Sign in with
Your question

Is Grand Theft Auto IV really a perfect 10?

Last response: in Video Games

Is Grand Theft Auto IV the Perfect Game?

Total: 17 votes (3 blank votes)

• You darn tootin' it is! I'd give it an 11 !!!
  • 8 %
  • It's a great game, but not a perfect 10.
  • 43 %
  • I'm already sick of it.
  • 15 %
  • It's a good rental.
  • 0 %
  • There's no such thing as a perfect 10.
  • 8 %
  • Grand Theft Auto IV is overrated
  • 15 %
  • Reviewers giving GTA IV must have been bribed, period.
  • 0 %
  • Grand Theft Auto IV is utter crap.
  • 15 %
  • It's the American Dream.
  • 0 %
  • I'm addicted and I haven't slept, showered or eaten for days.
  • 0 %
June 9, 2008 1:36:52 PM

I need your help. I've heard quite a lot of consumers say that Grand Theft Auto IV is not a perfect 10, but a good rental at best. I'm throwing up a poll to get your opinion (if you've played it, that is). I have a hunch that a lot of reviews were "primed" on behalf of the developer and publisher based on what I've heard. Even our very own Rob Wright said he was sick of playing it... how is that a result of a perfect game?

However, if you think GTA IV is simply divine and a gift from the heavens, then let us know! Cast your vote!
June 9, 2008 2:00:04 PM

This poll is closed, you cannot vote.

I've not played a lot of it, but what I did play was a very good game.

I was however disappointed by it, however I think this was more due to the hardware (XBOX360) than the game itself.

I was expecting HiDef gaming to look better, and less hazy. The pop-up on it I found awful too, although I have heard that mine may have been an isolated case. I once managed to hit a lamp-post before it had been rendered!

Good game, but never a perfect 10.
June 9, 2008 2:34:55 PM

apparently the pop-up and haze are not there on the PS3, they gave the PS3 version a larger view distance and the lampposts and trees don't just appear.

ive tried it a few times on the 360, but the driving in it is awful should be more like Driver 2, point and go sort of arcade driving not the slide all over and cant take corners kind.
Related resources
June 9, 2008 4:56:06 PM

mi1ez said:
This poll is closed, you cannot vote.
I was expecting HiDef gaming to look better, and less hazy. The pop-up on it I found awful too, although I have heard that mine may have been an isolated case. I once managed to hit a lamp-post before it had been rendered!

Good luck with that, most of the console games run at or less than 720p (the xbox version of gta4 I believe is 720p, the ps3 version 640p).
June 9, 2008 5:52:12 PM

Flakes said:
apparently the pop-up and haze are not there on the PS3, they gave the PS3 version a larger view distance and the lampposts and trees don't just appear.

ive tried it a few times on the 360, but the driving in it is awful should be more like Driver 2, point and go sort of arcade driving not the slide all over and cant take corners kind.

Actually, I'm playing the PS3 version and to me, it looks worse. There's still some graphics glitches, and I can't seem to get the contrast and brightness right so that I can actually tell what the hell is going on at night/in the dark. If you play this game with the default display settings, you'll be lost whenever you're in a dark alley or street or, worse, running into shadows. Just a huge error in my opinion.

I will say that after an extremely poor first 5-10 hours, the game has steadily improved and seems to keep getting better the further you go. And it's got lots of content to explore and enjoy. But a 10? The best GTA yet? I cannot support that view in any way shape or form. I plan on expanding on the above points in a future column, so stay tuned...
June 9, 2008 6:40:21 PM

It should be on the pc then we will see if its a perfect 10
June 9, 2008 6:55:27 PM

Xternal said:
It should be on the pc then we will see if its a perfect 10

+1

I would like to some real hardware running the game at a rez higher than 720p and @ x16AA.

Not to mention I would like to play the game as I dont own a PS3 or 360.
June 9, 2008 10:19:26 PM

Anything designed exclusively for console is far from 10 (except Earthbound and Super Mario RPG).

Quote:
I plan on expanding on the above points in a future column, so stay tuned...

STAYIN TUNED! :D 
June 9, 2008 10:35:33 PM

i hate consoles, but i like gta4
i wouldn't give it a perfect 10, though.

why couldn't they have increased detail graphics a little like some other games?
and i agree about the driving, it is super hard.

trialsking
i doubt you could tell the difference from 8aa and 16aa, maybe even 4aa.
June 9, 2008 11:26:21 PM

Oh Snap said:
Anything designed exclusively for console is far from 10 (except Earthbound and Super Mario RPG).

Quote:
I plan on expanding on the above points in a future column, so stay tuned...

STAYIN TUNED! :D 

Goldeneye, Phantasy Star IV (I have 1, 2 and 3, but never tried to play em) and Chronor Trigger. The only console games I could give a 10 (or 11). Super Mario RPG was awesome: 9.9999 (round to 10), Earthbound wasn't for me.
June 10, 2008 2:41:43 AM

Hey Rob, did you like San Andreas more? I really liked Vice City and San Andreas (except for the eating and working out parts).
June 10, 2008 10:58:34 AM

robwright said:
Actually, I'm playing the PS3 version and to me, it looks worse. There's still some graphics glitches, and I can't seem to get the contrast and brightness right so that I can actually tell what the hell is going on at night/in the dark. If you play this game with the default display settings, you'll be lost whenever you're in a dark alley or street or, worse, running into shadows. Just a huge error in my opinion.

I will say that after an extremely poor first 5-10 hours, the game has steadily improved and seems to keep getting better the further you go. And it's got lots of content to explore and enjoy. But a 10? The best GTA yet? I cannot support that view in any way shape or form. I plan on expanding on the above points in a future column, so stay tuned...

im just going off what ive been told by users and what the general opinion between users seems to be on a few other forums. ive only played the 360 version but i have the same issue with all the GTA games (and really any other game on a console) that i hate the very small view distance.

looking forward to a down to earth review of the game Rob. Also just a thought but you could compare the 360 and ps3 versions, and put all the rumours to rest :) 
June 10, 2008 5:51:48 PM

First we have games like Call of Duty 3 developed only for consoles, then there are claims of piracy from Crytek, so they will not develop any more PC-only titles. But the crap has certainly hit the fan now, as the champion for PC gaming himself, Rob Wright, is playing this console game! PC gaming is surely dead now....

In all seriousness, I'd like to give my opinion of this game. The GTA games have never been my thing (i.e. I think it's stupid to buy a hot dog or go eat with a Jamaican dude you can't understand, or go on dates in a video game when these things are fairly cheap and infinitely more fun to do in real life), but in the most objective opinion I can muster, I just don't think this game was all that great. Granted, I did not physically play it myself more than about 15 minutes (during which I drove around waiting for a phone call...woot), but I did watch my roommate play it for probably a total of 3-4 cumulative hours, and I do feel like you can get a good sense of how good a game is by watching someone play it for that long, even if I didn't play it much myself. I couldn't get over how much he would do the same things over and over...drug pick-up, something goes wrong, run from cops...beat up guy who's pestering your annoying brother, something goes wrong, run from more robust cops...and so forth. The cover system is nowhere near as good, in my opinion, as games that revolutionized the idea, like Gears of War and Rainbow Six: Vegas, and he would constantly get frustrated at how the auto-aim system would just jump to whatever enemy it wanted to next, not really who you wanted to shoot. And this may sound like nit-picking, but I can't stand the way any of the characters in the GTA games run...they look sooo stupid, but since that is such a huge part of the game, it's something I would complain about. The same went for the Max Payne games....I loved both of those games, but man, he ran like he had a board shoved up his butt. Graphically, I was unimpressed too...tons of jaggies and the frame rate was ehhh. But then, I usually would rather lower some settings and bump gameplay up to 45+ fps than have it be a beautiful, Crysis-like slide show.

