Sign in with
Your question

G7 Gaming Mouse

Last response: in Video Games
June 4, 2008 12:38:27 AM

Can anyone tell me, I am going or want to buy a Logitech G7 Gaming Mouse, is it compatible with Windows Vista. Thanks.

More about : gaming mouse

June 4, 2008 2:50:23 AM

I feel certain that it is. The driver software might not be but at most that will just affect whether the alt-tab button works or not. All the rest of the buttons work just fine without any special drivers in XP, so I see no reason why they wouldn't in Vista.
June 4, 2008 3:00:53 AM

Those are great mice! You shouldn't have any problems with Vista. If you do have driver problems just use the adapter to plug it into the PS/2 mouse input.
Related resources
June 4, 2008 7:45:01 AM

ZORBIT26 said:
Can anyone tell me, I am going or want to buy a Logitech G7 Gaming Mouse, is it compatible with Windows Vista. Thanks.

Apart from the fact that there are serious (read SERIOUS) issues with this mouse + dongle disconnecting at random intervals (Google for this phenomena)... The model has actually been discontinued by Logitech. I filed an RMA request for my mouse and was told I had to settle for a G9 (gaming wired mouse) or MX revolution (non-gaming wireless mouse) as replacement. Nice mouse but is very picky about the relative placement of the dongle and mouse (+2.4Ghz interference??).

It's very nice when its working though!! :pt1cable: 

Bob
June 4, 2008 8:14:26 AM

The driver software on my G5 worked fine on Vista, so I assume the G7 will.
June 4, 2008 10:12:32 AM

Of course it will work...
June 4, 2008 8:22:37 PM

aziraphale said:
Of course it will work...

Helllooo!!! Is anyone listening to me... This mouse doesn't work!! Logitech buggered up the wireless link hardware in the mouse (a proprietary Bluetooth implementation for anyone who cares). This is obviously a known issue for Logitech Support as they were very happy to exchange the mouse for an alternative product. The clincher (besides the number of complaints on many forums) is that the G7 IS NO LONGER BEING PRODUCED!!

So in summary drivers may or may not on Vista - but who cares as the model is discontinued and the G7 hardware does not work reliably for more than a few months...

Bob
June 5, 2008 2:17:11 AM

Yes I must agree with Bobwya. If you do deciede to buy a G7 expect it to start malfunctioning after about 8-12 months (light use) 4-8 months(heavy use). It's a great mouse while it lasts though. I read on the Logitech forums that if you RMA a G7, Logitech won't send you another G7 but instead their newer top of the line equivelent which is NOT a gaming mouse. I have a G7 and about 4 wireless Rumblepad controllers in a box in my closet that died after less than a year. I won't buy anymore Logitech products because of tech support insinuating that I am purposely breaking and or trying to scam them for hardware. Most of the time they don't require you to return broken items unless they are trying to figure out problems and therefor want to diagnose the devices.

Either way they need to do some serious R&D in their wireless division.

Sorry Bobwya I didn't read you're whole post so I basically repeated what you already said :) 
June 5, 2008 3:31:46 PM

bobwya said:
Helllooo!!! Is anyone listening to me... This mouse doesn't work!! Logitech buggered up the wireless link hardware in the mouse (a proprietary Bluetooth implementation for anyone who cares). This is obviously a known issue for Logitech Support as they were very happy to exchange the mouse for an alternative product. The clincher (besides the number of complaints on many forums) is that the G7 IS NO LONGER BEING PRODUCED!!

So in summary drivers may or may not on Vista - but who cares as the model is discontinued and the G7 hardware does not work reliably for more than a few months...

Bob

I had this mouse for quite a long time now, and thus my statement that it works. No problems there. So I guess I might have had luck and not every mouse is bugged?
June 5, 2008 5:45:03 PM

I've had the G7, three of them infact, got it replaced on warranty twice.

Battery is empty when you come back in the morning, you switch battery at least twice a day, my buttons broke after a very short time.

