P4 and Multiprocessing (non-Hyperthreading)

Last_Chance

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2003
Hello,

I am thinking about upgrading in the next 4 months and with the advent of Windows XP it seems to me that the time is ripe to consider a true multi-processing setup. After all, I can get two 2.4 GHz processors for the same price as a single 2.8 P4.

I know that the applications must themselves be coded to use both processors, but I am counting on some improvement being shown simply from the OS being able to run on one processor and games being able to utilize 100% of the second processor.

Anyway, my question is, are there any decent motherboard/chipset combos out there right now that handle two or more P4 processors? I have tried scanning the net for the information but everyone seems fixated on single processor motherboards.

Thanks a bundle for your assistance,

Dave

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Intel decided that you will have to buy XEON CPU's and a super expensive XEON board if you want dual processors.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

doctordetroit

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2003
Sadly, there are few to no software apps that will take advantage of dual processing power. It's an expensive option that you will never EVER use on your daily use playing MOH2, or surfing. If you use Photoshop 7, then maybe there is an off chance that you might use it. Save your cash for some solid SDRAM.

Dr. D.

"Send him....to Detroit!"