  • Products
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
October 22, 2004 2:13:01 AM

I had windowsME as my oper system, I purchased and installed windowsXP-home
edition. I went to pull up MSWord (and other office products) and i get the
following error mssg: Preparing to install then next i get "install
MSWindowsXP standard disk" - I leave my "upgrade" disk in, but it's asking
for another - how can I get my MSOffice products back?
PLEASE HELP.
GARY C.

More about : happened msword

Anonymous
October 22, 2004 4:16:37 AM

What happened to MSWORD? wrote:
> I had windowsME as my oper system, I purchased and installed
> windowsXP-home edition. I went to pull up MSWord (and other office
> products) and i get the following error mssg: Preparing to install
> then next i get "install MSWindowsXP standard disk" - I leave my
> "upgrade" disk in, but it's asking for another - how can I get my
> MSOffice products back?
> PLEASE HELP.
> GARY C.

Reinstall them from their installation media?
You'll keep all your settings.

Plus - it may be asking for THEIR media, not Windows.

--
<- Shenan ->
October 22, 2004 10:22:00 AM

Hi

Was MS Word already installed on your PC when you purchased it? If so, have
you had a look through the CDs that came with your PC? The MS Word
re-install CD may be among them.

--

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"What happened to MSWORD?" <What happened to
MSWORD?@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I had windowsME as my oper system, I purchased and installed windowsXP-home
> edition. I went to pull up MSWord (and other office products) and i get
> the
> following error mssg: Preparing to install then next i get "install
> MSWindowsXP standard disk" - I leave my "upgrade" disk in, but it's asking
> for another - how can I get my MSOffice products back?
> PLEASE HELP.
> GARY C.
October 22, 2004 4:20:45 PM

Hi, Gary;

Sounds sort of like the situation described here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313935

I'd suggest you try that for Word, and if it works then you can either:
a. do the same for all your other Office apps, but that is cumbersome :)
b. open Control Panel/Add&Remove Programs, highlight the MS Office entry and
select the Repair button (or Change then Repair).
c. start the Office Setup wizard from your Office CD then select the Repair
option from there

Note that I have not tried b/c above, but hopefully that will work. If not
you may need to Remove Office from your system then re-install it. (you
won't lose your documents/data files by doing that)

--

....Sky

================

What happened to MSWORD? wrote:
> I had windowsME as my oper system, I purchased and installed
> windowsXP-home edition. I went to pull up MSWord (and other office
> products) and i get the following error mssg: Preparing to install then
> next i get "install MSWindowsXP standard disk" - I leave my "upgrade"
> disk in, but it's asking for another - how can I get my MSOffice products
> back?
> PLEASE HELP.
> GARY C.
Anonymous
October 22, 2004 10:49:12 PM

What happened to MSWORD? wrote:
> I had windowsME as my oper system, I purchased and installed
> windowsXP-home edition. I went to pull up MSWord (and other office
> products) and i get the following error mssg: Preparing to install
> then next i get "install MSWindowsXP standard disk" - I leave my
> "upgrade" disk in, but it's asking for another - how can I get my
> MSOffice products back?
> PLEASE HELP.
> GARY C.

If you performed an in-place upgrade from an earlier edition of
Windows, and the Office applications were already installed, you'll
likely have to repair or reinstall them, so they can add the necessary
additional functions needed for use on a multi-user OS. It may be
sufficient to simply insert the respective installation CD and select
the "Detect and Repair" option.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having
both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 8:04:55 PM

> I had windowsME as my oper system, I purchased and installed
windowsXP-home
> edition. I went to pull up MSWord (and other office products) and i get
the
> following error mssg: Preparing to install then next i get "install
> MSWindowsXP standard disk" - I leave my "upgrade" disk in, but it's asking
> for another - how can I get my MSOffice products back?

Another possibility is that if you bought your computer with WinME and
MSWord already installed, chances are, you also had MSWorks installed on
your computer as well.

In my case, it turns out that I had to insert the MSWorks CD to upgrade.

Nice of them to let us know, eh?
!