the
MS04-038 security update
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888162

MowGreen [MVP]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Sally G wrote:

> After upgrading WIN XP prof SP1 to SP2 expolrer.exe gets error in mod
> shell32.dll or shlwapi.dll and other mods, then closes. Each time also get
> the message "Dr. Watson post-modem debugger has encountered a problem". I
> was able to restore back to SP1 but need to know what the problem is before I
> try SP2 again. Can anyone help?
Anonymous
October 21, 2004 3:35:01 AM

a bit of a known issue, per say, lots of calls on it. when you go through
888162 you wanna take note of what programs it says in the list after you hit
uninstall on sp2. some of em might not work.

!