Crysis Warhead on the Horizon

mr roboto

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2007
Blaming piracy for their low sales expectations was wrong. Did piracy affect sales? Who knows, I'm sure it did to some extent and they're not the only ones who have to deal with it. Other games without copy protection sell well. Why is that? Why does one game like Call of Duty 4 sell really well(even though it's been pirated to hell) while Crysis only sells one million. The biggest factor to me is that the system requirements for the game were (and still are) just too high for the average computer. On top of the line ,cutting edge hardware the game still struggles even with "high" settings and AA at 4x. Word of mouth gets around fast and people hear "Crysis was running slow on my Q6000 with a 8800GTX" and they think,what hope does my system have? If Crytek wants to maximize profits they should have put more thought into scalability with the CryEngine2. The source engine scales extremely well. You can even play source games on 2 generations old hardware. Also the story is the same. The ever popular aliens are comming to destroy earth plot. It looks awsome and was fun for a few weeks,but there's not much replay factor. Throw in Sh*tty multiplayer and you have a above average game but that's it.

So to still sell 1 Million copies thus far is very good in my opinion. Of course as tech catches up with Crysis it will sell more too. After all it's "thee" benchmark for punishing your PC. Also allying yourself with EA certainly can't help. I almost never buy EA games because of their attitude as company. I did pick up Crysis and even recently Mass Effect. I don't think ME counts so much though because Bioware has been one of my favorite studios for quite some time, they were recently aquired by EA so they haven't fully corrupted them yet. Other than those though I pretty much stay away from EA as much as possible.

Crytek has been drinking too much of their own Cool Aid. Crysis may have cost a boatload of money to produce but it's just not a "great" game. I'm not even that interested in them finishing the story with future games. Them blaming piracy instead of themselves has really just put me off even more.

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
"If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact us."

Now they claim to give a damn what the "community" thinks.
I'm not buying it. I'm not buying SecureROM either, which is part of the purchase price with these programs.

Maybe it won't suck on the console, but with BD+ on the PS3, they can probably come up with a rootkit-like application to make themselves happy.

exfileme

Splendid
EA released the official information this morning. Looks like Crysis Warhead is an exclusive PC title (so much for all that non-PC exclusive crap) using the CryENGINE 2 engine. However, they use "parallel story to Crysis" so it doesn't sound like an actual sequel.

EA and Crytek Announce Development of Crysis Warhead

The Next Installment of One of the Highest Rated Games of 2007 Blasts Its Way Onto PCs This Fall

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--June 5, 2008--Maximum freedom, maximum explosions and maximum Psycho! Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:ERTS) and award-winning independent studio Crytek today announced Crysis Warhead(R) - the parallel story to Crysis, one of the most critically-acclaimed first person shooters and PC games of 2007. Shipping exclusively for the PC this fall, Crysis Warhead is the first title to be developed at Crytek's Budapest studio, and is built on a new, enhanced and optimized version of Crytek's CryENGINE(R) 2 technology.

"We were very pleased with the reception of Crysis from both gamers and media after our launch last year," said Cevat Yerli, CEO and President of Crytek. "That being said, one of the key principles of our studio is to always raise the bar. With Warhead, we are focusing on refining our storytelling and game performance, while also delivering more of the visually stunning graphics and immersive, free-roaming gameplay everyone loved in Crysis."

"The best result of a partnership that we can ask for in the EA Partners program is when a world class independent studio like Crytek chooses to continue to work with us," said David DeMartini, Vice President and Global General Manager, EA Partners. "Crysis was an amazing game and is going to be a blockbuster franchise. We could not be more excited to be working with Crytek to launch another hit with Crysis Warhead this year."

In Crysis Warhead, players will don the Nanosuit of Sergeant Sykes, also known as 'Psycho', one of the most memorable characters from Crysis. More brash and aggressive than his Delta Force squadmate Nomad, players will experience Psycho's parallel story during the events of the original game, finding that life on the other side of the island is even more intense and explosive than they ever could have imagined. Luckily, Psycho's Nanosuit is just as capable and he's equipped with an even bigger arsenal of fully customizable weapons and new vehicles, giving players access to the tools they need to dominate any situation. Aside from this new, exciting single player campaign, Crysis Warhead will also feature new multiplayer content. Stay tuned for more details this summer.

Crysis Warhead has not yet been rated by the ESRB or PEGI. For more information about the game, please visit www.crysisthegame.com.

About Electronic Arts

Electronic Arts Inc. (EA), headquartered in Redwood City, California, is the world's leading interactive entertainment software company. Founded in 1982, the Company develops, publishes, and distributes interactive software worldwide for video game systems, personal computers, cellular handsets and the Internet. Electronic Arts markets its products under four brand names: EA SPORTS(TM), EA(TM), EA SPORTS Freestyle (TM) and POGO(TM). In fiscal 2008, EA posted GAAP net revenue of $3.67 billion and had 27 titles that sold more than one million copies. EA's homepage and online game site is www.ea.com. More information about EA's products and full text of press releases can be found on the Internet at http://info.ea.com.