What the game lacks in my opinion, though, I think it makes up for in many regards. It's crazy long, so if you like eating virtual hot dogs and getting lap dances from polygonal characters, or running from the same cops over and over again for 40+ hours, then it's a good value. Also it has the multiplayer and what-not, and I do think the developers must have spent a CRAP-ton of time building the city, and the car models (which I think look very good). So I feel like for people that like open-ended games like this, I think reviews should have stuck to the 8.5-9.0 range, and for me it would probably be like a 7.0. From what I saw, I think I'd rather go back and play Mafia (which I thought was incredible) than play through GTA 4. Anyway, two cents isn't worth much, but there's mine!
June 10, 2008 11:51:17 PM

it was an ok game, didn't seem as long as the older GTA games but at least they got rid of the timed crap

the game is more like a 6/10

the reason why it did so well is because of their fanbase, it is like how a good singer releases a crappy cd and the fans still buy it even though their latest was utter crap
June 11, 2008 3:43:04 AM

At first I loved it, and then after 30 hours I began to hate it. Then after picking it up again a month later and finally beating it, I've come to love it again.
June 11, 2008 4:16:56 AM

San Pedro said:
Hey Rob, did you like San Andreas more? I really liked Vice City and San Andreas (except for the eating and working out parts).

While GTA III was the pioneer, I consider Vice City to be the best, but I'm biased because a close friend of mine did the mo-cap for Tommy Vercetti. Also, Vice City had style. Yes, it was heavily influenced by Scarface. But it nailed the whole Miami Vice-like 80s setting. Great voice cast, great music, great missions. A classic.

Once I'm finally done with the PS3 version, I'll have another go at the 360 and try to do some kind of comparison.
June 11, 2008 1:18:29 PM

I was just dissapointed by PS3 version. Bought my ps3 for this game, and honestly believed it would be better on ps3. Then after seeing some of the comparison videos (gametrailers has a good one in hd) realized that ps3 is inferior version with its lack of AA, 640 res, and even slower frame rates. Sometimes it just gets way too blurry, overall its a dissapointment for me, I ended up beating GT5 prologue, still waiting for MSG4 then maybe I'll finish gta. Just waiting for a PC version to crank it up on max, San Andreas still looks crisp and clear on max, compared to IV.
June 11, 2008 2:34:19 PM

robwright said:
... I consider Vice City to be the best...

I haven't taken the GTA PC plunge yet. I played some of the original on PS 2; it was ok.

Maybe I'll order Vice City off of Steam.
June 12, 2008 9:09:03 AM

hey

is 360 better than ps3 for this game? i'm noob in that 720p stuff
June 12, 2008 3:44:14 PM

vochtige said:
hey

is 360 better than ps3 for this game? i'm noob in that 720p stuff
I've played both versions side by side; the 360 version does run at a higher resolution and look slightly sharper, although the difference appeared quite small when watched side by side on my 65" 1080p DLP TV. The 360's framerate seemed a little bit better in less intense situations, but when traffic was heavy with a lot going on, the 360's framerate seemed to be comparable to the PS3 version. One thing that is noticeably different is the amount of pop-in you experience. When I played GTA IV on my 360, I noticed more pop-in driving the minivan on the 360 than I noticed driving the Infernus on the PS3. That's not to say there isn't pop-in with the PS3 version because there is, but it's not as severe as the game uses a 3.3GB install to the hard drive to cut back load times. I own both platforms, but decided on the PS3 version because it suffers from less pop-in, the PS3 is a lot quieter than the 360, I like the Dual Shock 3 more than the Xbox360 controller, and I'd rather not worry about my console dying as I had my 360 red ring back in March. Honestly though, either version of this game is great and I'd recommend at least giving it a rent if you own the 360 or PS3.
!