restoring files from another computer

i cant get microsoft works to read my microsoft excel files

You can open an Excel spreadsheet in Works very easily.
Once you have started the Works Spreadsheet application,
go to File/Open.

In the Open dialogue box, change the Files of Type to
Excel (*.xls) and then locate your Excel file.

Works will open the file directly from Excel format.
You can then save the file as a Works sheet.

Works: Sharing Works Files with Other Programs
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;271080

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP