Sign in with
Your question

Setting AA on in Doom 3 resets resolution to 800X600

Last response: in Video Games
June 5, 2008 5:49:10 AM

Recently i had to reformat my computer and after i installed Doom 3 ver. 1.31 it wont let me play at full resolution (my max is 1280X1024) with AA at 16X. I know my system can handle no sweat. Specifically the problem happens when i set AA to 16x or any level except none. The game asks me to quit restart it so the settings can be put into effect. I then rerun the game and check to see what the settings are and i see that its at 800X600 and no AA. However if i leave AA off and just set the resolution to 1280X1024 it will accept it but with the exception of no AA. Even if i set AA to 2x it resets my resolution back to 800X600. I tried reinstalling the game, change drivers but to no success.

Here are my specs:
Mobo: DFI 875p rev. b (not lan party) Socket 478
CPU: Pentium 4 Extreme Edition 3.4ghz 2mb Cache
Video Card: HIS X1950pro AGP 512mb 590mhz core / 1.54ghz memory
Memory: PC-3200 OCZ Platinum (Rev. 2) 2 Gig Dual Channel (2-3-2-5)
Hard Drive: Maxtor 120 Gig SATA
Monitor: LG L1933TR 19inch LCD max resolution 1280X1024
ATI Driver: Catalyst 8.5

So if any of you guys know whats causing this i would very much appreciate the help
thanks

July 29, 2008 12:47:08 PM

i have the same problem specs are intel q9450, 8gigs ram, vista ultimate, 2 gtx/280 in sli, striker 2 formula mobo??????? this game keeps resetting itself the same way!
July 29, 2008 1:58:50 PM

^Does it to me too. I have a great setup but could never get it to play at the max res. Must be because it thinks its still a UBER game when its too old.
Related resources
July 29, 2008 3:15:49 PM

there has to be a way i seen people on youtube playing it max on newer systems!
July 29, 2008 5:13:55 PM

Hey guys, I don't feel like installing Doom 3 just to troubleshoot your issues. But here's a few recommendations:

1 - Take a look at the Doom 3 forum. You might find answers to this problems.

2- Update your Videocard drivers and install the latest Doom 3 patch (This goes for both ATI and Nvidia).

----If your troubleshooting fails...then here's what I recommend-----

You guys seem to have fairly good Videocards.

ATI: Download the latest drivers including its software. You'll be able to manually force your AA and Anistropic settings to whatever you want. It is normaly recommended to use the in game settings because of performance impact...but given your card, you should not have any problems running the game at full settings (including forced settings). Make sure you don't force the in-game settings but do force only the settings that are faulty in game (i.e. AA).

Nvidia: You can personalize each 3d application (games) you have on your PC. Simply choose Doom 3 from the list and apply the settings manually. Same rules apply for In-Game vs Forced settings.

Hope this helps!
July 29, 2008 9:08:08 PM

my whole system is up to date and i have the latest patch for the game! i tried forcing the graphics but u cannont change the res!
July 29, 2008 9:43:21 PM

skarface said:
my whole system is up to date and i have the latest patch for the game! i tried forcing the graphics but u cannont change the res!

Just to make sure I understand...

Your settings are:
AA and Anistropic= none
Res = default
Other settings High or Ultra

then it asks you to restart the game...which you do.

Then, change the res back to whatever your monitor can handle. Save and Quit the game.

Go in your Ntune and force AA and Anis to your liking....apply settings.

Start the game. Should work.

***if you start the game and the res goes back to 800x600...then I really don't know what to tell you.***

Check out the Doom 3 Forum and see if they have easy ways to fix it.

PS: You can start the game with additional commands in Doom 3....using a log file. I don't feel like explaining but if you know how to use those...then try it. There should be plenty of info on these log files and how to use them on the Doom 3 Forums.

Good luck.
July 29, 2008 11:16:33 PM

Alex The PC Gamer said:
Just to make sure I understand...

Your settings are:
AA and Anistropic= none
Res = default
Other settings High or Ultra

then it asks you to restart the game...which you do.

Then, change the res back to whatever your monitor can handle. Save and Quit the game.

Go in your Ntune and force AA and Anis to your liking....apply settings.

Start the game. Should work.

***if you start the game and the res goes back to 800x600...then I really don't know what to tell you.***

Check out the Doom 3 Forum and see if they have easy ways to fix it.

PS: You can start the game with additional commands in Doom 3....using a log file. I don't feel like explaining but if you know how to use those...then try it. There should be plenty of info on these log files and how to use them on the Doom 3 Forums.

Good luck.

tried those things but didnt work i even tried the log with r_mode 8 and the aa one as well it never worked. as far as forcing the game in the control pannel the game settings still indicated no aa and res isnt an option for a game in the nvidia control pannel. but yes i changed res to 1600x1200 16aa hit apply changes then hit cntrl alt ~ vid_restart and those changes still would not take effect. didnt really find anything helpful on forums.
July 30, 2008 3:19:23 PM

Weird.

There's really nothing you can do about the Resolution. I was hoping you could set the 1600x1200 resolution if your settings were turned off. And then force settings such as AA from you Ntune software. But like I said, If that doesn't work...including the log files...then it looks like your guys are doomed! hehe that was cheesy.
July 31, 2008 1:49:41 AM

well i got it figured out! run the game in window mode then change res to whatever and aa to whatever then stretch the window to desired resoulution. If u hit 1600X1200 and monitor will not go that high it resets the main setting for somereason its a glitch in the game. it leaves no error or says anything about not being able to do so. my monitor is max 1680x1050 so that y it kept doing that.
July 31, 2008 3:22:47 PM

Here is something else you can try. Once you restart game after applying desired AA open the console, I think you'll have to hit ctrl+alt+~ to open it, though it may just be ~. Then type in these commands pressing enter after each one:
r_mode -1
r_customheight 1024
r_customwidth 1280
vid_restart

Once the changes are applied you should be able to tell if the AA is still on or not, and BTW that will work with any game based on Doom3 engine.
!