Upgrading to Windows XP w/ limited hard drive space

Hi,
I need to upgrade my PC from Windows 98 to XP, but I don't have enough hard
drive space. Is it possible to add a second hard drive and then install XP
on the new hard drive? If so, will I run into any problems doing this? Are
there any alternatives?
Thank you,
Tim-Coffee289
3 answers Last reply
More about upgrading windows limited hard drive space

    Tim-Coffee289 wrote:
    > I need to upgrade my PC from Windows 98 to XP, but I don't have
    > enough hard drive space. Is it possible to add a second hard drive
    > and then install XP on the new hard drive? If so, will I run into
    > any problems doing this? Are there any alternatives?

    Purchase your larger hard drive. (Make sure the hardware supports what you
    purchase and install.)
    Take out the old drive completely.
    Disconnect your computer from the Internet.
    Install the new hard drive and install Windows XP.
    Once you have Windows XP Installed and the Firewall on, connect to the
    Internet and update to SP2 at least.
    Update all hardware drivers from the hardware manufacturer.
    Put your old hard drive back in the machine as a SLAVE drive..
    Copy your data off of it onto your new drive.
    Install your old applications (Office apps, etc) onto your new install of
    Windows XP.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    "Tim-Coffee289" <Tim-Coffee289@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:EB26BFA4-9606-49A0-8A05-A0F326A3D603@microsoft.com
    > Hi,
    > I need to upgrade my PC from Windows 98 to XP, but I don't have
    > enough hard drive space. Is it possible to add a second hard drive
    > and then install XP on the new hard drive? If so, will I run into
    > any problems doing this? Are there any alternatives?
    > Thank you,
    > Tim-Coffee289

    Yes, you can install WinXP on a second drive and retain your current OS on
    the C: drive.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    Hi Tim,

    Yes you can do that. But what is your objective here?

    If you want a new installation of WinXP, then simply add the hard drive,
    boot Win98, insert the WinXP CD and follow the new installation path,
    pointing to the new drive as the destination. This will result in a dual
    boot situation where you will be able to use and run either operating
    system. This may have advantages if some of your older software or devices
    are not supported under WinXP, or if you are unsure if your system is
    sufficient to run WinXP well (it requires a lot of overhead, minimum specs
    give minimal performance).

    If you want an upgrade to Win98, this is what I would do: Install the new
    drive, partition and format at least a primary DOS partition in FAT32. Then
    use the software that comes with the drive (most do, if not then check the
    drive maker's web site for a free utility) to copy the Win98 installation
    from its existing location to the new drive. Then shutdown and set the new
    drive as the master, removing the old drive for now. Boot Win98, make sure
    everything loads. Then insert the WinXP CD and follow the upgrade path.
    After installation is complete, you can reattach the old drive as a slave
    for storage.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Tim-Coffee289" <Tim-Coffee289@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I need to upgrade my PC from Windows 98 to XP, but I don't have enough
    > hard
    > drive space. Is it possible to add a second hard drive and then install
    > XP
    > on the new hard drive? If so, will I run into any problems doing this?
    > Are
    > there any alternatives?
    > Thank you,
    > Tim-Coffee289