Gaming Rig

Sharlaw

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Hey,

Just wanted some advise on a Gaming Rig, below is what I've researched to build. Just wanted to see if that looks ok or if there are any changes you'd make.

Coolermaster RC-1100 Cosmos S "Sport" Silent Full Tower Case

Asus GeForce 9800 GX2 1024MB

Coolermaster Real Power 1000w PSU

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 CPU

Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB HDD

OCZ 4GB DDR3 PC3-10666C6 1333MHz ReaperX RAM

Asus Striker II Extreme nForce 790i Ultra SLi

Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 64-Bit

Thanks in advance

mothhive

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
I'd wait on the graphics card. There will be new cards out within the next few weeks that will probably outperform the GX2, or at the very least reduce the price of it.

With the ReaperX RAM, there may be some issues if you end up buying another 4GB kit down the road as on some motherboards you will be unable to have 2 ReaperX side by side (due to the heatsinks), but apparently ASUS have large enough spacing between the slots and they can fit in without a problem, so you should be ok.

I have an XFX 790i, so I'm not sure if this is an issue with the Striker II, but I was experiencing a few lockups while gaming that appear to have been due to the 790i, but the latest Bios seems to have fixed it. Also, some people have been experiencing data corruption with 790i, so it might be worth looking into that a bit further and see if any Striker IIs have been affected and if there are any bios updates around that help.

I have the modular version of that PSU and haven't had any problems with it at all.

Not familiar with the case, but the rest sounds good! :)