MGS4 review limitations..

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
We weren't happy with the limitations Konami wanted to impose on our comments, and rather than publish compromised reviews in the interest of being the first to rate the game, we'd rather wait until next issue, where we can be completely open and thorough with our thoughts.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/06/02/egm-delays-mgs4-reviews-konamis-limitations-cited/

This sorta reminds me of the magazines I used to read, some mediocre (not saying MGS4 is, it's no longer my type of game) super hyped game gets a really great review (hey, PC gamer has done it atleast once, apologized for it..).

After the whole Kane & Lynch thing.. I guess we can forgive MGS4 for being a desperately needed PS3 game?

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
I think it's a bit silly that Konami put these limitations in, considering they had previously disclosed information about the 4.5GB install and the 90 minute final cut scene. I hate the whole idea of these "exclusive reviews" because they have to basically advertise the game or they won't get a copy before release. I'm not even certain I'm going to buy the game yet, but if I don't, it won't have anything to do with this.

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
I already went on a rant about this for this week's Second Take video, which should be up soon. But I'll summarise my thoughts:

This is complete and utter BS. It's conduct unbecoming of a great game company like Konami. I applaud EGM for sticking to journalistic principles. And I'm disappointed other mags/sites didn't do the same.

In any event, we keep coming back to the same question, which is why would Konami do this? How could it be so stupid to try to strong arm the gaming press like this? Well, the troubling implication is this: they obviously thought they could get away with it, and they nearly did, which tells me that this isn't the first time that a pathetic stunt like this has been tried.

And sadly, it probably won't be the last.

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
I know, it makes no sense, we don't know what the list is exactly, other than possibly the game install size and the length of cutscenes (which is what turned me off from MGS, I like to play games, not watch em, thanks). They should make a damn movie already.

Konami has been around for as long as I can remember, I was somewhat surprised when I heard about this. It's not like this is going to be a bad game, but keep off any possible criticisms? sheesh!