Surprise! P4S8X dies after 3 months

Well Crashman, you were right. Remember how shocked you were that there actually was a P4S8X user that was "satisfied"? Well it just croaked on me. Fortunately, it waited until my LAN-partying was completed over the holidays.

Basically, I began to witness a slow death about 2 weeks ago. I began getting BSODs and weird things started happening. For example, I would click on a game shortcut and nothing would happen. I would have to reinstall the game, which would fix it temporarily before the problem would reoccur. Anyway, I get home from my 1040 mile trip and I start working on my computer. BAM I get a BSOD. I reboot and after 5 minutes get another BSOD. I go into the BIOS and load setup defaults. No boot. I hear the sexy female voice informing me that the memory is not detected. I clear the CMOS. Same thing. I switch RAM sticks with my other PC, same thing... This eliminated my Corsair memory as the problem. So I guess I have a dead P4S8X. What really sucks is that I can't send it back to newegg because I added a HSF onto the northbridge because of the supposed problem with heat.

Anyway, I thought I'd inform you so that you can add me to your list of unsatisfied P4S8X owners. Man what a POS. I never thought Asus would screw up.
11 answers Last reply
More about surprise p4s8x dies months
  1. Put the old heatsink back on and return it?

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
  2. You can even try to return it with the HSF on, Newegg rocks for customer satisfaction.

<b>"Granted I dont own a P4. But I read enough stuff and waste enough time on forums newsgroups IRC and computer news sites that I proberly know more then if I DID own a P4." -vk2amv</b>
  3. nah, it's a good vendor, i've had luck with 2 mobo's from newegg, no quirks (even Via chipsets ^^)

Instead of Rdram, why not just merge 4 Sdram channels...
  4. Not that I know of. One thing I hate is that you can't return software. I accidently bought Win98 SE instead of WinXP! How could I do such a thing? I can't believe I can't return it. What the hell am I going to do with this POS? Use it as a $91.00 coaster?
  5. You think they would go for it? Hmm...well if I could find the little plastic do-hickies that hold the original heatsink on I would replace it. You guys know where I can get those?

BTW, the board is 4 months old, so I think I have to send it back to Asus not Newegg- and I don't think Asus will be as forgiving considering they probably hate that damn motherboard more than I.
  6. Where can I get those plastic latches that hold a heatsink on? I think Newegg's policy is 14 days or a month, but I'm pretty sure they won't accept 4 months.

So I guess I have to RMA it back to Asus.
  7. OMG, you broke the latches? I don't know! Try a computer store...good luck.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
  8. No silly, he means the plastic pins for the chipset heatsink.

9. Right, the plastic latches that was on the original northbridge heatsink. I couldn't get em' off and I was really worried that I would damage the motherboard in the process. So I just cut them off because my Vantec cooler had new ones with the HSF.

I guess I'll check out 5o'clock computers later this week. I always wondered if you could buy a mini-bag of those things.
  10. I'm not upset with Newegg. Newegg's the best online seller of computer hardware IMHO.
  11. Really easy to get off if you have a little practice, you simply squeeze the head and wiggle the other end...nevermind.

Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards