Scratch on Motherboard

trevard

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
Ouch, when installing the heatsink on my XP2400 I managed to scratch a couple of tracks on my Asus motherboard. Quite naturally now it won't boot up. I can see where the scratch is. Is there a way to repair this?

trevard

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
Unfortunately it did post. I was switching processors and accidently scratched a couple of the tracks going to the memory slots. So now I get a memory error when trying to boot up. I've tried all 3 memory slots to no avail.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
How fine are the tracks? I know you can get pens which lay down conductive 'ink', so you <i>might</i> be able to repair the tracks if they aren't too close together...

Aside from that I think it's new mobo time.

HTH

---
:smile: :tongue: :smile:

trevard

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
They are sort of close together, but I think that I might be able to repair them. Does anybody know what the best way is to reestablish the conductivity between these tracks?

phr0ze

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
Try a trace pen.... www.cyberguys.com

they have em for about 7 bucks. Good for other things too.

There is a chance too much damage was done. You may also want to remove a little of the insulation from both sides of the scratch so the pen can get good contact.

Good luck. I feel your pain :(

---------------------------------------
phr0Ze

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There are a couple ways to repair them. The easiest is this: If you can trace the trace to a solder point on each side, you can solder fine wire from one solder point to the other.
The other way is to carefully remove the protective coating over the trace, and connect the hole with conductive ink/laquer. You'll have to find a place to buy either a conductive pen or conductive laquer (which can be applied with a toothpick). Fine sandpaper can be used to CAREFULLY remove the coating.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

G

Hi Crashman. I need repair a lot of motherboard that can have scratch....
can you help me by on line? my msn messenger = missdata@hotmail.com
and my email info@missdata.com

thank you in advance
Scilla