Sins of a Solar Empire vs X3

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
I got tiredof a friend of mine telling me how much he LOVES SSE so I went over to his house and he helped me throgh the initial learning curve(OH Dear) on Single Player, sorry guys but I would never buy this game, then he came over to my place and played X3, he couldn't get over how much better the graphics were and the learning curve was short and sweet, today he bought it on Ebay for a buck and won't get off my computer so I can play the game, anybody played them both give me some feedback, am I just being partial or is X3 really that much better

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
?
Really this makes no sense.
Sins of a Solar Empire is an RTS and if you are familiar with RTSs, it doesn't have too bad a learning curve.

X3 is a space sim and as space sims go it has one of the steepest learning curves imaginable.

you are comparing an aardvark to a potatoe I am afraid.

Morton

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2005
Yes, different genre. It would be better to compare SSE to a similar game, such as Homeworld 2.

Great, now I know what on Earth an aardvark is. :) I wonder if they make good pets. :lol:

tallguy1618

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
I love SSE. The learning curve isn't bad at all. I got the hang of it after 3 games. I also think the backstory is pretty cool, especially the Vasari. And just like Civilization, my all-time favorite series, modding it seems easy and there are many cool mods in the works. I've never played X3 nor do I know what it is, so I can't comment on that.

bornking

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
boring. SSE was boring to the max (haha an 80's term still alive) and X3 was a sad attempt to recreate the glory that was tie-fighter.

When will the gaming industry learn that an RTS needs more direct involvement (although I have not yet played supreme commander) and that a space sim should not try to copy tie-fighter.

Even lucas arts is not releasing a new tie-fighter game because they know that it was a masterpiece.

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Bornking.... what the hell?

SSE was a blending of 4X and RTS. If you don't like 4X then don't play it....
and X3 had less similarity to tie fighter than Freelancer did, which is to say they were both space sims of some variety. I can think of few that are as different as X3 and Tie Fighter.

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
X3 is more like the successor to the Elite games. If you're playing the X series as purely space combat games, you're missing the main point. Freespace2 does the combat better.