Stiff middle click, and involuntary double clicks, sometimes when not even holding the mouse.

Surprisingly short range, about 1m if placed next to the monitor.

In short, the G7 is absolute rubbish, and I now have a G9, wich is incredibly much better tracking on, on top of the zero lag, G7 has the least lag of any cordless I ever used, but it's not instant like the G9 is.

Just hammer the cable up on something and it won't be in the way.

Btw, first one acted up after 2 months, second after 3, third one after 3. I play above average, but I'm no CS-kid. Most of the time spent clicking the interwebs..
June 19, 2008 4:34:28 AM

I have had the mouse for over 2 years and love it. Best mouse I have ever owned, battery life could better as I find I go through both battery's if I have a hard long night of gaming, but other then that I have never had issues with the signal cutting out or any of that.
June 19, 2008 6:22:10 AM

Hi

I did give up on the G7 in the end. The need to keep a <30cm direct line-of-sight to between the sensor and mouse. Plus the fact it could be interfered with by cups of coffee (blocking the signal), mobile phones nearby, etc. Drove me nuts...

I asked for the MX Revolution as a replacement. This is OK so far... But can I make it to the 1 year mark?? Only time will tell!! Battey life is a bonus though (few days).

If you want a real gaming mouse now it appears to have to have wires!! (Since this whole discussion is academic as the G7 is no longer for sale.)

Bob

June 21, 2008 8:20:25 AM

I own a lx710 cordless combo from logitech. wireless mouse and keyboard comes with 5yr limited warranty. I got it at walmart at midnight, and 1 hr after my last keyboard died. 3-6 months later, lx710 is still working for me. I replace 2x AA on mouse three times so far (never turn it off), and keyboard still got original battery. Extremely "plug and play" even without windows.

You can buy 8 rechargeable AA batteries (+4 AAA) kit and charger and adapters from Costco for around $25 bucks. It says it last twice as long as standard AA. So, if you guys own wireless devices and uses AA or AAA, kit is good for you.
June 21, 2008 11:04:54 AM

I bought mine over a year ago and never have any of the issues mentioned above. Both batteries will be used if its in use all day, which could be an issue for you. Personally, I think its the best mouse ive ever bought, even though it wasn't cheap. My flatmate also has the same mouse, and from what I gather he hasn't had any probs either.. luck? maybe, but as i said, im happy with it.
June 21, 2008 11:33:58 AM

smeegle said:
I bought mine over a year ago and never have any of the issues mentioned above. Both batteries will be used if its in use all day, which could be an issue for you. Personally, I think its the best mouse ive ever bought, even though it wasn't cheap. My flatmate also has the same mouse, and from what I gather he hasn't had any probs either.. luck? maybe, but as i said, im happy with it.

Sure but you can't really recommend something that isn't produced anymore... Its kinda' hard to buy!! Remember the first message in the thread... The guy asked if he should buy one!!

Given they were pulled v. quickly and not replaced with similar a model (i.e. wireless gaming mouse) one would suspect Logitech had a lot of hardware failures on their hands... (From my reading around the forums anyway.)

Bob
June 21, 2008 6:25:43 PM

^ As hard as it is to admit, Bob here is right. I had my G7 for quite some time and was very satisfied with it. No issues with the battery, because you can change it on the fly. No issues either with reception or interference.
But then (I am a diehard fan of logitech; buy almost every new gadget they throw at me...) I bought the G9. And this is by far the best mouse I ever owned. Combine it with a decent pad and you ain't gonna regret it...
June 23, 2008 4:57:02 AM

i had one of those suckers[G7],,and it just sort of fall apart,,well,,, it did fall off the mouse pad a few times when i moved my chair,pad is an extension of the chair's arm..
anyhow ,,i replaced it with a mx610,whose receiver plugs right into the G7's base,after all it is just a usb extension,so now i have a dead,in partz,, G7 and two useless battriez,,,lol,,,.:) 
!