About Crytek GmbH

Crytek GmbH ("Crytek") creators of the multi-award winning first person shooter Far Cry(R), and the recent blockbuster hit Crysis(R), awarded best PC Game of both E3 2007 and the 2007 Leipzig Games Convention, and awarded Best Technology at the 2008 Game Developers Choice Awards, is an interactive entertainment development company with its headquarters located in Frankfurt Main, Germany and additional studios in Kiev, Ukraine and Budapest, Hungary. Crytek is dedicated to creating exceptionally high quality video games for the PC and next-generation consoles, powered by their proprietary cutting edge 3D-Game-Technology CryENGINE(R)2.

Development teams who are interested in obtaining a commercial license for the CryENGINE(R) 2 middleware should visit www.cryengine2.com.

Crytek, Crysis, Crysis Warhead and CryENGINE are registered trademarks or trademarks of Crytek GmbH in the USA, Germany and other countries

EA, EA SPORTS, EA SPORTS Freestyle and POGO are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts Inc. in the U.S and/or other countries.

exfileme

Splendid
Here's something else I found concerning CryENGINE 2's cross platform ability:

Jan 29, 2008 13:00 ET

Crytek to Feature Cross Platform CryENGINE(R)2 at GDC

FRANKFURT, Germany, January 29/PRNewswire/ -- Crytek GmbH will demonstrate their multi award winning CryENGINE(R)2 game development middleware and their Sandbox 2(TM) game editor again at this year's Game Developer Conference on February 18 - 22 in San Francisco. First publicly shown at last year's conference, and recently released as the technology supporting the hit PC game, Crysis, this year's engine will be shown for the first time running on multiple hardware platforms such as the PS3 and Xbox 360, to a select audience.

In addition, Crytek will once again be hosting a series of public presentations of the CryENGINE(R)2 at their booth #6611 in the North Hall. For the first time, Crytek will also be joined at their booth by some of their many licensing partners, which will also show the CryENGINE(R)2 being used for architectural visualizations and serious games applications. Seating is on a first come, first served basis, and likely to fill quickly. There is no appointment needed to attend.

For private appointments to discuss licensing, or to arrange for a showing of the console versions of the engine, interested parties should email gdc2008@crytek.com, including details of who would be attending the meeting and its purpose. As the time for meetings is limited and slots fill quickly, it's recommended to make booking requests as soon as possible.

About Crytek

Crytek GmbH ("Crytek") creators of the multi-award winning first person shooter Far Cry(R), and the recent blockbuster hit Crysis(R), awarded best PC Game of both E3 2007 and the 2007 Leipzig Games Convention, is an interactive entertainment development company with its headquarters located in Frankfurt Main, Germany and additional studios in Kiev, Ukraine and Budapest, Hungary. Crytek is dedicated to creating exceptionally high quality video games for the PC and next-generation consoles, powered by their proprietary cutting edge 3D-Game-Technology CryENGINE(R)2. For more information about Crytek, please visit http://www.crytek.com. Development teams who are interested in obtaining a commercial license for the CryENGINE(R)2 middleware should mail their inquiries to cryengine@crytek.com.

Harald Seeley
Engine Business Manager
Crytek GmbH
Hanauer Landstrasse 523
60386 Frankfurt

Tel +49-(0)-69-219-7766-69
Fax +49-(0)-69-219-7766559

Source: Crytek GmbH

Harald Seeley, Engine Business Manager, Crytek GmbH, Hanauer Landstrasse 523 , 60386 Frankfurt, Tel +49-(0)-69-219-7766-69, Fax +49-(0)-69-219-7766559

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
Due to the nature and size of PS3 titles, they currently are unavailable for download on any sites that I know of. For reference, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune uses nearly all 25GBs of it's single layer Blu-ray disc. Seeing as most developers are encouraged to leave data uncompressed, most PS3 games are considerably larger than their Xbox360 counterparts. To make things more difficult, Blu-ray writers are expensive, and few and far between. I don't believe anyone has even bothered trying to pirate or host PS3 games due to their size and nature, as well as the fact that they would have to be loaded to the hard drive, and even then Sony likely has other copyright protection in place that would require modified firmware, none of which currently exists for this purpose.

Hopefully this latest version of Crysis runs a lot better than the last installment.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
there many up for download, (about 150, they run with out a mod chip )

the problem is that no one has a ps3 so no one will pirate something for a console that they don't have

mothhive

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
Warhead sounds like it will be great! Psycho was my favourite character from Crysis and should be fun to play as him. I wonder if the 3rd in the trilogy will be based around Prophet's experiences? Awesome character and alot of mystery surrounding all that stuff with the thing and the things!!! (trying not to include spoilers. Anyone who played will know what I mean) :D

mr roboto

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2007
It's not so much the size of the titles with the PS3 but the fact that there's no hacked firmware. Rest assured though that there are many people working on that. Most PS3 titles are your standard 4-8GB in size. I doubt a 25GB game will deter people from downloading PS3 games if a hacked firmware does show up.

raptorxt

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
my friend (game name VOLATILE (a huge crysis fan)) told me that this is an expansion pack not the second part of the trilogy.

that would make sense because if we are going to play psycho we will be playing through the same events.

