Faded images in the web...please help

Why do the images and text appear faded / blurred in the web?
After unstalling SP2 because it slowed speed, had difficulty image
downloads, and difficulty entering pages of grafic arts message boards, now i
cant view the images in the web clearly.
I did a clean up to my pc and added a flash as recommended.

The images in my paint shop pro appear very clear...please, can someone help
me.

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 09:49:05 -0700, Evyta wrote:

> Why do the images and text appear faded / blurred in the web?
> After unstalling SP2 because it slowed speed, had difficulty image
> downloads, and difficulty entering pages of grafic arts message boards, now i
> cant view the images in the web clearly.
> I did a clean up to my pc and added a flash as recommended.
>
> The images in my paint shop pro appear very clear...please, can someone help
> me.

When you install SP2, some of the default XP settings return. Take a look
in Internet Options> Advanced to see if "resize images" got turned back on.
Resizing an image to fit a page can drop enough pixels that the image will
appear blurry. If the setting is re-enabled, try turning it off.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

"Sharon F" wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 09:49:05 -0700, Evyta wrote:
>
> > Why do the images and text appear faded / blurred in the web?
> > After unstalling SP2 because it slowed speed, had difficulty image
> > downloads, and difficulty entering pages of grafic arts message boards, now i
> > cant view the images in the web clearly.
> > I did a clean up to my pc and added a flash as recommended.
> >
> > The images in my paint shop pro appear very clear...please, can someone help
> > me.
>
> When you install SP2, some of the default XP settings return. Take a look
> in Internet Options> Advanced to see if "resize images" got turned back on.
> Resizing an image to fit a page can drop enough pixels that the image will
> appear blurry. If the setting is re-enabled, try turning it off.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Hello Sharon...Thanks for your reply, however, that has was already tried
and to no avail. The images; gif, jpeg..etc that appear on the web still look
blurred and or faded.

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 13:01:04 -0700, Evyta wrote:

> Hello Sharon...Thanks for your reply, however, that has was already tried
> and to no avail. The images; gif, jpeg..etc that appear on the web still look
> blurred and or faded.

What about Desktop Properties> Settings. Did the number of colors slip down
from 32 bit? Have you tried reinstalling your display drivers?

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Hello Sharon..the display props color quality is still at 32 bit and the
screen resolution at 1024 by 768 pix. What do you mean by reinstalling
display drivers?

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 17:09:01 -0700, Evyta wrote:

> Hello Sharon..the display props color quality is still at 32 bit and the
> screen resolution at 1024 by 768 pix. What do you mean by reinstalling
> display drivers?

Below is probably more than you want to know about drivers. Before reading
it, check that your monitor is securely attached to the system and that the
cables are not pinched anywhere.

To find out what drivers your hardware is using, open Display settings>
Advanced> Adapter> Properties> Driver.

Computers and display cards come with a driver designed to work with the
configuration that left the factory. As the system matures, driver updates
become available. You can opt to keep the original drivers or to install
the new drivers.

Windows Update site will show WHLQ drivers (I might have those letters
jumbled up but they're close). These drivers are tested and certified to be
stable in XP. They may not be the best or most current drivers available
for your hardware. They may not support all features your hardware is
capable of. But they usually can be counted on to provide good basic
functionality.

If your display adapter came with your computer at the time of purchase,
you should have a disk marked Drivers or a shortcut in your start menu that
goes to a tool to reinstall the OEM supplied drivers. You can also check
the OEM's website. They usually have copies of the original drivers
available for downloading. Sometimes you will find updated drivers too.

If the display card was purchased separately, it came with its own driver
disk. The manufacturer will have these same drivers on their website
available for downloading and installing. They will post updated versions
for that hardware as well.

You can read plenty in your system documentation and at the manufacturer's
websites about updating drivers. If after spending time studying the issue,
you are not comfortable with updating/reinstalling the drivers - don't.
Have a knowledgeable friend do it for you or call technical support for
your system and have them help you with it.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Hello Sharon,
Thanks for the insightful info on drivers. I purchased this pc on 5/04, and
I feel best having someone knowledgeble from Dell provide the needed help.
I'll try them again. Thanks for all your help...most appreciated.

"Sharon F" wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 17:09:01 -0700, Evyta wrote:
>
> > Hello Sharon..the display props color quality is still at 32 bit and the
> > screen resolution at 1024 by 768 pix. What do you mean by reinstalling
> > display drivers?
>
> Below is probably more than you want to know about drivers. Before reading
> it, check that your monitor is securely attached to the system and that the
> cables are not pinched anywhere.
>
> To find out what drivers your hardware is using, open Display settings>
> Advanced> Adapter> Properties> Driver.
>
> Computers and display cards come with a driver designed to work with the
> configuration that left the factory. As the system matures, driver updates
> become available. You can opt to keep the original drivers or to install
> the new drivers.
>
> Windows Update site will show WHLQ drivers (I might have those letters
> jumbled up but they're close). These drivers are tested and certified to be
> stable in XP. They may not be the best or most current drivers available
> for your hardware. They may not support all features your hardware is
> capable of. But they usually can be counted on to provide good basic
> functionality.
>
> If your display adapter came with your computer at the time of purchase,
> you should have a disk marked Drivers or a shortcut in your start menu that
> goes to a tool to reinstall the OEM supplied drivers. You can also check
> the OEM's website. They usually have copies of the original drivers
> available for downloading. Sometimes you will find updated drivers too.
>
> If the display card was purchased separately, it came with its own driver
> disk. The manufacturer will have these same drivers on their website
> available for downloading and installing. They will post updated versions
> for that hardware as well.
>
> You can read plenty in your system documentation and at the manufacturer's
> websites about updating drivers. If after spending time studying the issue,
> you are not comfortable with updating/reinstalling the drivers - don't.
> Have a knowledgeable friend do it for you or call technical support for
> your system and have them help you with it.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 13:01:04 -0700, Evyta wrote:

> Hello Sharon...Thanks for your reply, however, that has was already tried
> and to no avail. The images; gif, jpeg..etc that appear on the web still look
> blurred and or faded.

One more comment: If your own images look fine and the problem is just with
images on the web - your display and drivers could be perfectly fine.

People often load images of lesser quality for web display so that the
pages will load quickly. Those "faded" pictures are often graphical links
to more detailed copies of the images that are larger files and that will
take some time to load.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 17:09:01 -0700, "Evyta" <Evyta@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

If you're using one of those Internet accelerators [toast.net hands it out
free] check the quality setting there. it can go from 0 to 100% 0 being fog
everything, and 100 being no compression at all.