Sign in with
Your question

Fallout 3 "Survival Edition" Announced

Last response: in Video Games
June 6, 2008 6:20:57 PM

Article by Kevin Parrish

There won't be a Fallout 3 demo, but the game is getting a "Survival Edition." Bethesda announced an exclusive version of its forthcoming RPG on sale via Amazon that's packed with goodies.

http://www.tomsgames.com/us/2008/06/06/fallout3_survivaledition/
June 6, 2008 7:48:35 PM

You forgot to include "commemorative drink coaster" in that list.
Related resources
June 6, 2008 8:11:55 PM

Come on, Oh Snap. You know you want to buy it. Just think of how you could complain about Bethesda not only ruining the franchise, but also stealing your money!

Bah Amazon has the preorders for PS3 and Xbox 360 listed already, but where is the PC version ... I want that pipboy and bobble head even if the game turns out to be utter crap!

Edit:
Actually it is up, but it won't come up if you search for Fallout 3 Survival Edition ...
June 6, 2008 10:49:36 PM

Doggamnit ... oh well there goes $120. I want you to know this is your fault. Had I remained blissfully unaware of this I could have saved $50.
June 6, 2008 11:23:49 PM

infornography42 said:
Doggamnit ... oh well there goes $120. I want you to know this is your fault. Had I remained blissfully unaware of this I could have saved $50.

Yo my bad...
June 6, 2008 11:24:24 PM

clay12340 said:
Come on, Oh Snap. You know you want to buy it.

Sometimes I like to imagine that Tim Cain was head of development working with Black Isle studios to create this game, and that it'll be everything I could ever want from Fallout only better, and with amazing graphics coupled with realistic looking talking heads that don't have randomly changing expressions or voices midway through the conversation. Then I remember that Bethesda is making it :) 

6 reasons just off the top of my head why this game is going to be terrible:
- V.A.T.S.: "Pause" mode for an otherwise realtime combat system that's just a slap in the face to the players who enjoyed the turn-based combat that made FO1 and 2 what it was
- "Power Armor": It's not powered, it's **** metal plates. Slap in the face to original fans, another Bethesda "We're doing it our way, **** you" statement.
- Super Mutants: Another "**** you, Fallout fans" addition by making them look closer to the RTCW super soldiers than the original Fallout 1 & 2 Super Mutants.
- Exploding Nuclear Cars: You shoot them, and it causes a nuclear chain reaction. According to Pete Hines, this is going to be an integral combat tactic. Amazing.
- "Fatboy" Mini nuclear missile launcher: Hey if we throw in a bunch of nuclear explosions and radiation it'll be just like FO1 and 2!
- Flaming sword.

Please don't support Bethesda and their attempt to make money off of a title's fans whom they have absolutely no respect for. Just don't do it, and maybe, just maybe they'll go away.
June 7, 2008 4:04:03 AM

Well, while I loved the original fallout and Fallout 2, I had given up any real hope of a true sequel long ago. When Bethesda got their hands on it I immediately realized two things. 1. A new fallout game was inevitable and 2. they would take some creative licenses.

Since I went into this with those assumptions, it is not a big issue to me.

I want this game because I love fallout and I enjoyed oblivion and I can see a blending of the two working well.

I have seen insufficient evidence to make me expect anything less than fun. It won't be perfect, I knew that going in. But I do believe it will be good.
June 8, 2008 10:22:35 PM

"- "Fatboy" Mini nuclear missile launcher: Hey if we throw in a bunch of nuclear explosions and radiation it'll be just like FO1 and 2!"

Truly, I never was that into the game however I wanted to point this out in particular; tripod mounted low yield atomic rocket launchers were actually developed in the cold war although reportedly never used in a combat situation they have been tested as effective at their goal: spreading radiation to make areas uninhabitable for the sake of detterrance.

I do like the look of the new game regardless and for many such as myself who were never obsessed to a great degree with the original fallout games this article will likely be more than quite fun.

Perhaps half the reason that they went from a bit of a different angle was because the original fallout games were more cult games than huge blockbuster hits (how do you expect software companies to keep making games if they don't make money?) - where is Interplay now? They sold Fallout to Bethesda so they could actually start developing again because they were rock bottom. I mean I had fun with MDK and Descent for sure, but the company died out by trying to be almost too unique with their games is what it feels like to me.
June 9, 2008 1:53:18 PM

I would loved to have some retro looking ad posters. Like the Vault-Tec billboard landscape ad. Would aggravate the crap out of my finacee but hey she has her Chasing Amy poster next to her computer.

