Connecting a laptop

Hi

I would like to set up a laptop that an elderly person is using so that she
can disconnect from the cable modem and have freedom to use the laptop
around the house.

Can someone tell me what I need?

Thanks

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 17:04:31 GMT, "R.Hiner"
<rosemary.hiner@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>I would like to set up a laptop that an elderly person is using so that she
>can disconnect from the cable modem and have freedom to use the laptop
>around the house.
>Can someone tell me what I need?

Easy.
A PCMCIA 802.11b or 802.11g card for the laptop
A wireless router with 802.11b or 802.11g
The router is connected to the cable modem. The router feature also
includes a firewall to keep people like me out of her computer.
See:
http://www.tomsnetworking.com
http://www.practicallynetworked.com
for tutorials, products and reviews.

Note: If the laptop is fairly new, it may already have 802.11
wireless inside. Check the specifications.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

"R.Hiner" <rosemary.hiner@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I would like to set up a laptop that an elderly person is using so that
she
> can disconnect from the cable modem and have freedom to use the laptop
> around the house.
>
> Can someone tell me what I need?
>
> Thanks

Rosemary,

You need two things: a wireless adapter on the laptop, and a wireless base
station called an Access Point. The laptop may already have a wireless
capability built in. If it doesn't, you can buy a PC Card style Wireless
Adapter.

There are different standards for wireless. If your laptop has a built-in
wireless capability, it is likely to follow the 802.11b standard. If you
need to buy a wireless adapter for the laptop, then I recommend that you buy
one that follows the 802.11g standard. Regardless of which standard you use
on the laptop, I recommend that you buy an Access Point compliant with the
802.11g standard; it will operate with adapters of either standard.

Let us know what model of laptop you are using, and what Operating System
(Windows XP Home, Windows ME, etc.) you are using. Then we can supply some
more detailed assistance.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

R.Hiner <rosemary.hiner@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> I would like to set up a laptop that an elderly person is using so that she
> can disconnect from the cable modem and have freedom to use the laptop
> around the house.

My first thought is that a large monitor and a wireless keyboard/mouse
might work out just fine. Is this person really going to wander around the
house with a laptop?

"Around the house" is often not something that can be accomplished readily.
The wirelss signal just isn't that strong. Maybe it'll work fine,
especially in a smaller house, maybe not, and the laptop would be left
sitting on the shelf.

Several companies offer a "kit". A router and a wireless card for the
laptop in a box. If you haven't tried wireless yourself, you might want to
garner some assistance from a local computer shop or users group.

DLink, Linksys, Netgear seem to be happy brands.
Next is the issue of security. The default out of the box is to let
anybody connect to your network.

--
---