Controlling Desktop "Appearance"

Is there a url that lists which Items listed under Display
Properties|Appearance|Advanced|Items manages or controls the various
fonts and areas of, both, the Desktop and elements of a WinXP
application, such as Word, etc.?

I'm trying to configure a 19" LCD under its native resolution
(1280x1024) so as to maximize screen clarity. I have already increased
dpi to 120 but find that I also have to expand or increase the font size
of various elements under Windows, so as to enhance readability.

--
Paul R
-------------------------------

    Have you tried Clear Type? It is part of the PowerToys now. You'd be surprised how
    much better your text will look on a flat panel monitor.

    Mary Sauer MS MVP
    http://office.microsoft.com/
    http://www.msauer.mvps.org/

    Mary Sauer wrote:
    > Have you tried Clear Type? It is part of the PowerToys now. You'd be surprised how
    > much better your text will look on a flat panel monitor.

    Yes, I'm using Clear Type already. Again, the problem is not how clear
    the font is -- it is quite sharp and clear at max res of 1280X1024. The
    problem is I have to find a way to increase the font size within some
    elements of the desktop, at least for those properties that affect XP
    apps like Word and others.

    Even with Clear Type active, the lower res I prefer (1024x780) remains
    quite blurry and fuzzy, no matter what, and in spite of Clear Type.
    Actually, I have found that Clear Type shows up best on desktop captions
    and some websites. Text within standard Win XP apps show no difference
    or don't seem to be afected.

    I just need to find out which elements in the Display
    Properties|Appearance|Items affect what elements of various apps, so I
    can attempt to change the font and/or its size whenever illegible.

    --
    Paul R
    -------------------------------

    From XP HELP...

    [[If you want to increase the size of text on your screen to make it more
    readable, use Font size on the Appearance tab in Display Properties.

    Open Display in Control Panel.
    On the Appearance tab, in Font size, click a new font size.
    Notes
    To open Display, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and
    then double-click Display.
    This option enables you to enlarge the fonts used in window headers, icon
    labels, and menus. For information about enlarging all items on your screen,
    click Related Topics.
    The font size options are based on the current theme, visual style, and
    color scheme. For some themes, styles, or schemes, you may only have one
    font size option. ]]
    =====

    Open Help and Support | Type: font size | Click the arrow

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:yoTdd.4805$ta5.715@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net,
    Paul R <195prosete@195earthlink.com> hunted and pecked:

    On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 10:16:36 -0400, Mary Sauer wrote:

    > Have you tried Clear Type? It is part of the PowerToys now. You'd be surprised how
    > much better your text will look on a flat panel monitor.

    Can't live without ClearType on my flat panels. Marry, thanks for the heads
    up that this is now a standalone Power Toy. Much easier to use this than
    finding that online tuner!

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 18:40:30 GMT, Paul R wrote:

    > Actually, I have found that Clear Type shows up best on desktop captions
    > and some websites. Text within standard Win XP apps show no difference
    > or don't seem to be afected.

    Check menus of your application for font related settings. Often
    fine-tuning the appearance of a program is controlled by the program
    itself.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 10:28:49 -0500, Sharon F <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote:

    Maybe there's a diff tween XP and XP pro. clear type is a setting on my display
    properties -> appearance -> effects tab.

    I assume clear type is intended for flat panel monitors as I haven't seen any
    difference myself.

    On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 12:05:45 -0400, Husky wrote:

    > On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 10:28:49 -0500, Sharon F <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote:
    >
    > Maybe there's a diff tween XP and XP pro. clear type is a setting on my display
    > properties -> appearance -> effects tab.
    >
    > I assume clear type is intended for flat panel monitors as I haven't seen any
    > difference myself.

    Yes, the basic feature has an On/Off switch within XP. From there, a visit
    to the ClearType pages on Microsoft's website leads to an online tuner
    where you can fine tune the ClearType effect to your liking. The power toy
    that Mary is referring to, replaces that tuner.