How functional is the "clock"? Radio? MP3? $50 more I would hope it has something else to it besides the look, don't get me wrong it is cool looking. :sol: 

Also with the fan base out there along with the construction set...I am will be waiting for someone to make a mod within the truer spirit of Fallout. :bounce: 
June 9, 2008 2:10:03 PM

Quote:
6 reasons just off the top of my head why this game is going to be terrible:
1.) - V.A.T.S.: "Pause" mode for an otherwise realtime combat system that's just a slap in the face to the players who enjoyed the turn-based combat that made FO1 and 2 what it was
2.) - "Power Armor": It's not powered, it's **** metal plates. Slap in the face to original fans, another Bethesda "We're doing it our way, **** you" statement.
3.) - Super Mutants: Another "**** you, Fallout fans" addition by making them look closer to the RTCW super soldiers than the original Fallout 1 & 2 Super Mutants.
4.) - Exploding Nuclear Cars: You shoot them, and it causes a nuclear chain reaction. According to Pete Hines, this is going to be an integral combat tactic. Amazing.
5.) - "Fatboy" Mini nuclear missile launcher: Hey if we throw in a bunch of nuclear explosions and radiation it'll be just like FO1 and 2!
6.) - Flaming sword.

* Numbers added for reference purposes.

I'll grant you two of those points. 3 and 6 seem a bit out of bounds to me as well. The flaming sword is kind of dumb, though I could understand a laser sword or a plasma sword considering you've got the guns already. It just doesn't fit well with the game in my opinion. Regardless the series had so many great melee weapons anyhow, I can't see the need to add some that should remain in the land of fantasy.

The design change on the super mutants is a bit disappointing as well. I feel like the main mutants should have kept the same look and feel of the original games. However, they are mutants and variations are to be expected. I don't have a problem with them introducing new ones, but the main ones should have stayed truer to the old images.

4 seems like a reasonably good addition to me. It's just destructive and interactive environments. If done well I see no reason that it wouldn't simply add to your combat options and possibly make blast radius weapons more desirable or less desirable depending on the situation.

5 is just a big rocket for all intents and purposes. I don't see why this one is a game breaker for you. Is it just the nuclear idea or what?

1 could go either way. I'm withholding judgment until I've had the chance to play it on my own, unfortunately this means I have to buy it first. If they stay somewhat true to the action points aspect of the game I don't see any reason that the pause system will be an issue. I imagine that it would play out something like KotOR did with the pauses after every action type system.

I have to admit that I don't understand what you're getting at with point 2. The original had armors that were powered and it had armors that were made of metal plates. Are you saying that the new armors are powered when they shouldn't be or should be powered and aren't?
June 9, 2008 5:07:14 PM

Quote:
4 seems like a reasonably good addition to me. It's just destructive and interactive environments. If done well I see no reason that it wouldn't simply add to your combat options and possibly make blast radius weapons more desirable or less desirable depending on the situation.

5 is just a big rocket for all intents and purposes. I don't see why this one is a game breaker for you. Is it just the nuclear idea or what?

My problem with these two is that they're basically trivializing nuclear weaponry by throwing it into the game everywhere, assuming that "Hey, if we put nukes and radiation all over it'll be just like the other two games!" without realizing that world war 3 and nuclear weapons always held a very serious tone in the first 2 games. Plus, it's kind of insulting to suggest that you could trigger a nuclear chain reaction by shooting a car's reactor.

Quote:
I have to admit that I don't understand what you're getting at with point 2. The original had armors that were powered and it had armors that were made of metal plates. Are you saying that the new armors are powered when they shouldn't be or should be powered and aren't?

The power armor worn by the Brotherhood of Steel is no longer powered. It's just metal plates, when before it was essentially a self contained unit that your character would "enter" and basically have enhanced str and massive damage reduction. You were a walking tank. Bethesda's "style" (if you could call it that) of power armor is just making the helmet look somewhat similar, and then slapping some metal plates on the body. It's just one of probably many examples people will find in the game of how they've just injected their own look without really considering whether or not what they're changing still makes sense or seems functional.

Seriously though, flaming sword? Someone deserves a ****' slap for that.
Anonymous
June 9, 2008 5:15:47 PM

bethesda makes terrible games. atleast you know there will be mods out the ass for it from the people who know what fallout should be.
June 9, 2008 9:47:59 PM

I wonder how long after FO3 comes out, someone will have a mod to put FO1 and or 2 in the FO3 engine.
June 9, 2008 10:09:21 PM

Does it still count as piracy if I don't play FO3 but just play the FO1 or 2 modded onto the FO3 engine? :D 
June 10, 2008 1:38:34 AM

Oh Snap said:
Does it still count as piracy if I don't play FO3 but just play the FO1 or 2 modded onto the FO3 engine? :D 

touche, i'm uncertain if that would count as pirating the engine or not =O
June 10, 2008 4:17:25 AM

Ooooh....

Nice...

I'll pass. I'll just buy the regular version. Don't excess crap to add clutter in my apartment.
!