CPU is running at 100%, help

I have a two year old Dell running Win XP PRO.
The computer is running very very slow, CPU is always at 100%, and the
computer creates 2000MBs of virtual memory.
MacAfee anti-virus expired two months ago.
Tried a recovery install, after 5 hours still would not finish reloading.
Tried wiping hard drive, even removed Dells EISA boot partition.
So with a fresh primary partition, tried reinstalling again,
still would not finish installing after 3 hoursAny ideas ?

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 15:43:27 GMT, "Tod" <no_spam_me@comcast.net> wrote:

sounds like a dying hard drive.
when did you last do a full check of the hard drive?

>I have a two year old Dell running Win XP PRO.
>The computer is running very very slow, CPU is always at 100%, and the
>computer creates 2000MBs of virtual memory.
>MacAfee anti-virus expired two months ago.
>Tried a recovery install, after 5 hours still would not finish reloading.
>Tried wiping hard drive, even removed Dells EISA boot partition.
>So with a fresh primary partition, tried reinstalling again,
>still would not finish installing after 3 hoursAny ideas ?

Installed the hard drive as a 2nd in my other computer.
Removed all partitions, made one single partition and reformatted twice, no
problem there.