    Not everyone likes Clear Type and results can depends on the hardware and
    drivers that are present. ClearType increases the horizontal DPI - up to
    300%. On some monitors the results can make quite a difference and for the
    better.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 13:06:22 -0500, Sharon F <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote:

    Well BTDT with XP pro. I'm on a desktop with a plain old VGA monitor. I saw a
    difference the tune up, but there's still no change on my monitor. Only
    difference was in that one single box. The [next] button to step 3 didn't work,
    had to use the text step 3 link at the top of the page. And the move didn't
    really do anything. Must be a laptop or other style monitor it affects. Has
    zero effect here.

    On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 14:42:07 -0400, Husky wrote:

    > Well BTDT with XP pro. I'm on a desktop with a plain old VGA monitor. I saw a
    > difference the tune up, but there's still no change on my monitor. Only
    > difference was in that one single box. The [next] button to step 3 didn't work,
    > had to use the text step 3 link at the top of the page. And the move didn't
    > really do anything. Must be a laptop or other style monitor it affects. Has
    > zero effect here.

    Although some folks will use it with CRT monitors (I did), there is not as
    much benefit. The dot pitch is different and does not suffer the same
    troubles with smoothing as LCD monitors.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    Sharon F wrote:
    > On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 18:40:30 GMT, Paul R wrote:
    >

    >>Actually, I have found that Clear Type shows up best on desktop captions
    >>and some websites. Text within standard Win XP apps show no difference
    >>or don't seem to be afected.
    >

    > Check menus of your application for font related settings. Often
    > fine-tuning the appearance of a program is controlled by the program
    > itself.

    Well, I'm almost there...I use a couple of uncooperative apps (office
    billing and scheduling program) that just won't work well with the 120
    dpi 1280x1024 res. Neither of them has a way to alter the fonts on their
    menu and tool bars. In fact, their online KB tells you that if the
    fonts on the tool/menu bars aren't reading correctly (or even being
    seen), that the user must then drop down to 96 dpi. That's just too
    small for me on a 19" screen. So...I've been going up and down the dpi
    scale to find that point where the text is readable vs. not. Once I
    find that, I should be able to re-configure the XP desktop and those
    apps that are more "appearance friendly" so I can adjust these for
    better readability.

    --
    Paul R
    -------------------------------

    On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 17:23:19 GMT, Paul R wrote:

    > Well, I'm almost there...I use a couple of uncooperative apps (office
    > billing and scheduling program) that just won't work well with the 120
    > dpi 1280x1024 res. Neither of them has a way to alter the fonts on their
    > menu and tool bars. In fact, their online KB tells you that if the
    > fonts on the tool/menu bars aren't reading correctly (or even being
    > seen), that the user must then drop down to 96 dpi. That's just too
    > small for me on a 19" screen. So...I've been going up and down the dpi
    > scale to find that point where the text is readable vs. not. Once I
    > find that, I should be able to re-configure the XP desktop and those
    > apps that are more "appearance friendly" so I can adjust these for
    > better readability.

    Paul, have you considered dropping down the desktop resolution? While
    something like 1152x864 is not the optimal setting for your monitor, it
    could go a long way in curing the readability problems for you. And it's
    not as big of a drop as 1024x768.

    Personally, I've grown accustomed to the extra real estate 1280x1024
    provides. I've played around with font settings and always come back to 96
    DPI, ClearType fine tuned to a lesser degree than the default and adjusting
    fonts within applications.

    I know some folks that go the other way - 120 dpi, choosing to put up with
    the incongruities that can appear within some program interfaces. And
    another handful of friends that just "chuck it all" and go for a lower
    resolution.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    Husky wrote:

    > On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 10:28:49 -0500, Sharon F <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote:
    >
    > Maybe there's a diff tween XP and XP pro. clear type is a setting on my display
    > properties -> appearance -> effects tab.
    >
    > I assume clear type is intended for flat panel monitors as I haven't seen any
    > difference myself.

    Yes, my XP Home has that option and I have it checked; however, I
    believe a trip to the MS Clear Type web interface page is still needed
    to properly adjust it.

    --
    Paul R

Desktops Windows XP