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
Crysis: Warhead is more than likely going to be their evaluation for whether or not it is worth making a Crysis 2; if the piracy is as bad as they claim, it will be quite evident when this expansion pack launches.

There won't be an excuse anymore that hardware isn't available for the game, because it most certainly will be (really there has been, but thats aside the point I guess.)

So, if Warhead doesn't make at least decent sales - I wouldn't expect a Crysis 2 to materialize.

Now, if Crytek is smart (which they may or may not be), they will release Crysis:Warhead bundled WITH Crysis on the same disc. There will be no additional production costs and it should help them promote the product a lot.

mothhive

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
I hope Cevat can stop being a whiney bitch long enough to consider using Steam or an equivalent service to distribute and control piracy of the game.

Also, I hope this time he learns from the mistake of leading everyone to believe (unintentionally perhaps) that it is virtually impossible to run without a supercomputer, because that is complete bs. I ran it fine on a mid range PC (7900gs and E6300) shortly after it came out. Sure it wasn't on all high settings, but it was good enough to look and play great! Do you really need to max out a game to consider it playable? It's people with attitudes like Spinacheater (above) that put people off as they assume that you need to spend thousands of dollars/pounds to actually have it run.

Xternal

Distinguished
May 12, 2008

Isn't that comment getting a little old ? :pfff:

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006

Actually, Mothhive, I think Crytek and Yerli did the exact opposite. They've said all along that Crysis was intended to run on two-year old systems (as well as systems built two years from now). And they've touted that company line throughout Crysis' development, promotion and release to try to let people know that their older hardware could run the game. It would be a horrible strategy for a developer to claim that its PC game needs the latest and most expensive hardware. Now, I take issue with Crytek's claim because I don't believe Crysis scales as well as they claimed. But that's beside the point.

Also, you mention Steam and asked why doesn't Cevat just STFU and use it to prevent piracy. Well, there's an excellent reason -- they can't because the publisher, not the developer, controls how the game goes to market. Hence, EA calls the shots, and since EA has its own digital distribution system (which no one uses, apparently) and doesn't have any games currently offered on Steam, that should clear the matter up. A lot of people in previous discussions, including our ST video on Crytek blaming piracy, have gotten pissed off at the developer for those comments and said, hey, just use Steam. I'm telling you, it's not that easy. I wish developers had more control over their product in the games biz. They don't, and that's the harsh reality.

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
Didn't intel/nvidia pay 6 and 4$ million to crytek/ea, they also answered alot of the interviews i've seen on fansites like incrysis.. our latest hardware blah blah blah..

I have a Q6600 with 8800GTS 320, I haft to play the game mostly on medium to get a smooth framerate, even at those settings, the game looks 10x better than Battlefield on high, but ain't as fun (multiplayer).

Well I can't wait to finish the story, here's to hoping it doesn't have a halo 2 ending. (can we call that the new benchmark for bad endings?)

And hey! It is coming this fall, jebus, SC2, Fallout 3, if Duke Nukem F was announced for this fall, i'd be having nerdy wet dreams.

XD-1

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2008
Crysis is a very fun game, the most fun SP campaign I played last year. This is definitely good news! :D

Although, EA will certainly curb my enthusiasm if they go with Mass Effect style DRM (3 installs, etc) on this and other games they publish the rest of the year.

Regardless of that for the moment though, anyone else feeling a sort of PC resurgence?

2008 already looked like a very good year (Spore, Fallout 3, STALKER CS, etc, etc, etc), now we have Crysis Warhead (exclusive) announced along with other perhaps unexpected recent announcements, which if nothing else seem to indicate the PC is not lacking in attention: Saints Row 2, Burnout Paradise, Street Fighter 4, the PC is the lead dev platform for Resident Evil 5 (no PC version announced though), etc.

Xternal

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
Im playing crysis on an E7200 with a G92 8800 GTS and for my native resolution of 1440x900 every setting on high and 2x AA its perfect i had a lot of fun and it looks really good even though 30-40 Fps arent record breaking but i didnt care much .

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Im excited both about the game and the fact that I will most likely have a GTX 280 for this next Crysis go around! lol

Best,

3Ball

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008

I'm running it fine with SLI 8800 GT very high - i've played through it twice with SLI 8800 GT and once with single 8800 GT with different settings..

On medium settings with high shaders/texture detail on a single 8800 GT and it was still better looking than any other game on the market.

People criticize Crysis way too much based on graphics performance - if they can't max out graphics settings on a ati 3870 or a 9600 GT its a BAD GAME!!!! lol

The engine was designed with the future in mind - its still an excellent looking game even without the graphics settings maxed out and its almost kind of silly that people always snipe at the graphics.

If anything is worth sniping at, snipe at the bloody AI. Long range combat against enemies from cover or during night with silencers almost trivializes the game difficulty even on Delta. When enemies are being shot at and KNOW they are being shot at they should logically go for cover more than they do :S

I would love to see a mod that disables silencers on everything but the pistol and doubles the energy consumption of stealth powerup - that would significantly ramp the difficulty up =D

TRENDING THREADS